Page 1 of 2
What are some of the most important cons to stem cell research? I'm debating on it tomorrow and so far all I got are why its unethical.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
The religious right will claim that by messing with stem cells you are, in effect, playing God.

That, and the fact that most stem cells come from human embryos which many believe to be on par with abortion.
Quote by CoreysMonster
there are none?

That's what I thought. The debate I think is incredibly one sided.

Quote by wyldething
The religious right will claim that by messing with stem cells you are, in effect, playing God.

That, and the fact that most stem cells come from human embryos which many believe to be on par with abortion.

That's all that's standing between researching it? Unless the groups I'm debating in front of are incredibly religous, I'm going to lose.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Last edited by PinoyxRockar at Sep 10, 2009,
There are none besides the ethical ones.
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Hanson are musical legends.

You watch your god damn mouth when talking about them.

Quote by TheQuailman

I mean, look at me. Can't even get an erection unless I strangle a goat.

It's Time To Be Immortal Cause Heros Never Die!
Quote by PinoyxRockar
That's what I thought. The debate I think is incredibly one sided.

any cons about stem cell research are ALWAYS ethical problems and terribly subjective, so I don't really think you can have a set list of cons.
The debate is basicly Science Vs Religion, an age old debate which will never be settled.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
Quote by alkalineweeman
The debate is basicly Science Vs Religion, an age old debate which will never be settled.

thankfully they've filed a restraining order.
yup, ethical and religious norms,....so the doctor gets to play god
If you want to get laid, go to college,
If you want education go to a library

-Frank Zappa-
Its a great thing, religion is retarded anyway, I dunno why people listen to that crap.
Quote by CoreysMonster
any cons about stem cell research are ALWAYS ethical problems and terribly subjective, so I don't really think you can have a set list of cons.

yeah but its not like they skinning babies alive
Roses are red
Voilets are blue
The only bulge in my pocket is my wallet
No i'm not happy to see you
Hopefully I pull a pro out of the hat tomorrow.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
It's not ALL religious, although a large part of it can be. What you could argue is that it's like taking life (because essentially those cells would grow into a person) and that it MAY not lead to any new scientific discoveries (although it probably will). I'd just focus on the fact that it's like killing somebody who could change the world etc etc.

In other words, you're screwed.
I <3 Companion Cube
you can basically grow back new skin on burn victims and new fingers and crazy crap but you get the majority of stem cells from abortions which is why people are afraid of doing it.
Do not listen to me
Religion Thread.

__.-~~~~-.|___|___|__
_/********\_|___|___|
|*/**\**/**`~~~~~-.__
||****|**0*********@_
||****|***.********|_
\|****|***\*******/__
_\****/**/`~~~~~~`|__
_('--'""`)__|___|___|
Quote by Jesus
LedDaveZeppelin, You are so awesome.
Quote by PinoyxRockar

That's all that's standing between researching it? Unless the groups I'm debating in front of are incredibly religous, I'm going to lose.

In short, yes.

There is really no way to win a debate when you are arguing for the side that you personally oppose. The last time I had to do this I just threw around a bunch of red herrings and ad hominems. It was actually fairly successful, perhaps you should look into doing that.
no cons, except that abortions will need to be legal to maximize effectiveness of the resarch
Quote by TunerAddict,mdawg24
+Infinity

Listen to ExtremeMetalFTW, he knows what he is talking about...

Quote by vmanoman
I clicked System Restore and it said "System Restore Is Unable To Protect You".

^^SO KVLT!!
Quote by ExtremeMetalFTW
no cons, except that abortions will need to be legal to maximize effectiveness of the resarch

....uh, abortion is legal.

Roe v. Wade?
None. Stem cell treatments have the potential to be pretty much the greatest thing ever.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
To me taking stem cells from a human embryo makes me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aclS1pGHp8o
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
you can't hear the embryo scream. I understand you don't see it my way and I respect that.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
you can't hear the embryo scream. I understand you don't see it my way and I respect that.

it cant scream, it has no mind or any feelings or any emotions or anything. It's like saying you feel sorry for your blood cells if you cut your finger chopping carrots. In fact, you cant hear that carrot scream either. How do you live with yourself?
Quote by wyldething
....uh, abortion is legal.

