Hello UG Community-

Recently I started a thread about EMGs vs. Blackouts for my Jackson Dinky...but it got me wondering...there has to be some other options.
I know that DiMarzio is another big brand, but I hate to admit it, I don't know too much about them.
I play Metal, and would like to swap out the pups in my Dinky.

Here is what I have:

I have a Japanese Jackson Dinky with an Alder body, and Flame Maple top. With my purchase of a new Soloist, I would like to try to keep my older, intermediate guitar relevant and competitive. So, to do this I would like to swap out the pups.

Currently, I have Duncan Designed humbuckers, and the guitar came with the SD Firestorm pre-amp, so the mediocre pups got an extra boost.

As I said in the EMG v. Blackout thread:
I do not want a new amp. I like my amp, so that isn't relevant being I can't afford one (yet!) anyway

What DiMarzio's should I look into? Active/Passive doesn't matter- I am just trying to become familiar with the brand and what pups you guys enjoyed/experienced.

Thanks!
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
If you are playing Metal, look into the D Sonic, Breed, D-Activators, and X2N. If you are playing 80's hair metal, you could look at the Super Distortion as well.
TO ALL MY KILLERS AND MY HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLERS...
...TO EMO KIDS THAT GOT TOO MANY FEELINGS
Check Out IronGear Pickups
ESP Eclipse I CTM FR (KGC BRASS BLOCK + IronGear Blues Engine + Dirty Torque + BCS Wiring Kit
Jet City Fusion

Blackstar S1-104 EL34

Engl Standard 4x12 (V60's)

Korg PitchBlack
ZCAT Delay-Reverb
Snarling Dogs Whine-O-Wah
Asking for a recommendation of pickup choices without giving details on the amp and what sound you're looking for is difficult. however it's also difficult to describe sound, because everyone has their own opinion on what a tone sounds like and a description for that tone. However for some good metal pickups, the Evolution pickup has a very nice tone. If you look on Dimarzio's website they advertise the tone chart. I also like the D-Sonic, it has a punchy sound without being too fat. On my guitars I use EMGs, they're good tone and good sound, but you sacrifice the tone from your guitar when you go active. Also the Breed pickup provides a punchy sound, maybe a bit fatter than the D-Sonic. But out of the three pickups, i would volunteer the D-Sonic as it's punchy but cuts three the flab, if you will, without sounding "scooped"
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/FoxEncounter/johnpetrucci.jpg[/img]
I'm gonna teach you.... how to snap your arm in.... 5 places...
Quote by JackWylde
Asking for a recommendation of pickup choices without giving details on the amp and what sound you're looking for is difficult. however it's also difficult to describe sound, because everyone has their own opinion on what a tone sounds like and a description for that tone. However for some good metal pickups, the Evolution pickup has a very nice tone. If you look on Dimarzio's website they advertise the tone chart. I also like the D-Sonic, it has a punchy sound without being too fat. On my guitars I use EMGs, they're good tone and good sound, but you sacrifice the tone from your guitar when you go active. Also the Breed pickup provides a punchy sound, maybe a bit fatter than the D-Sonic. But out of the three pickups, i would volunteer the D-Sonic as it's punchy but cuts three the flab, if you will, without sounding "scooped"

when you say you sacrifice tone from your guitar when you go active is not true. EMG X's and Blackouts don't sacrifice tone.
Gear:
ESP LTD ALEXI-600
Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag Crybaby From Hell
Digitech RP-90
Marshall MG250DFX

24/7
Breed Set.
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Quote by MGB2
when you say you sacrifice tone from your guitar when you go active is not true. EMG X's and Blackouts don't sacrifice tone.

simply due to the fact that they can also go passive. but an active preamp will void any form of wood tone.
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c317/FoxEncounter/johnpetrucci.jpg[/img]
I'm gonna teach you.... how to snap your arm in.... 5 places...
Hmm thats it- thats everybody's experience with DiMarzios?

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Quote by JackWylde
Asking for a recommendation of pickup choices without giving details on the amp and what sound you're looking for is difficult. however it's also difficult to describe sound, because everyone has their own opinion on what a tone sounds like and a description for that tone.

+1

You'll only really start to get constructive opinions when you tell us the sounds you are trying to get to (examples of bands) and when you tell us your amp.

Otherwise, this discussion will be more academic than constructive.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by ragingkitty
+1

You'll only really start to get constructive opinions when you tell us the sounds you are trying to get to (examples of bands) and when you tell us your amp.

Otherwise, this discussion will be more academic than constructive.

Hmm...I don't mind an academic discourse...I am just unfamiliar with the brand. I know EMG and Seymour Duncan's product line pretty well, but when it comes to DiMarzio, I am kind of in the dark. I've checked out the website- the pickup selector tool is a cool feature, but I was wondering people's personal experiences/setups with the DiMarzio pups.

