Page 1 of 2
Dear the Pit, I am going to college soon and need to start thinking about a major. I narrowed what I want to do down to Mechanical Enginnering or some form of medical practice. I think I would enjoy being an Engineer much more, but going into almost any medical field makes alot more money, and wouldn''t be a terrible alternitive. Any advice?

BTW, for those of you in college, what are you majoring in?
i am in college for engineering and i would definitely recommend it. but you better like to do math
Quote by captainjackass
Dear the Pit, I am going to college soon and need to start thinking about a major. I narrowed what I want to do down to Mechanical Enginnering or some form of medical practice. I think I would enjoy being an Engineer much more, but going into almost any medical field makes alot more money, and wouldn''t be a terrible alternitive. Any advice?

Did you watch Obama's speech on health care tonight?
Go with ANY engineering degree.
definitely engineering. get your PhD, you can still be called "dr" and you don't have to worry about malpractice.
Gear:
2003 Fender Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
2010 EBMM BFR JP6
2012 Babicz Identity Dreadnaught
2015 Gibson Les Paul Traditional SR
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey XXX 112
Fender Blues Jr
only thing about engineering is that I looked up average slaries, and it was like $75,000. which isn't bad, but with most medical fields its $150,000. Yeah, Healthcare is the one thing about going to medical school I would be worried about... and i don't mind math. Does anyone know if Mizzou has a good engineering program?
Quote by speakers
engineering FTW! plenty of money in it bro

Indeed.

More money for doctors, but you have to pay for med school. /fail

Engineering is the ****.
Looking for my India/Django.
I'd say engineering, it's what I'll most likely do, civil or electrical, maybe mechanical. Med school would probably be a bitch compared to engineering in terms of cost and difficulty. Where you planning on going? And are you graduated from high school?
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Quote by ShallowEndings
Most people have helped so far

Um , let's take a gander at some replies:

"get your PhD, you can still be called "dr" and you don't have to worry about malpractice."

"engineering FTW! plenty of money in it bro"

"Engineering is the ****."

Don't base your entire future on these comments. blue_strat's response was the best. **** money. 75,000 is still great. Don't do something you don't want to do for some extra pretty polly. That's called selling out.
Quote by blue_strat
Find a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

This is the only thing you should listen to, TS.
Last edited by chaoticfables at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by due 07
Um , let's take a gander at some replies:

"get your PhD, you can still be called "dr" and you don't have to worry about malpractice."

"engineering FTW! plenty of money in it bro"

"Engineering is the ****."

Don't base your entire future on these comments. blue_strat's response was the best. **** money. 75,000 is still great. Don't do something you don't want to do for some extra pretty polly. That's called selling out.

Better than what i've said, my friend.
Quote by captainjackass

engineers still make a ton of money. right now there are shortages of them and their starting salary is much higher.

granted, physicians make much more once their career kicks off.

EDIT: good schools for engineering would be purdue, university of illinois at urbana-champaign, bradley university, MIT, etc. mizzou is decent, but if you really want a good engineering opportunity, the aforementioned schools would be the best.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
engineers still make a ton of money. right now there are shortages of them and their starting salary is much higher.

not necessarily. Engineers make a buttload of money all over the world.

doctors, on the other hand, don't earn much everywhere (german doctors have been fighting for higher pays for years)
Quote by CoreysMonster
not necessarily. Engineers make a buttload of money all over the world.

doctors, on the other hand, don't earn much everywhere (german doctors have been fighting for higher pays for years)

the threadstarter lives in the united states, where certified physicians make at least $150,000/year. engineers do make more money all over the world, but the some of the highest salaries in the US belong in the medical industry.

granted, your overall cost of being a physician would be much more expensive (college education + med school education = ). medical students end up with a debt of at least $100,000, whereas an engineers career kicks off the minute you get your bachelors. depending on where you get your degree, you could start off with $60k+ per year.

EDIT: info straight from wolfram|alpha:

average salary of a doctor
average salary of an engineer

also, consider the hours you'll be working as a doctor.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39

EDIT: good schools for engineering would be purdue, university of illinois at urbana-champaign, bradley university, MIT, etc. mizzou is decent, but if you really want a good engineering opportunity, the aforementioned schools would be the best.

What about University of Washington?
Quote by lolmnt
Quote by paintITblack39
the threadstarter lives in the united states, where certified physicians make at least $150,000/year. engineers do make more money all over the world, but the some of the highest salaries in the US belong in the medical industry.

granted, your overall cost of being a physician would be much more expensive (college education + med school education = ). medical students end up with a debt of at least $100,000, whereas an engineers career kicks off the minute you get your bachelors. depending on where you get your degree, you could start off with $60k+ per year.

I'm well aware of that, since my uncle is a doctor in the US, but I was just pointing out that if TS studies medicine he would be slightly more restricted than if he studied engineering.

(I'm an engineering student, btw )
Quote by DimebagLivesOn
What about University of Washington?

i don't know. i'm not an engineering student. these are just based off of information from friends and family who faced the same situation.
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
i don't know. i'm not an engineering student. these are just based off of information from friends and family who faced the same situation.

