It's possible to do most of the songs downpicking to give that extra "oomph" but I never do them just downpicking, it's too tiring.
no.... you cant gallop with no up strokes.... but songs like master of puppets and for whom the bell tolls are played with down picking
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Read the title of the post! It says kill 'em all Master of Puppets has its own album as for For Whom the Bell Tolls is off Ride the Lightning not Kill 'em All!
Some of the songs are simply not possible to downpick exclusively. Whiplash is much too fast for a human being to downpick.

The emphasis on Metallica's downpicking skills has really turned into a strange thing of legend.

Metallica do not downpick exclusively, they do it whenever possible. Two very different things.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by JayPresto
why does everyone love downpicking so much?

it's half the work to alternate

Technically it's double the work since each note needs a down and up stroke, and it sounds better in plenty of situations.
James Hetfield is a machine when it comes down to down picking. And clearly its not all downpicking :P
Gear:
ESP LTD ALEXI-600
Dunlop DB-01 Dimebag Crybaby From Hell
Digitech RP-90
Marshall MG250DFX

24/7
Quote by goncalocobain
Its true that metallica play the songs of this album all with downpicking only?

Nope. The gallops are alternate picked, Four Horseman riff alternate picked, Whiplash obviously would be alternate picked. A lot of that album is alternate picked compared to what people think.
ah yeah, some songs are really fast. Im learning seek and destroy, should i play the with downpicking?
Quote by goncalocobain
ah yeah, some songs are really fast. Im learning seek and destroy, should i play the with downpicking?

Seek and Destroy should be possible with downpicking, but some parts are very fast and will need practice.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
I can almost downpick the main riff to Horsemen. It wouldn't be much of a problem for Hetfield. Whiplash obviously isn't downpicked but I can do a large portion of Kill 'em All downpicked and I'm not that good.

EDIT: Ehhh. I'm prety uneven and really slow on the Horsemen riff, even Hetfield wouldn't bother it when he could alt. pick it.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Last edited by BladeSlinger at Sep 10, 2009,
I'd say its a fair mix.
The obvious very fast stuff like Whiplash and Metal Militia are alternated picked.
A lot of it can be played as just downpicks though.
TOTAL BRO
I can't even alt. pick a lot of Metallica riffs. It just doesn't fit.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls