I was thinking of getting a Boss Chorus pedal to "thicken" up my sound a little bit. I'm on my overdrive channel about 90% of the time (hard rock music) and was wondering if Chorus sounds good with overdrive or if it's essentially a "clean" pedal. Thanks.
Quote by drewfromutah
I was thinking of getting a Boss Chorus pedal to "thicken" up my sound a little bit. I'm on my overdrive channel about 90% of the time (hard rock music) and was wondering if Chorus sounds good with overdrive or if it's essentially a "clean" pedal. Thanks.

It depends on how you use your chorus pedal, where in the effects chain you use it and how much distortion you use.

Yes, the chorus pedal can be used to fatten and thicken up a distorted tone, but if you use a distortion heavy sound, the chorus will just muddy up your tone and you'll get lost in the mix.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
personally I love chorus on my clean tone, but not so much for my overdrive sound.

it does/can sound good with overdrive
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by ragingkitty
It depends on how you use your chorus pedal, where in the effects chain you use it and how much distortion you use.

Yes, the chorus pedal can be used to fatten and thicken up a distorted tone, but if you use a distortion heavy sound, the chorus will just muddy up your tone and you'll get lost in the mix.

I guess I'm not 100% clear on what the pedal does. As far as I know it duplicates your signal and delays it just a tiny bit so it sounds like two guitars are playing. I don't have any effects other than a TS7 (which I barely use -- pretty much just use my amps OD channel).
I use my Digitech Whammy at the front of my effects chain for chorus i.e. before the distortion. On clean it sounds like a dream, but with any overdrive/distortion it pretty much seems to function as a bad delay pedal.
Ibanez Jem7vwh
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Martin DX1KE
Marshall AVT100
Orange Crush 30R
Digitech Whammy IV
Dunlop Crybaby Wah SW95
Line 6 Echo Park
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
Quote by drewfromutah
I guess I'm not 100% clear on what the pedal does. As far as I know it duplicates your signal and delays it just a tiny bit so it sounds like two guitars are playing. I don't have any effects other than a TS7 (which I barely use -- pretty much just use my amps OD channel).

You are largely correct, however, note that the delay is also variable, so a chorus pedal can actually make it sound like you have several guitars playing the same thing over each other. It effectively makes your signal sound like it doubles up on itself, or triple etc etc.

If you place your chorus pedal in the effect chain, it makes your guitar signal sound like several guitar playing over each other.

If you place your chorus pedal before your amp's front end, it will make your guitar signal sound... fat, thick and somewhat fuzzy.

Also, on a distorted signal, as you increase the delay of the signal, you get a droning tone.

With a chorus pedal, as you add more distortion, it gives you a fattier sound, but it quickly moves into muddy territory.

As a general rule, chorus pedals work better on clean or low to moderately distorted signals.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 9, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty

As a general rule, chorus pedals work better on clean or low to moderately distorted signals when ran in front of the amp and not the effects loop.

fixed
My Gear
Guitars:

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Quote by JLT73

Originally Posted by ragingkitty

As a general rule, chorus pedals work better on clean or low to moderately distorted signals.

UNFIXED

Where it sounds best is a subjective matter, I prefer my chorus in the effects loop, after my signal has been coloured by my preamp section.

When placed before the amp, on my Krank Rev Jr Pro, the chorus sounds thin and nasally. When in the effects loop, it sounds fat and shimmering.

Chorus is a modulation effect, and by definition should be inside a effects loop.

However, I do recognize that it does sound better in the effects loop on some amp, while on others it sounds better before the effects loop.

Where you like yours is a matter of opinion.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
i have to recomend, if you want a chorus, the Carl Martin Classic Chorus, i got one on mondy and it sounds amazing

sounds great with clean and dirty channels, if a bit synthy with fuzz.
and thanks for the ideas of putting it befotrre the amp, i might try that.

this pedal has a level that can be used to boost the signal, for extra juice in the tubes
I actually quite like the sound of chorus on a dirty tone (if done right) I think the way it fattens everything up sounds pretty awesome, but I would definitely effects loop it.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Chorus can work well for leads & harmonies when placed before distortion. Doesn't sound too good for riffs (gets a bit muddled), but can work for big power chords.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by ragingkitty
UNFIXED

Where it sounds best is a subjective matter, I prefer my chorus in the effects loop, after my signal has been coloured by my preamp section.

When placed before the amp, on my Krank Rev Jr Pro, the chorus sounds thin and nasally. When in the effects loop, it sounds fat and shimmering.

Chorus is a modulation effect, and by definition should be inside a effects loop.

However, I do recognize that it does sound better in the effects loop on some amp, while on others it sounds better before the effects loop.

Where you like yours is a matter of opinion.

should have went into more explanation that just fixed in my last post.

refering to the muddiness etc that you mentioned, I have found that the chorus doesn't really have as nearly as much of those "problems" when it is in the effects loops. When ran in fron of the amp then those"problems" are more profound.

basically everything you just said, is what I should have put in my previous post.
My Gear
Guitars:

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Thanks guys. My amp does indeed have an FX loop so I may be purchasing a reasonably inexpensive Chorus and experimenting with placement to see what I can do. I'd say my playing is about 75% chords (power chords, minor and major chords) and the rest is lead riffs.