Hello UG Community-

Recently I started a thread about EMGs vs. Blackouts for my Jackson Dinky...but it got me wondering...there has to be some other options.
I know that DiMarzio is another big brand, but I hate to admit it, I don't know too much about them.
I play Metal, and would like to swap out the pups in my Dinky.

Here is what I have:

I have a Japanese Jackson Dinky with an Alder body, and Flame Maple top. With my purchase of a new Soloist, I would like to try to keep my older, intermediate guitar relevant and competitive. So, to do this I would like to swap out the pups.

Currently, I have Duncan Designed humbuckers, and the guitar came with the SD Firestorm pre-amp, so the mediocre pups got an extra boost.

As I said in the EMG v. Blackout thread:
I do not want a new amp. I like my amp, so that isn't relevant being I can't afford one (yet!) anyway

What DiMarzio's should I look into? Active/Passive doesn't matter- I am just trying to become familiar with the brand and what pups you guys enjoyed/experienced.

Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
My favorite Dimarzio pup is the Super Distortion. On my Carvin I mostly play 80's shred style stuff and the SD/Paf Pro combo handles it perfectly.
On the Dimarzio website, there's a little program called Pickup Picker which you can use to determine which pickup best fits your guitar. If you then click on "Learn more", you can get a sound chart and some of them also have sound bytes... Maybe that helps you out a bit?

I've got an Air Norton and Evo2 in my Cort X-11 (Basswood) and they really do a fantastic job actually... (FYI:I play a bit of everything.)
"Member #21 of the "Guitarists Born in 1991 Club". PM blues_rocker or greendayguitar to join."

I always wanted to become number 21 in something
I have the EVO set in my RG and it does metal wonderfully. They actually do all sounds very very well.

Also I don't think Dimarzio makes and active PU, they just make high output passives.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by srob7001
I have the EVO set in my RG and it does metal wonderfully. They actually do all sounds very very well.

Also I don't think Dimarzio makes and active PU, they just make high output passives.

Hm... are the high outputs on par with say, the EMG 81/85 pairing?

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

i personaly have an 81/85 setup in my warlock and i love the sound. The 85 can be a bit muddy when playing certain tunings and styles but in general i wouldnt want any other pickups ive tried. As for DiMarzios it depends what type of metal aswell (shred, death, metalcore, plain heavy metal like sabbath and maiden etc). EVO's are my all round favourite of theirs anyway.
I am playing maiden, metallica, priest- I barely downtune...very straightforward stuff. I am considering the 81/85 combo because it is so classic, but interested in learning about DiMarzio just to see if there is something else out there.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

I really like the DiMarzio Tone Zone and it would really sound awesome in that guitar (mainly due to the wood) so I'd look into that one for sure.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Bridge pickups -
Air zone
Evolution
Evo 2
D activator (passive pickups which is suppose to sound like an active pup)
Super distortion (guy from Iron Maiden uses this)

Neck pup -
Paf Joe
Paf Pro
Air classic
Air norton
Paf 36th anniversary

u might wanna look into those
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by Richmanofaction

Yes, but better.....I had the EMG 81/85 in my old RG and got rid of it cause they just really only get one sound.

The DiMarzio's don't just sound better, but you can actually articulate your picking and hear the dynamics as opposed to actives which always sound at same volume,even if you pick lighter or attack harder.

If you want your sound to be like every other metal band then by all means get the EMG's, they are good..I just think the DiMarzios are better.

Go to Guitar Center and make them pull the JEM off the wall so you can play a guitar equipped with EVO's and you will understand what I am talking about. They are very high out put and you wouldn't have to change any of your tone or volume pots to accomodate the actives.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
Quote by Richmanofaction

That's one thing actives do very well - output. What with the battery and the preamp in the pickup and such there are very few passive pups that can hope to match the output.

I would say, however, that the tone really isn't worth it, especially with the amount of gain that modern amps put out so just go for Bare Knuckle pickups
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
The dimarzio super distortion and the PAF Pro is a good combo for the older stuff....

and for the modern stuff the D-Activator X does the job quite well for the modern stuff.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
Fender American Standard Telecaster
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
PAF Pro 7's are some of my favourite pick ups ever. Thats what I am running in my Apex2 and they sound amazing.

I think Dimarzio are the nicest pick ups you can buy. I have an EMG equipped S series and they are too cold and clinical. And you sound exactly the same as every EMG user out there.

Be original and go dimarzio.
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
Quote by MetalheadA7X
And you sound exactly the same as every EMG user out there.

Be original and go dimarzio.

This is exactly what I mean.....all EMG users all have basically the same sound.

Just like the adds say.....The best players choose DiMarzio...or something along those lines.
Gear
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
have you looked into smaller pickup companies?

it seems like you are only going for the 3 big name companies

take a look at bare knuckle pickups

they are supposed to be amazing and they are all handwound and what not
Guitars:

1998 Squier Affinity Stratocaster

Amps:

Peavey Valve king 112

Money is just paper, but it affects people like poetry.
Quote by stratman7
My favorite Dimarzio pup is the Super Distortion. On my Carvin I mostly play 80's shred style stuff and the SD/Paf Pro combo handles it perfectly.

This. This is what Randy Rhoads had in his PDV.
I can play guitar!

Randy Rhoads FTW!

Proud owner of a GMW Polka Dot V.

Gear:
GMW Polka Dot V
Gibson Explorer Pro
Epiphone G-400

Peavey Bandit 112
Your best bet would be the SD/PAF Pro combo.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by srob7001
This is exactly what I mean.....all EMG users all have basically the same sound.

Just like the adds say.....The best players choose DiMarzio...or something along those lines.

So sounds the same as ? And that's not even taking into account the myriads of clean tone one can get from them.

People that have trouble getting an "organic" tone from EMGs have difficulty turning knobs.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N