well the title pretty much says it all. ive been scouring the interenet trying to find an answer to this question, but to no avail. im considering swapping out the pots in my riviera as its a little on the dark side but im insure as to what the values of its existing pots are. i would appreciate any help or information.

it has p90's
Guitars:
Gretsch Electromatic Pro Jet w/bigsby

Effects:
Boss tuner
Danelectro Wasabi Overdrive
Proco Rat 2
EH Russian Big Muff Pi
VooDoo Labs Tremolo
EB Volume Pedal Jr
Line6 DL4

Amps:
Hot Rod Deville 410+orange ppc212ob
Last edited by heyjohnnypark! at Sep 9, 2009,
It should say somewhere on them.
Gear:
Ibanez RG570 circa 1993
Ibanez S2020XAV
Carvin DC127
EVH 5153 50w
Orange PPC112
AxeFX II
im unsure how to extract them because its a semi hollow and they are not easy to get to, i would have just pulled em out if i could have done it easily
Guitars:

Effects:
Boss tuner
Proco Rat 2
EH Russian Big Muff Pi
VooDoo Labs Tremolo
EB Volume Pedal Jr
Line6 DL4

Amps:
My guess is 500k, but you can really use any value you want. 250k-1Meg. I tend to use 1 Meg pots in everything nowadays.
If they are humbuckers, there's an extremely high chance they are 500k. From my experience, gibson/epi pups do better with 1M pots.

I guess they are dark by design. my 500T (even my 490T and R) are too muddy, but I can't find split-shaft 1M pots so I'm dealing with 500k atm.
^ thanks for the tip, i figured they might be 500 k, but the guitar is very dark so i thought they might be 250ks in there. what do you like about the 1 meg pots as opposed to 250k/500k pots?
Guitars:

Effects:
Boss tuner
Proco Rat 2
EH Russian Big Muff Pi
VooDoo Labs Tremolo
EB Volume Pedal Jr
Line6 DL4

Amps:
well tbh, I find them too bright for almost any pup, but it wasn't too shrill with the 500T loaded in my strat.

I like 250k only for single coils or low-impedance humbuckers (like 8k jazz buckers).

Any humbucker with an impedance of more than 8k goes great with 500k imo.

The only think I can stand to use 1M on is that 500T, which does pretty bad cleans (switching the coils into parallel fixes this, though).

It's mostly up to personal taste, but maybe there's a good starting point for you.
thank you all for the help
Guitars:

Effects:
Boss tuner
Proco Rat 2
EH Russian Big Muff Pi
VooDoo Labs Tremolo
EB Volume Pedal Jr
Line6 DL4

Amps:
I never understood how Pot value affects tone? i just thought it affects the volume sweep.
higher resistances bleed less treble frequencies to ground (the pot is grounded at one end).

it's literally the same as having a resistor to ground in series with the signal.

So say the volume is at 10, that's like putting a 500k resistor across the terminals of the output jack with the signal wired to the hot lug as normal. This'll leech highs out of the signal and to ground because highs travel through resistors easier than lows.