so I'm in college now and my crate is way to loud for my dorm room so I need to downgrade to a smaller tube amp. I'm pretty much just looking for a 5 watter and was considering the Blackheart little giant, the epi valve jr, or possibly the fender champ 600. or I'm open to other suggestions. I play anything from hard rock to death metal so the point is I need something that will get good gain, so do any of these amps take pedals better than the other. Any input is appreciated.
budget?
Gear:

Jackson Mark Morton Dominion
Mesa Dual Rect 2 Channel
Marshall JCM900 1960 cab
Quote by Shredded Humans
so I'm in college now and my crate is way to loud for my dorm room so I need to downgrade to a smaller tube amp. I'm pretty much just looking for a 5 watter and was considering the Blackheart little giant, the epi valve jr, or possibly the fender champ 600. or I'm open to other suggestions. I play anything from hard rock to death metal so the point is I need something that will get good gain, so do any of these amps take pedals better than the other. Any input is appreciated.

you're trying to get blood out of a rock.

get a microcube or save up to a HT-5.

Edit: sorry, missed the pedals part. I'd say the VJ or Bheart.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Sep 10, 2009,
Budget?
New or Used?
Genres?.....(ok - hard rock to death metal)
Current gear?
Home or Gig?......(ok - dorm only?)
Closest City?

For the variety you play including death metal I suggest you look at the Peavey Vypyrs. Most have headphone outs too. Otherwise, answer those questions and it would be a big help. Add onto that - what guitar do you have and pups?
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Blackstar HT5 hands down...

+10

Heard it, loved it, want to own it.
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom (Black Beauty)
1980 Marshall JMP 2204
Actually, just grab a Vibro Champ XD.

Has 16 different voicings, about 5 are high gainers.

And it's a whopping $199...
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Blackstar HT5 hands down...

/thread
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I didn't know you could do death metal with a Blackstar. hummmmmm.

That depends on the definition of metal again. They are nice, just more than twice the TS's budget.

I'll stick to the VibroChamp on this one.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Budget?
New or Used?
Genres?.....(ok - hard rock to death metal)
Current gear?
Home or Gig?......(ok - dorm only?)
Closest City?

For the variety you play including death metal I suggest you look at the Peavey Vypyrs. Most have headphone outs too. Otherwise, answer those questions and it would be a big help. Add onto that - what guitar do you have and pups?

I would like to avoid going back to SS, and I believe there lowest tube model is 30 watts and I'd have to keep that on low volumes in a dorm. So I'm basically just looking for a small little tube amp. And to answer your questions under 500, new or used doesn' tmatter, I'll be running a Esp ec-500 through it. I just need something for dorm level, I have a crate for anything bigger than that. Cinci
Last edited by Shredded Humans at Sep 10, 2009,
New HT-5 combo, maybe boost it a little depending on your gain needs. I never had to.
Still think the Blackstar HT5 is your best bet.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
hell when i lived in halls i used a line 6 UX1, and a roland cube, it's not worth pissing off your neighbours if you have to live with them for like a whole year.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I use my Roland Micro Cube at college and it really does its job. It is quiet and has a headphone jack if it's not quiet enough. I play hard rock/metal as well, and the rectifier setting is great for it. The recordings on my profile are done with the rectifier setting if you would like to hear it. My skill "pinch harmonics" demonstrates the gain of it pretty well. It's a cheap amp and it will do you well. This coming from a guy who uses a Randall V2 and Peavey 5150 at home; trust me the Micro Cube is just fine.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
just read that you are bent on getting a tube amp...while I don't personally recommend that (a SS is fine for what you want, sound great at low volumes, cheaper, etc) I would have to jump on the bandwagon and say Blackstar HT-5. It really is the best sounding low wattage tube amp on the market for hard rock/metal.
http://www.youtube.com/user/chuckmehh
Randall RM100/Basson Cab
DBX166XL/BBE Sonic Maximizer
Boss NS-2, sCream Cheese 2.0 OD, Zakk Wylde wah
Custom Epiphones
Monster Cables
Awe-in-One picks..and more
The Blackstar because it-
-has the most gain on tap for your budget
-has an fx loop for pedals
-two good channels
-line out

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Look for an Ampeg VH70 combo. Amazing metal tone (better than the HT-5 IMO) for pretty darn cheap.