Im saving for a new amp to use mainly for practice and band practice and maybe for small gigs to start with. Ive looked at the Spider Valves and a Harley Benton G212v with a Peavey Vk Head and like them the most but i dont really need the modelling on the spider just the clean channel. Does anyone no if either of these are worth it and could anyone recommend a amp in a simmilar price range of <£500
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Maiden fan i'm assuming so the peavey would be a bit too US- sounding for you, besides 100 watt valve is OVER-KILL, look in to the laney lc range and a randall rg50tc
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75480
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75481
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80786
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73876
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
The TC is one of those amps that everyone recommends because everyone else recommends them.

They aren't that great, really odd solidstate/valve tone, bad switches, bad bias pots and kinda ****ty reliability.

The Spider valve is actually a really good amp if you eq it correctly and SPEND TIME figuring out your perfect tone. Its a modeler at heart which means that its eq range is HUGE but requires extensive modifying to sound great.

The valve king is also not a bad choice, and the half stack aspect just means more boom and bottom end. I was never a fan of valve kings but thats just my taste. Something icy about them, hard to describe.

Try out both extensively with YOUR guitar and determine if want either.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Mybleedinglung8
Maiden fan i'm assuming so the peavey would be a bit too US- sounding for you, besides 100 watt valve is OVER-KILL, look in to the laney lc range and a randall rg50tc
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75480
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75481
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/80786
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/73876

Like that randall alot but where can i find a nearby shop that has em to try out i'm in the west midlands if it helps
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
the thred needs a poll and

PV-VK
Quote by rgrockr
You can buy whatever guitar you want, you don't have to be at a certain skill level to buy one. This is real life, not some guitar-playing RPG where you have to unlock new guitars.
Quote by riflesndaisies
Like that randall alot but where can i find a nearby shop that has em to try out i'm in the west midlands if it helps

www.soundtech.co.uk - go to the randall dealers section. I have the amp and it sounds great for the price, obivously you could get a much better deal if you go used, even get your hands on a 2nd hand JCM 800/900 combo which would perfect for your style.
Current Rig:

Eppy SG w/Swineheads, Marshall DSL 5c, Joyo Vintage OD, Joyo British Sound, Sounds Sounds Fuzz Face, GGG Guv'nor, Dr. Boogie Pedal, Crybaby in Red Sparkle, Digitech Hardwire Delay

The things I would do for a Les Paul...
I play mostly maiden and simmilar styles of metal but i also play Metallica, Bon Jovi, American Voice and British Voiced and Pantera but mostly maiden.
What would be good for playing Maiden with nice cleans and plenty of gain to play heavier stuff even if it wont sound right because i'm going to do covers of them.
Also will tubes work good with a Boss ME-50 or do i need a tubescreamer also because i'd like to keep the spending to a minimum.
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Sep 10, 2009,
Tbh, I found the Valvekings to be bland, too loose, and not very interesting overall. I did only play a combo, but I'm sure the head contains the same "features".

Unless you crank that Spider Valve it's going to sound a lot like a spider. A bit thicker, maybe, but still sterile until you get those toobs cooking. So if you know you could crank it, I'd go for a SV. Plus, I heard they were on sale this week.

Also, amp distortion > pedal distortion. Almost always.
Mah Rig
Guitars:
BC Rich Mockingbird (X2N)
Schecter Hellraiser (81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 head (Distortion obv)
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Quote by sesstreets
The TC is one of those amps that everyone recommends because everyone else recommends them.

They aren't that great, really odd solidstate/valve tone, bad switches, bad bias pots and kinda ****ty reliability.

The Spider valve is actually a really good amp if you eq it correctly and SPEND TIME figuring out your perfect tone. Its a modeler at heart which means that its eq range is HUGE but requires extensive modifying to sound great.

The valve king is also not a bad choice, and the half stack aspect just means more boom and bottom end. I was never a fan of valve kings but thats just my taste. Something icy about them, hard to describe.

Try out both extensively with YOUR guitar and determine if want either.
+1

To choose from the Valveking and the Spider Valve, the Line 6 wins, particularly for your needs. It does still retain a digital and processed sense of itself, but at least it has more balls than the Valveking and has better quality of build, and of course, has solid effects with more suitable speakers. It's actually a little louder than the Valveking, anyway. Just give it time, as mentioned.
But the Randall RG50TC is also a nice amp for the money. It is temperamental and slightly American sounding but nothing in comparison to the Valveking. They are not particularly common in England, unfortunately, though.