Roe v. Wade?

didn't say it wasn't

just saying that is the only con to stem-cell
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
No cons, and scientists are quickly developing ways of creating stem cells without using human embryos, so the ethical debate will soon go by the wayside as well.

EDIT: In fact, they can make stem cells from skin cells, but I don't think the stem cells they can create are quite as malleable as the embryonic ones. Yet.
Quote by ThinLizzyFan
I love you

Who's in a bunker?
Who's in a bunker?
Women and children first
And the children first
And the children
Last edited by namesroverrated at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by wyldething
In short, yes.

There is really no way to win a debate when you are arguing for the side that you personally oppose. The last time I had to do this I just threw around a bunch of red herrings and ad hominems. It was actually fairly successful, perhaps you should look into doing that.

I was actually thinking of throwing out appeal to pathos and make sympathetic towards the destruction of human embryos.

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Quote by Zoot Allures
it cant scream, it has no mind or any feelings or any emotions or anything. It's like saying you feel sorry for your blood cells if you cut your finger chopping carrots. In fact, you cant hear that carrot scream either. How do you live with yourself?

If a human being had to die for me in the process that would be a great analogy. like i said. you feel differently about it and I'm happy to leave it at that. good day sir. may you prosper in all you do.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
Quote by Revelation
If a human being had to die for me in the process that would be a great analogy. like i said. you feel differently about it and I'm happy to leave it at that. good day sir. may you prosper in all you do.

No my carrot analogy was better. You're killing cells that are alive when you eat carrots but like the embyro they dont feel or think or anything.

Carrot murderer.
Quote by Zoot Allures
No my carrot analogy was better. You're killing cells that are alive when you eat carrots but like the embyro they dont feel or think or anything.

Carrot murderer.

Leave him alone, dude.

Not the time nor the place.

He isn't arguing or saying we're wrong
+Infinity

Quote by vmanoman

^^SO KVLT!!
Human embryos were only really the first step in stem cell research. Scientists have recently discovered a fantastic way of ethically getting stem cells: liposuction waste. A huge bounty of fat cells is going to waste, and scientists are finally catching on that it can be used for lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of stem cells.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Ace88
Human embryos were only really the first step in stem cell research. Scientists have recently discovered a fantastic way of ethically getting stem cells: liposuction waste. A huge bounty of fat cells is going to waste, and scientists are finally catching on that it can be used for lots, and lots, and lots, and lots of stem cells.

hell yeah, killing two birds with one stone!
Getting stem cells from embryos isn't an ethical problem. Abortion might be, but using those cells for science to help the living isn't. People are always going to get abortions, so why not use the resulting mess of cells for something that can benefit someone else?

Quote by awesomeo4000
Embryonic Stem Cells Found to Acquire Mutations
Fetal stem cells cause tumor in a teenage boy

That's all I've got for cons that isn't ethics related, just did 2 assignments on it at school.

That first link is nothing different than what's happening inside you right now with your normal cells. You'd be surprised how many of your normal cells are becoming potentially oncogenic.
not all stem cells are taken from embryos anymore therefore even the "moral and ethical" problems some people had with the research are all completely irrelevant now.
.|......|....|
=--
.............|

an unsaturated fattylolcid.
Yeah, it's pretty much just an ethical thing. Should the stem cells be taken from embryos, you kill the embryo, which some will equate to abortion in the sense that they are ending potential life. Before shrugging that off, realize that ethics really do matter a lot. Stem Cell research hasn't been able to flourish in the US just because of that. Abortion is still a constant battle. Ethics and morals are a powerful force, and politicians know it.
It's the commercialization of human life to some.

The murder of a potential person (Basically violation of human rights).

Lives may be prolonged and cause the population to become unsustainable (But we could always grow meat!)

But really, I support it, it'd create more jobs for people (Production and harvest of stem cells) it'd improve our economy so much and eliminate the need for human drug tests and SO much more.
Page 1 of 2