Oh ok. Well it's my best choice that I can get into, and I'm pretty sure I saw it ranked like #12 for engineering.
Quote by lolmnt
Im majoring in English, And want to go to law school. Just pick something your interested in
Quote by paintITblack39

You should go there, that way Dimebag and I could go visit you .
It seems a little late to join in, but if you enjoy engineering go for it, i'm finishing my masters of engineering in mechanical engineering this year, and as its a professional degree, its a great qualification, even if you don't want to be an engineer. There are also some good opportunities if you want more than a standard degree as well, as i'm currently applying to Louisiana State University for a Mechanical Engineering PhD. Theres a lot of work around and some good universities with funding too. Not sure if many or any US universities offer the MEng though
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Ashdown MAG 300 Head + Ashdown 410T Cab
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Aeronautical Engineering. 'Tis great fun.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by due 07
You should go there, that way Dimebag and I could go visit you .

You go there?
Quote by lolmnt
Sorry im kinda resurecting this, but i left abrubtly last night. My biggest problem is I don't know if engineering is what I would love to do or not, I just now by the sound of it, I might be interested in it. and both engineering and some kind of medical degree both seem to be things where I would have to plan my classes out for the 4 years, instead of try a little of both then decide. I'm not worried about the cost of college, as I'm going for free (some tom-foolery with the GI Bill. No, im not in the army but my dad is).

and BTW, the pit is pretty helpful on the most part, its the smartasses that say "big mistake asking the pit" the give the worst responses, sorry bro.
Resurrecting the thread is fine, I like threads when I can make a useful contribution. Its tough to decide what really interests you the most. If there were any sort of trial classes you could do before college to get an idea that would probably help a lot. To really support studying engineering its good have an interest outside of classes. If theres anything else you want to know it seems there are a few people in here that could give you more detailed information on US college engineering programs, but i'm always happy to help as best I can from an english perspective
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Quote by captainjackass
Sorry im kinda resurecting this, but i left abrubtly last night. My biggest problem is I don't know if engineering is what I would love to do or not, I just now by the sound of it, I might be interested in it. and both engineering and some kind of medical degree both seem to be things where I would have to plan my classes out for the 4 years, instead of try a little of both then decide. I'm not worried about the cost of college, as I'm going for free (some tom-foolery with the GI Bill. No, im not in the army but my dad is).

and BTW, the pit is pretty helpful on the most part, its the smartasses that say "big mistake asking the pit" the give the worst responses, sorry bro.

How are you at math? If you don't love math pass on the engineering.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
Quote by blue_strat
Find a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.

lol, I get that because one of my teachers told us the same thing yesterday.
If you go electrical engineering you'll have couple of years before you have to decide which area you want to specify in to see how to medical field takes off, then have the option of going to graduate school for biomedical engineering which starts at 80+ K a year and is expected to have a 20+% job growth in the next 5 years.

No, it's still half your doctor salary, but if you want a mix then it's a good compromise as long as you enjoy electrical work. If you don't know if you like electrical work go and find out, because walking in with no idea whats going on to electrical engineering is not a good idea.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
if u go into engineering
dont go in to british engineering

hahaha

anyone get?

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Well sir, going into college you'll run into a plethora or "pre-med" students, and only a hand full of engineers. Truth is this world needs more engineers, I argue our school system has become so ****ty most people rely on technology to do math, therefore a lack of students who want something math related, mostly because their to lazy. So in summary, the lack of engineers means an increase in demand for them, increase in demand, increase in pay.

and oh i forgot to mention...engineers get paid a **** load of money, regardless the field.
I'm in a very similar situation, actually. I'm a senior in high school and I'm seriously considering studying engineering in college. If I didn't choose that, I'd most likely end up majoring in chemistry, which would probably lead me to Med School. Has anybody done Chemical Engineering? What should I be prepared for?
Last edited by Slash 602 at Sep 10, 2009,
computer engineer
Quote by Marshmelllow
graphs. graphs always work. my old work place had an awesome printer, so i was constantly making graphs.

that was until i made a graph of how much my boss pissed me off. but seriously dude, graphs.
Engineers do get to travel, two engineers I know from my family and a family friend have travelled all over the world with their work, there are definately lots of possibilities for travel, i'm hoping engineerinf can get me to America from England, so if you like travel, its worth looking into. Some universities even offer courses where you can do a year in another country.
Gear:
Musicman Sub Sterling
Yamaha RBXJM2
Bass Big Muff Pi
Korg Pitchblack
Morley Dual Bass Wah
Quote by captainjackass
Im pretty decent in math, I mean I don't LOVE it, but I don't hate it either.
I heard that engineers travel alot, is that true? Cause if it is, that would be pretty badass.

I do but I work in aviation. So it kinda comes with the territory.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew

Quote by Axelfox

Quote by Xiaoxi
i just started at the liberal university of amsterdam (moved there too)
I am doing earth sciences and economics.
University owns everything you have done before by far.
And no I am not talking about partying only
living on yourself, finally going to classed you like instead of being ibligated to go to
have fun!!
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Page 1 of 2