As for my sounds, I would like to get a hefty bridge pup that handles the heavy stuff and a searing lead sound from the neck.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
Hmm...I don't mind an academic discourse...I am just unfamiliar with the brand. I know EMG and Seymour Duncan's product line pretty well, but when it comes to DiMarzio, I am kind of in the dark. I've checked out the website- the pickup selector tool is a cool feature, but I was wondering people's personal experiences/setups with the DiMarzio pups.

As for my sounds, I would like to get a hefty bridge pup that handles the heavy stuff and a searing lead sound from the neck.

hefty - how hefty? In fact, what do you mean by hefty?

heavy - how heavy? Behemoth's heavy is a whole different brand of heavy from Metallica

searing lead - Alexi Laiho lead or Devin Townsend searing?

Give us something concrete to work with. DiMarzio's pickups are varied and each pickup is different.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Kitty-
have you had alot experience with DiMarzios? Are they in your setup?

Hefty as in a thrash metal sound. Lead as in a Jason Becker type thing....

I understand that each pickup in their product line is nuanced and different, thats why I listed the type of wood my guitar is, my style of playing - trust me, I am no noob...
I am trying to get some other people's experiences with the brand to see if they are a worthy opponent to the classic EMG pairing of the 81/85 I am considering.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

I used to use DiMarzios.

Today I only use Bare Knuckles pickups.

However, I do have quite a bit of experience with DiMarzios.

The amp is probably the largest contributor to your tone, which is why we keep asking for you amp.

With your guitar tonewoods, you're looking at a relatively well balanced tone, with some emphasis with the high frequencies.

Based on what you're looking at, I'd suggest an Air Norton in the neck, and maybe a D Activator for the bridge. However, while the D Activator is an excellent metal pup, it can be slightly bright, when combined with the maple top, it might be give the bridge position a slightly nasally quality. Some alternatives you can consider for the bridge position is the Super Distortion or D Sonic.

What is this SD Firestorm? Its not a Seymour Duncan product I've come across ever.

Can I ask why you're specifically looking at the EMG 81/85? I find that they have a very specific use, and offer little outside of those uses.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Sep 11, 2009,
I have a dimarzio Dual Sound. its basicly a super distortion set up for a coil split. perfect for my fat strat. i play a lot of different genres(punk, pop punk, 80's metal, classic rock, grunge) and it works for all of them.
my guitar is a fat strat deluxe btw
My Gear...
Fender Deluxe Fat Strat
Fernandes Retrorocket
Epiphone G400
Blackstar HT-5c
Blackstar HT Club 40
Quote by JackWylde
simply due to the fact that they can also go passive. but an active preamp will void any form of wood tone.

thats what i meant, if you slap a pair of normal EMG's in a guitar they sound the same in every guitar, and it doesnt even sound that good.
Gear:
ESP LTD ALEXI-600
Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag Crybaby From Hell
Digitech RP-90
Marshall MG250DFX

24/7
Yea...the shielding of EMGs, along with the nature of the pup make em sound the same no matter what guitar they are in...

How are the Harmonics with a D-Activator??

The SD firestorm is the pre amp that came in my Japanese Jackson DX10DFS. It is a pre amp that boosts the guitar.

Quote by Perp8tualMotion

Quote by Richmanofaction
Yea...the shielding of EMGs, along with the nature of the pup make em sound the same no matter what guitar they are in...

How are the Harmonics with a D-Activator??

The SD firestorm is the pre amp that came in my Japanese Jackson DX10DFS. It is a pre amp that boosts the guitar.

Harmonics with the D Activator....

Honestly, I can't tell. Harmonics aren't something I test extensively with all the pups I had . If I were to make a guess based on the sound... I'd say it'd probably be bright and prominent, beyond that I can't say.

Also, the D Activator is designed to sound like active pickups.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
I run a setup similar to John Petrucci on my Jackson DK2 being that I run the D-Sonic in the bridge and that thing is great. it's hot and the out put is wonderful, my harmonics both natural and artificial are wonderful. The tone keeps things clear and doesn't go muddy. In the neck since it's a single coil I went with the Air Norton S. this is a wonderfully warm pickup and on a clean setting it's so creamy and smooth. Real warm and great for the neck it has a nice rounding of lows and mids to it that is just meaty if you will.

When I was running with a hard rock band for a bit that was my main guitar and my other axe was my Sonex 180 Deluxe that basically has the Zakk Setup of the 81/85 which I like in that axe as well though I only used that axe for like 3 songs it was good and either way If I had a string break I could play my set with either and it wouldn't make a big noticeable difference to an untrained ear. really it was just for a little more zing in the artificials that I wanted on the few tracks that I grabbed the Gibson. Hope this helps.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)