So i have the standard single coil strat, I wanted pickups that could give me that santana tone, are great for jazz/blues, have tons of sustain, but are good for metal. I want to replace all 3, any suggestions? I want to keep single coils.

As of right now im considering Seymour duncan hot rails.

If you all could give me suggestions ( specifically which pickups for all three) that have all of the above qualifications, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all for suggestions and advice.
You might take a look at GFS pickups. I'm getting a set for a Tele and they sound good from Youtube videos I've seen. They're way cheap and from what I've heard, they sound just fine.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/pickups.html
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Thank you sir, who uses them? and will they get that santana tone and sound good as metal pickups?
Santana uses humbuckers. so do most metal artists.

a little pickguard modding may be in order.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
Santana uses humbuckers. so do most metal artists.

a little pickguard modding may be in order.

Oh believe me I know, but im trying to avoid that option, so I thought id come here and ask you knowledgeable people so I could weigh my options.
santana doesn't use a hot humbucker, whereas many metal artists will. choice of position will play a part in that as well, (neck/bridge). you'd be hard pressed to find a bucker that can sound like a high- and low-output pickup, as well as sounding like a bridge and neck position pickup.

just saying.
------

Shwiggity.
So....essentially your telling me what im asking is impossible...and I have to get humbuckers.
Quote by MrGuitarGuy01
So....essentially your telling me what im asking is impossible...and I have to get humbuckers.

GFS and Seymour Duncan both sell stacked single pickups. They're humbuckers in the size of a single. Of course, you won't get a full blown humbucker sound but it should be able to cover Santana, Hard Rock and a lot of Metal. I could get an ok sound out of my old single coils in a Tele.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/lilpuxlnewfi.html
http://store.guitarfetish.com/revialtenepi.html

I would think this would work for Santana and any other stlye of Rock. If you really push it, maybe a little Metal.

EDIT: The Hot Lead or Modern Vintage. You'd have to have a more vintage sounding neck pickup and play in the middle position if you got the Hot Lead.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 10, 2009,
You'd honestly be better off with the Duncans over the GFS. GFS is more of a "budget" brand that have some really decent stuff. SD are much better quality.

For a diverse tone like you're looking for, I think having two tappable humbuckers would be better for you. You could even get two completely mismatched ones, then make the switching just an On/On switch, so that you can't use the two together.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by bv310
You'd honestly be better off with the Duncans over the GFS. GFS is more of a "budget" brand that have some really decent stuff. SD are much better quality.

For a diverse tone like you're looking for, I think having two tappable humbuckers would be better for you. You could even get two completely mismatched ones, then make the switching just an On/On switch, so that you can't use the two together.

This would probably be first time ever "modding" a guitar...so that being said I have no idea what your talking about. Excuse my ignorance.
Don't worry, we all have to learn somewhere.

What I was saying was that it would be interesting to put two completely different pickups in the guitar (i.e. one specifically designed for metal, and one designed for Santana style) and then instead of a normal 3-way switch (usually goes Neck/Neck+Bridge/Bridge) you could put in a 2-way switch (just Neck/Bridge) That way, you wouldn't need to worry about the output level of the pickups being radically different.

Only problem I can think of would be switching between the two live. You'd need some kind of volume limiter and a master volume so that you wouldn't get a big change between the two.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
I would have to agree that Duncans would be better. I'm getting GFS because I don't feel like paying 150 dollars for my first big mod when I'm already up to 400.

I would think using them together would help him a lot. I don't know about the other positions but I think a SD Cool Rails would fit his needs.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls