Does anyone have any experience with the Zoom H4n? I'm thinking of getting one and wondered if anyone had some hands on experience with it. Would you recommend it? What do you like / don't like about it? Anything else I should get instead? I want a simple portable recorder that I don't have to screw with, just sit down and go.

Thanks!
Main Gear:
Fender 72 Tele Deluxe (Modded)
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
I have an old school Tascam 4 track tape recorder ... but whenever I want to record I have to get mics, cables, stands, tapes, etc all around before I can even sit to play.

I want something where I just push a button and it's ready; built in mics, multi-track recording and mixing, effects, etc. The less complications I have when going to record the better.
Main Gear:
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
The Zoom H4n is a nice unit just for quick idea capturing...which is true for most of these small, low end devices.

The Zoom H4 is another good unit which offers on board XLR jacks at the bottom. I'm not sure how it compares to the Zoom H4n though.
Lastly, have a look at the new Zoom H2 as it has better on board mics and features however lacks XLR inputs on the bottom.

I have no hands-on experience with the H4n or H4 however have used the H2 at school to capture field recordings for videos and it works very well.
I was seriously considering getting the H4N as a portable sample-capturing recorder (to replace my minidisc). To all those saying "my 80's 20kg four-track is better" noone wants to lug that thing around with them... portable all the way
Quote by Tombe
With pedals you can throw your guitar down for an impromptu pedal drone solo, whereas if you did that on a rack it would just look like you were programming your washing machine.
The h4n has two XLR combo jacks on the bottom (providing phantom power) so it will take XLR inputs as well as 1/4" guitar inputs. I've done my research, I was just wondering if anyone has had hands on experience with them. The h4n is newer than the h2; and replaces the h4. So it's the newest unit available, and if the h2 sounded fine then I'm sure the h4n will be great as well.

Thanks, if anyone else has experience, let me know!
Main Gear:
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
Just in case anyone else is looking into this unit, I just received mine and will be testing it out thoroughly. I'll post what I think soon!
Main Gear:
Fender MIM Strat
Ibanez Acoustic
Vox VR15

Saving For:
Peavey Classic 30
I'm saving for one. Hopefully I'll order next week.

Can't wait for your review though !
Quote by hendricks.89
Just in case anyone else is looking into this unit, I just received mine and will be testing it out thoroughly. I'll post what I think soon!

yea be sure to see what it can do for a few weeks and put a review in the pinned post at the top of the forum.
I have not done a review in a while...just got one in on the PreSonus FP10.