I bought Grover mini locking tuners, and put them on my prs se. I do one whammy bar dive and it goes right out of tune after 20 mins of tuning and getting slack out. I'm about ready to take the guitar and slam on my concrete porch. 70 bux just to go thru the same thing ive been going through?! What do I need to do? Improper cut of the nut? Lube? I don't get it.
A.K.A. Titanguy
Have you stretched the strings properly? Rub a pencil in the nut slots, that should help. Also, make sure the trem is set up properly.
Quote by shredbeyndshred
How the heck do I get a pencil point in those little slots?

Get some pencil graphite shavings and rub it into the slots.
How did you string it at the tuners? Did you use the sacred method?
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Calm down first. You'll do things you will regret if you don't.
------------------
google method.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by shredbeyndshred

perhaps?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by metal-matt
that pic didnt work >_>

no you're right. There that should work now.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by shredbeyndshred

how I do it:

get a knife and trim off the wood around the graphite so you have a long piece sticking out, hold it over a piece of paper and use an emery board or small file or something to grind it down til you have a little pile. fold the piece of paper in half so you can pour a little bit into each slot.

or you can use a mechanical pencil, those normally have lead small enough that it'll fit into the slots.

you can also buy pastes and such that are designed specifically for lubing a guitar nut, for example, http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/GHS-GraphitAll-Guitar-Lubricant?sku=423700
Last edited by The4thHorsemen at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by shredbeyndshred
I bought Grover mini locking tuners, and put them on my prs se. I do one whammy bar dive and it goes right out of tune after 20 mins of tuning and getting slack out. I'm about ready to take the guitar and slam on my concrete porch. 70 bux just to go thru the same thing ive been going through?! What do I need to do? Improper cut of the nut? Lube? I don't get it.

Calm down, calm down. Anger is never the answer. You can be sure there is a solution, since PRS make fairly nice guitars. We just gotta find out where the problem lies.
Some q's:
*Do all the strings go out of tune?
*What kind of whammy is on there?
*Do you hear any 'pings' when tuning? If you don't know what I mean you likely do not have it.
*What kind of nut is on there? Is it stock or have you changed that as well?
*How old are the strings? 20 minutes of just being on there?
*How have you tried to stretch the strings?
*Standard E tuning and standard 10 strings?
If you already have a locking nut then locking tuners were a complete waste (I think PRS's don't have locking nuts though). Maybe it's the tremolo, you might have to make a few adjustments to it, and you might have to sharpen the knife edges. Pencil shavings are good too. It's a vintage style tremolo though, I don't think it's the best for dive bombs and other aggressive stuff.
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

Last edited by salsawords at Sep 10, 2009,
Graphite nut!
And to be honest with you, the PRS trem on the SE's isn't all that great... I'm sure you could upgrade it to a Wilkinson VS of some sort (VS100, VSVG) with a little modification.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.