So I wasn't sure where this should go so I thought I'd throw it in the pit.

Usually I play blues and classic rock, but after hearing some jazz on the local public radio last week I've been on a huge jazz kick. Way more range and flexibility, not something I'm used to. So pretty much anybody else on a new found jazz binge?

also first post
Quote by TheMystic
So I wasn't sure where this should go so I thought I'd throw it in the pit.

Usually I play blues and classic rock, but after hearing some jazz on the local public radio last week I've been on a huge jazz kick. Way more range and flexibility, not something I'm used to. So pretty much anybody else on a new found jazz binge?

also first post

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by TheMystic
also first post

enjoi yourself

Quote by Arrived+Dparted

Zeus's beard, I died of laughter
I've been on a Jazz and Fusion binge for nearly 2 years.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Doppelgänger
ಠ_ಠ

I believe he meant it's the first time he's posted on UG.Check his join date.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
I meant it moreso as a genre-X binge.

I think I read that it's descended from jazz in some way, though.
Wes Montgomery, I asked the same question quite a while ago and found this to be a good answer.
Quote by 20cdndollars
You are god, floppypick

Floppydick

If that's how you read my name, leave a message saying so on my profile
I'll have to look up some of his stuff...

And I can't say I've heard too much jazz fusion, have any recommendations
Quote by TheMystic

Chick Corea (and his bands: Return to Forever, Elektrik Band, Elektrik Band II, etc.), Herbie Hancock, Bruford, Brand X, Jaco Pastorius, Weather Report, Jeff Beck, John McLaughlin (especially Mahavishnu Orchestra)
Quote by TheMystic

Chick Corea Elektric Band, John Scofield, Allan Holdsworth, and Chad Wackerman are where I got my start.

EDIT: ^Jaco Pastorius is a good one as well. I'm not a huge McLaughlin fan except his stuff in Mahavishnu Orchestra.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
Chick Corea Elektric Band, John Scofield, Allan Holdsworth, and Chad Wackerman are where I got my start.

EDIT: ^Jaco Pastorius is a good one as well. I'm not a huge McLaughlin fan except his stuff in Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Hell yes, also 70's Zappa, Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, Miles Davis, Larry Coryell.
Wes Montgomery was an excellent suggestion, I've already heard some Herbie he's pretty good as well.

I'm surprise (and happy) noone has suggested coltrane yet even if he is a sax player
Last edited by TheMystic at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by Zomby Woof
Hell yes, also 70's Zappa, Mike Stern, Pat Metheny, Miles Davis, Larry Coryell.

I love Mike Stern and Metheny's a monster player. TS, I think you're gonna like the world of Jazz. I didn't like it when I first started playing guitar but I heard John Scofield's album Uberjam and was hooked and then I found Holdsworth, Corea, etc.

I'd also recommend Tony William's Lifetime, particularly the album Believe It. It's got Holdsworth on guitar in a much rawer setting than what you normally hear. I'd recommend anything with Jimmy Herring in it as well, like Widespread Panic. Jean Luc Ponty has some sweet stuff as well. I guess you could throw Larry Carlton and Robben Ford under Fusion as well. Also try Tribal Tech and Vital Tech Tones. It's got Scott Henderson on guitar and he's one of my favorite players.

EDIT: If you're into Coltrane, check out Michael Brecker.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Last edited by mmolteratx at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by mmolteratx
I love Mike Stern and Metheny's a monster player. TS, I think you're gonna like the world of Jazz. I didn't like it when I first started playing guitar but I heard John Scofield's album Uberjam and was hooked and then I found Holdsworth, Corea, etc.

I'd also recommend Tony William's Lifetime, particularly the album Believe It. It's got Holdsworth on guitar in a much rawer setting than what you normally hear. I'd recommend anything with Jimmy Herring in it as well, like Widespread Panic. Jean Luc Ponty has some sweet stuff as well. I guess you could throw Larry Carlton and Robben Ford under Fusion as well. Also try Tribal Tech and Vital Tech Tones. It's got Scott Henderson on guitar and he's one of my favorite players.

EDIT: If you're into Coltrane, check out Michael Brecker.

