Hello everyone. I'm trying to make a decision on buying a new amp, but I'm running into a brick wall.

Here's the situation. I have a Fender Blues Jr. right now, which I got for around $550. I love the tone, and with the Tubescreamer I use (Ts9), it's overdrive tone is phenomenal. however, for the style of music I like to play, I like to have a large amount of distortion for a lead tone, and so far with what I have, a Ts9 and a Blues Jr. doesn't cut it.

My dilemma is this. I can either keep the amp I have and buy a pedal for distortion, or buy a new amp, so I can have amp distortion, and use the new pedal I'm buying to tighten up the rhythm tone for a lead tone. The amp I'm looking at is a Mesa/Boogie Express 5:50. I've tried it, and it sounds great, but I can't decide if I want to keep adding pedals onto my Blues Jr. so I can save a bunch of money, or should I go ahead and sell the Blues Jr. to get money towards the Mesa? The way it's shaping up, I won't be able to have both.

I use a Strat, and the pedal I'm planning on buying is a B.B. Preamp. I'd use that after the Ts9, and engage it for a lead tone (if I were to keep the Blues Jr.)
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
eh,

BJ's are nice. Sonic Stomp? Not me. If you want heavier stuff then:

Budget:
Genres:
Home or Gig:
New or Used:
Closest City:

PS: I like Blues Jr's don't get me wrong. Played them many times....but they are somewhat limited. Best Fender amp tho if I were to buy a Fender tube amp. Outside of the Bassman of course.

PSS: If you are going to save for a Mesa Express then don't get the Express. Period. Just keep saving up and look at used gear. That's where it is at.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

Budget:
Genres:
Home or Gig:
New or Used:
Closest City:

PS: I like Blues Jr's don't get me wrong. Played them many times....but they are somewhat limited. Best Fender amp tho if I were to buy a Fender tube amp. Outside of the Bassman of course.

PSS: If you are going to save for a Mesa Express then don't get the Express. Period. Just keep saving up and look at used gear. That's where it is at.

It'd help to give us that stuff up there ^^
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
I would have... if that were the thread I was going for. I wasn't asking for amp suggestions, I was asking if it would be a good idea to invest in the Mesa and use a boost pedal as opposed to using an amp with great cleans, and using nothing but pedals to achieve distorted tones.

If you want budget, etc., <$1000, style is rock/fusion, planning on using it for limited gigging, not all the time, and I want a very smooth overdrive. Never been a big fan of crunch.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
Quote by mcrfobtai
I have a Pro Junior.
Almost the same thing. Sort of.

But I do love BJ's. Great amps.
Everyone likes BJ's.

EVERYONE!!!!
If you love the tone of the BJ, but just can't quite cut the distortion, I'd say 1 of 2 things.

Keep the BJ and get good pedals.

Upgrade the BJ (but stay with fender, because you love the tone of the BJ)
Check out a Hot Rod Delux. This should get you the same tone as the BJ And then some.
And use pedals for the heavy distortion.

I think it easier to

Use pedals to obtain the distortion you're looking for.

Than it is to

Buy an amp to get the distortion you're looking for, but then try to get the great tone you got from the previous amp..

My 2 Cents.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear