Yes, but most people boost with an OD to fatten the distortion. You might boost your volume with a clean boost but depending on the amp and settings you may not get the added distortion sound you want.
I used to until just last week. The lead guitarist in the band Im in got his old 60's fender reverb amp fixed (which sounds great) but when he went to do a solo you could hardly hear him. Leading me to the conclusion that boost pedal actually do serve a porous and he needs one.
There is a war going on for your mind.

If you are thinking, you are winning.

Resistance is victory.

We are building up a new world.
Do not sit idly by.
Tuner
Overdrive
Chorus
Reverb
Delay

All that is really necessary.
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
at least with a tube amp and distortion rich tones (metal,hard rock), a little od boost in front of the amp tightens it up and helps show the amp's true voice. I would have never considered the amp I bought going by sound clips on its website, but when I test drove it with a little boost from an 808....wow! I was in love.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
Last edited by miketheslut at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by sharpant
Tuner
Overdrive
Chorus
Reverb
Delay

Take out the reverb then its perfect, most places have a nice natural reverb so yah
Sort of. If you're like me, and roll down the volume to get a rhythm tone, and roll the volume up for solos, it's not THAT needed. If your rhythm tone means you need your volume on 10, then it's all cool and you can use one.

Although, I don't think they are worth the £80.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by sharpant
Tuner
Overdrive
Chorus
Reverb
Delay

Chorus isn't necessary. Nor is overdrive, or reverb, or delay.

Or a tuner.

Those things might be fun, and add something to the sound, but I wouldn't say necessary.

Now ring modulators, they're a necessity.
Some amps love them so whats wrong with running them.

And there a great way for the lead guitarist to cut through the mix. Be it from volume or the mid hump most OD's have.

Great for tight'ing up a loose amp as well.

That said if you dont need one then dont use one. But most can find a use for them and end up loving having one on there board.
Quote by sharpant
Tuner
Overdrive
Chorus
Reverb
Delay

Pretty much spot on...except I'll agree with someone above who said chorus isn't needed.

That's sorta true...

If your amp has a good reverb (or a decent reverb pedal), then you don't need chorus.
But if you don't have a good reverb, then a chorus can add a similar touch to the sound.

Overdrive (using level control, not the pedals drive) is a very effective way to tighten up the overdrive and show the true color of your amps natural overdrive.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by sharpant
Tuner
Overdrive
Chorus
Reverb
Delay

disagrees

I like to boost my fuzzes, and my od makes them sound too goofy. Don't buy it if you don't want one.
Quote by sharpant
Tuner
Overdrive
Chorus
Reverb
Delay

guitar-> amp.
Quote by pak1351

disagrees

I like to boost my fuzzes, and my od makes them sound too goofy. Don't buy it if you don't want one.

most fuzzes and ods are based on the same circuitry so that would be about like running 2 of the same pedal.
7 string Legion 7 > 6 Do mosh pits warm your heart? Then become a SECOND RATE CITIZEN.....better than the worst!
They aren't unneccesary completely.
But saying that, they aren't needed 90% of the time as you can get your boost some other way.
404: Sig not found.
In my situation and sound, its very unnecessary. When i hit the boost, it does practically nothing, but that is because i dime the gain anyway. Any boost in the front of my amp just makes is loose and flubby.
Quote by miketheslut
most fuzzes and ods are based on the same circuitry so that would be about like running 2 of the same pedal.

ok?

I like to boost my fuzzes.
I use my boost pedal for slight overdrive, works well for me.
Control your destiny.