Im looking to buy a marshall jcm 800 combo with a single channel and low gain and high gain inputs. Ive never had a single channel amp before so im still a little unsure of how to obtain my clean tones. I know I turn down the gain and adjust my volume, but im just wondering if theres something else I do and if its a pain sometimes not having the two channels seperate? im liking the sound on the 800s a lot, but maybe the 900s are more practical?
I thought high and low was impedance personaly.

It depends how quickly you want to switch between cleans and gain. If you want to switch in the middle of a song, it's a pain. If however you get your distortion/crunch sound from a pedal and not the amp, it's not a pain.
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Use an EQ pedal, set it too scooped mids and lower the overall volume. Engage it for clean sounds.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
No it actually has an extra gain stage for the high jack vs low jack. You could use an A/B box to switch between the 2 but still only gonna have the single vol/tone control.
volume knob brother, it does wonders

also there is a stomp box that acts like a volume knob. I can't remember the name or anything of it though
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by JLT73
volume knob brother, it does wonders

also there is a stomp box that acts like a volume knob. I can't remember the name or anything of it though

Volume pedal?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
You do what we did before multi channel amps became the norm - you dial in your clean sound on the amp, and use a pedal or the volume on your guitar for overdriven/distorted tones.
Quote by FischmungaXTR
Use an EQ pedal, set it too scooped mids and lower the overall volume. Engage it for clean sounds.

+1

This is what I do with my Windsor. Not necessarily those settings, but I use an EQ pedal to help with the cleans.
Quote by tubetime86
Volume pedal?

no. damn it I wish i could remember
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
if I were to use an EQ pedal with my cleans what are a few of the best ones available for a reasonable price? Or is a volume pedal better?
Don't use a volume pedal, they can suck a bit of the treble out, whereas with an EQ you can compensate for this by raising the 3.2KHz band to get a more 'acoustic' sound.

As for what EQ pedal, you could try the Behringer or Danelectro pedals if you just want to experiment, they're really cheap. Otherwise, the MXR-10 band is a good choice if you don't want to go for a big digital rack EQ.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Volume knob!
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera