Hey guys and gals, sorry for another generic "help me" thread, but;

I've played guitar for a couple of years now and will continue to do so. But after recently learning a couple of Tool songs on the bass guitar round my mates I just want a bass... big time! Cuz it sounds like sex!!

Anyways, I'm strapped for cash and was wondering what bass and amp I should get to start me off on a budget. So far I've been looking toward either an:

Ibanez GSR200 - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/ibanez/gsr_200/index.html

Dean MetalMan Z or Demonator - http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/bass_guitars/dean/ml_metalman/index.html

Other than this I have no idea about a decent starting bass OR amp.

I will mainly be playing stuff from bands like Tool, Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, RATM... and then maybe venture into the realms of Entombed, Korpiklaani, Immortal, Carcass, Enslaved, Tyr, Opeth. Anyways.. plentiful amounts of metal, rock, classic hippy sorta stuff. But mainly heavy music.

I have a budget of around £250.. which is about.. $400 I'd guess. Should be able to spend a bit more than that if needs be. Appreciate any useful advice.

Cheers
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Look at acoustic amps, they're a brand. Not sure if they have them in the UK though

and the Ibanez seems like a good choice, also look at higher end squire basses such as the VM series
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
Go with the GSR, I had that as a first bass, and you won't regret it. As for amps, I'd get the largest budget together you can. It'd be better to wait a bit and get an intermediate amp then to get a terrible one now. And never Behringer.
Top 5 Rush Songs:
1. La Villa Strangiato
2. Natural Science
3. The Main Monkey Business
4. Vital Signs
5. Subdivisions

Complete Atomic Basie by Count Basie.

Ask me shit: formspring.me/howthiswork
I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I'm very happy with my Laney RB1 amp.
It's only 15W, so anything but roompractice probably wouldn't work.
Ibanez GSR200
Laney RB1

(\__/)this is bunny, copy bunny into your sig and help
(O.o )him to dominate the world.
(> < )
Check out Yamaha's BB series, good build quality....

Practice amps... the small cube from roland??? The orange crush bass???
I'd go with the GSR200. I've played three of them, and they're pretty consistent with their build quality (which is good). Look at Squiers too if you want to go the passive route.

As for amps, try the Peavey Max158 or a Fender Rumble. Both of them sound pretty good. I'd recommend my amp, but I'm pretty sure that they don't have them in the UK.
The GSR200 is a solid bass. I started on one and I didn't turn out too bad huh? Haha anyways, its good quality, a good value, and its not gonna fall apart on you unless you set it on fire and beat it against the wall
the GSR200 gets another vote.

Ashdown, Peavey and Hartke make good amps for cheap, get one of those. I'd go Peavey myself.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Alex Vik
I'd go with the GSR200. I've played three of them, and they're pretty consistent with their build quality (which is good). Look at Squiers too if you want to go the passive route.

As for amps, try the Peavey Max158 or a Fender Rumble. Both of them sound pretty good. I'd recommend my amp, but I'm pretty sure that they don't have them in the UK.

you can get the Fender Rumble in Guitarguitar think you can get the Peavy's there aswell :P.

I personally tried a Laney and a Rumble and i prefered the laney maybe cause i like Laney LOL.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
you can get the Fender Rumble in Guitarguitar think you can get the Peavy's there aswell :P.

I personally tried a Laney and a Rumble and i prefered the laney maybe cause i like Laney LOL.

Since when do they have Guitar Centers in the UK?
Quote by Alex Vik
Since when do they have Guitar Centers in the UK?

http://guitarguitar.co.uk/
its not guitar centre xD, its a dffrent store pretty good place aswell i can spend hours in their shops but thats for another topic.I would say it plays 2nd best to GAK on the web but its more easily accesible as i stay a 25min car journey away from their Edinburgh store.
Guitar Gear
Guitar: Ibanez GRG140 (black)
Amp:Peavey Vypyr 75

Bass Gear
Bass: Fender P-bass MIM,Peavey Millenium 5 BXP (x2),Epiphone Thunderbird
Amp:Ampeg PF500 w PF210 cab
Pedals: ODB-3,Big Muff.
Quote by Razgriz_101
http://guitarguitar.co.uk/
its not guitar centre xD, its a dffrent store pretty good place aswell i can spend hours in their shops but thats for another topic.I would say it plays 2nd best to GAK on the web but its more easily accesible as i stay a 25min car journey away from their Edinburgh store.

Oh, ****, I misread. When I said "I don't think they have them in the UK" in my other comment, I was referring to my amp, not the Rumble and Peavey.