Guys I have been playing through my comp using amplitube 2 for a while now, I absolutely love it... but I would like to get a real amp for a change. I have a epi les paul and play some hendrix, rhcp, and blues. I have about $150 to spend. I currently live in a college dorm so this means a really really really quiet tube (yea I know, oxymoron) or a good SS amp. I was looking at probably the vox ac4tv, epi valve jr maybe an orange crush? I'm not that good with picking ss amps. I don't really want a modeller or a ton of effects, just an eq really... I'm gonna buy some pedals later anyway, thanks
with only 150 dollars, you're best off just using amplitube for now. the vox ain't half bad though
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
AC4tv is probably your best choice for the genres you play, plus it is the most quiet. I'd go for it. (You can always buy an EQ pedal.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
yea that is what I was thinking of getting the vox amp, I've listened to it (youtube) and it sound good. Any other amps that I may have missed?
u can get a peavey vypyr for around that much, its a decent amp
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
I found that I didn't like the Vyper that much. I found most of the presets super-buzzy. The Vox is a much better deal. Tube distortion without blowing your ears, for the price of SS distortion.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Really Cheap options??? - Your gonna have to get something used with 150, what major city do you live by. I'd love to do some CL trolling.

Blackheart Killer Ant 1w / 5w Little Giant

Epi Valve Jr with cab (seen some together around 200 on eBay)

Vox AC4TV

Fender Champ

You might find a Blackstar HT-5 for about 300, (little more saving to do.)

The best/cheap SS amps that UG has brought up are a wash (aka - hard to get a good consensus at times), but a Peavey Bandit shouldnt set you back to far.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Last edited by Jonny Ryan Mac at Sep 9, 2009,