So i just came off my second ban (thoroughly deserved - i told someone to delete their system 32) but this isn't about that. This is about MUSE's latest album. The news article was about MUSE's new album being leaked and illegally downloaded. I posted a link to Australia's youth radio station Triple J (owned by the government) where the album was being streamed in full legally. By me posting this it meant people could listen to the album legally before it's release instead of illegally by downloading etc.

I checked my e-mails this evening stating "Linking to illegally released material is against the rules." and that i had received a warning. I challenge anyone to find an explanation as to why a Government funded radio station would illegally post an entire album on their website and promote the stream via live radio. If it was indeed illegal Triple J would be sued for millions by MUSE.

Furthermore this treads over into a deeper issue, will UG mods now be cracking down on videos on youtube that infringe copyright? I've never heard of anyone being warned for linking a video of even a lesson from say Steve Vai which is copyrighted material. What about our beloved demotes? Will people now be warned because the shoop a picture from the Gibson website?

This could be a very slippery slope indeed......

TLDR: I was accused by a UG mod of posting illegal material when it was in fact legal
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
UG mods don't care about copyrighted Youtube videos because it's Youtube's probelem and not UG's, if that's what your asking.

EDIT: and if a UG mod accused you of posting illegal material, prove how it's legal, and end of story.
Take it up with the mods, not the pit.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
not really - but that is a fair point too

EDIT: I already have
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
You were obviously let off the hook, so why are you still whining like a bitch?
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
I got a ban a couple of years ago for posting a Queens of the Stone Age song that had been legally uploaded. I explained to the mod and they let me off and that was that. I don't think they have any intention of stopping people posting legal music, Why would they?
Quote by JamesDouglas
You were obviously let off the hook, so why are you still whining like a bitch?

I wasn't let off the hook...yet.

The ramifications of this could be huge, think, no more linking to youtube. Period.
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Quote by smb
I got a ban a couple of years ago for posting a Queens of the Stone Age song that had been legally uploaded. I explained to the mod and they let me off and that was that. I don't think they have any intention of stopping people posting legal music, Why would they?

+1000

it's not like the mods are a-moral assholes, they just don't want the owners of te site to get in trouble.

Quote by Double Basser
I wasn't let off the hook...yet.

The ramifications of this could be huge, think, no more linking to youtube. Period.

nope, that's never going to happen. even if you link to copyrighted material on youtube, it's not UG's, but rather Youtube's problem. so the mods wont ever care what you link to on youtube.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Sep 10, 2009,
*makes in "In Russia" joke*
Quote by icaneatcatfood
On second thought, **** tuning forks. You best be carrying around a grand piano that was tuned by an Italian
Quote by CoreysMonster
+1000

it's not like the mods are a-moral assholes, they just don't want the owners of te site to get in trouble.

True, but a little common sense wouldn't go astray.

It's pretty obvious that it was legal - especially if you followed the link
Gear:
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Quote by Double Basser
True, but a little common sense wouldn't go astray.

It's pretty obvious that it was legal - especially if you followed the link

which is why if you can prove it was legal, they'll let you off the hook.

I honestly dont see the problem here.
You could PM the mod instead of making a thread and risking another warning.
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Take this up with the mods. Theres no need to make a ****ing thread about it.
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Yeah. UG didn't actually post any links on their article. You did. Therein lies the difference. Take this up with the mods though complaining about it having just been banned is either brave or stupid, and i don't think it's the former.

Besides, the only thing i can find on youtube is a 30 second clip of each song in a reel. No more than you can get on itunes.
Take it up with the mods. In any case, nothings probably gonna come out of it: they may admit they're wrong, but you still posted this thread, so you're stuck with your warning.
Quote by CoreysMonster
which is why if you can prove it was legal, they'll let you off the hook.

I honestly dont see the problem here.

He posted the link, the mod could have click on it instead of posting an email. Innocent before proven guilty is how it should be; before threatening its MEMBERS of the site, the UG mods should be the ones proving something was WRONG, not just making baseless accusations.

Also he's not whining like a bitch, he wrote to the mods first, then came here to say what happened and how this may lead to a youtube ban. Saying its ok to post youtube links is ok because its youtubes problem is the same as saying uploading an album illegally on rapidshare is rapidshares problem. The difference in this case is the site and the stream was fully LEGAL, and yet again some mod had another power trip.
Thread *Reported* to save everyone bitching at you.

In short, PM the Mod / Admin + Don't make a thread about it in The Pit.
RIP Tom Searle.
Last edited by MH400 at Sep 10, 2009,