My friend, you have awesome taste.

and by the way, I've seen Mike, Pat, John, and Chick twice.
Yea I've actually been listening to Metheney for a while it just never led me to get into more jazz. (I also had only been playing for about a year when I first heard him so I was like not even worth looking at)
Quote by Zomby Woof
My friend, you have awesome taste.

and by the way, I've seen Mike, Pat, John, and Chick twice.

And you as do as well.

I can't take all the credit. My guitar teacher introduced me to alot of that stuff. I wanted to see Chick and McLaughlin when they were here with the Five Peace Band but I didn't have any money. I did catch Holdsworth last time he was here though, same with Al Di Meola. I'd love to see Mike and John though, both seem like they would be awesome live. Have you heard of Oz Noy? I saw him with Eric Johnson at a small club gig and got to talk to them a bit before and after the show.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
And you as do as well.

I can't take all the credit. My guitar teacher introduced me to alot of that stuff. I wanted to see Chick and McLaughlin when they were here with the Five Peace Band but I didn't have any money. I did catch Holdsworth last time he was here though, same with Al Di Meola. I'd love to see Mike and John though, both seem like they would be awesome live. Have you heard of Oz Noy? I saw him with Eric Johnson at a small club gig and got to talk to them a bit before and after the show.

Ya I saw the Five Peace Band... Amazing. Also, was Wackerman with Holdsworth? That guy is sick as well.

I saw Al with Return To Forever.

Mike and John were both awesome. I saw Mike in a little tiny club in Baltimore, and I was lucky enough to see John when I went to New Orleans for Jazz Fest. He played with his "Gospel" band, and that was pretty cool.

I have truly been lucky to see all these great musicians.

I have heard of Oz Noy, just cause one of my favorite drummers, (Vinnie Coluiata) plays on his CD. I like his song "Fuzzy".
Quote by Zomby Woof
Ya I saw the Five Peace Band... Amazing. Also, was Wackerman with Holdsworth? That guy is sick as well.

I saw Al with Return To Forever.

Mike and John were both awesome. I saw Mike in a little tiny club in Baltimore, and I was lucky enough to see John when I went to New Orleans for Jazz Fest. He played with his "Gospel" band, and that was pretty cool.

I have truly been lucky to see all these great musicians.

I have heard of Oz Noy, just cause one of my favorite drummers, (Vinnie Coluiata) plays on his CD. I like his song "Fuzzy".

Yea, Wackerman was with Holdsworth. Anyone who's played with both Holdsworth and Zappa has to be incredible. Coluiata is awesome too. There are so many jazz musicians that you hear and just go holy ****, this is something I've never heard done before. That's what really draws me to jazz.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, Wackerman was with Holdsworth. Anyone who's played with both Holdsworth and Zappa has to be incredible. Coluiata is awesome too. There are so many jazz musicians that you hear and just go holy ****, this is something I've never heard done before. That's what really draws me to jazz.

Definitely, the amount of skill is just amazing in all of them. What amazes me, is listening to an old Miles record, and hearing Chick and John there, and hearing the way they play like 35 years ago, then seeing them, and their like 10x better! You're like how did this happen?
Quote by Zomby Woof
Definitely, the amount of skill is just amazing in all of them. What amazes me, is listening to an old Miles record, and hearing Chick and John there, and hearing the way they play like 35 years ago, then seeing them, and their like 10x better! You're like how did this happen?

Yea, it's awesome hearing the musical evolution of people like that. If you listen to 70s Holdsworth and Holdsworth now, it's obviously the same guy but he's become so much more refined and even more unique. And hearing guys like Chick break musical boundaries with Miles and hearing him still pushing the boundaries today is just incredible.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by mmolteratx
Yea, it's awesome hearing the musical evolution of people like that. If you listen to 70s Holdsworth and Holdsworth now, it's obviously the same guy but he's become so much more refined and even more unique. And hearing guys like Chick break musical boundaries with Miles and hearing him still pushing the boundaries today is just incredible.

Wow, we definitely hijacked this thread.

Back on topic, it makes me wonder who from today will still be pushing those boundaries, in a long time.
haha TS, I had the exact same thing last week

listen to the band Return to Forever, you will like them