You could look into the Bugera range: 1990, 6262, 333, etc. I have only played the 6262 but it was very impressive. It had the hi-fi qualities similar to that of it's inspiration, the Peavey 6505, but with a little more compression and livliness. I wouldn't say it's better, but certainly more refined and with a superior clean channel. But to be honest, it's clean sounds felt slightly more cold, even though they are more balanced. Almost too shimmering.
I can't necessarily say the same for it's build quality, though. Check the Ultimate Bugear thread in GG&A here. Folks there will give you a solid explanation of what is going on with them and what has gone on with them.

Laney, as mentioned, make great amplifiers. If you are lucky, you may be able to pick up a Laney GH50L and cabinet for about £550, if you're willing to push that far. Otherwise, the VC and LC series are very recommendable. They are a little whispy and thin, but with an EQ pedal and overdrive box, I'm sure you'll be able to discover very British, Iron Maiden-esque tones.

Marshall will offer a decent setup for you. But imho, they're over-priced brand new. You can pick up a DSL for a reasonable price these days. A TSL, even though I haven't tried it, is something else to look into. As is the JCM800 and 900.
But, if you can afford it, the 2266 is one of the better Marshalls on the market. I imagine it's because it uses KT66's instead of EL34's or whatever they use - which are commonly too brittle and harsh.
I think the KT's are Russian and sound really rugged and etheral.

The Orange Tiny Terror is a nice amp. I haven't tried the Dual Terror, yet, but it's supposed to be similar just with a few extra tidings, like double wattage and an extra channel - which seems pointless to me as I've heard it doesn't do clean that well.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp for the money. Look into it.
Quote by AngryGoldfish
+1

To choose from the Valveking and the Spider Valve, the Line 6 wins, particularly for your needs. It does still retain a digital and processed sense of itself, but at least it has more balls than the Valveking and has better quality of build, and of course, has solid effects with more suitable speakers. It's actually a little louder than the Valveking, anyway. Just give it time, as mentioned.
But the Randall RG50TC is also a nice amp for the money. It is temperamental and slightly American sounding but nothing in comparison to the Valveking. They are not particularly common in England, unfortunately, though.

You could look into the Bugera range: 1990, 6262, 333, etc. I have only played the 6262 but it was very impressive. It had the hi-fi qualities similar to that of it's inspiration, the Peavey 6505, but with a little more compression and livliness. I wouldn't say it's better, but certainly more refined and with a superior clean channel. But to be honest, it's clean sounds felt slightly more cold, even though they are more balanced. Almost too shimmering.
I can't necessarily say the same for it's build quality, though. Check the Ultimate Bugear thread in GG&A here. Folks there will give you a solid explanation of what is going on with them and what has gone on with them.

Laney, as mentioned, make great amplifiers. If you are lucky, you may be able to pick up a Laney GH50L and cabinet for about £550, if you're willing to push that far. Otherwise, the VC and LC series are very recommendable. They are a little whispy and thin, but with an EQ pedal and overdrive box, I'm sure you'll be able to discover very British, Iron Maiden-esque tones.

Marshall will offer a decent setup for you. But imho, they're over-priced brand new. You can pick up a DSL for a reasonable price these days. A TSL, even though I haven't tried it, is something else to look into. As is the JCM800 and 900.
But, if you can afford it, the 2266 is one of the better Marshalls on the market. I imagine it's because it uses KT66's instead of EL34's or whatever they use - which are commonly too brittle and harsh.
I think the KT's are Russian and sound really rugged and etheral.

The Orange Tiny Terror is a nice amp. I haven't tried the Dual Terror, yet, but it's supposed to be similar just with a few extra tidings, like double wattage and an extra channel - which seems pointless to me as I've heard it doesn't do clean that well.

The Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp for the money. Look into it.

Thanks a bunch will look at the Laneys and 2nd hand marshalls and maybe the bugera but ive heard good and bad things about the quality of them

EDIT: what would be a good cab to get for the heads ive heard harley benton g212 vintage has celestion v30s so would that be a good affdordable cab?
Gear:
LTD Viper-50
LTD V-250
Line 6 Spider iii 15
Randall RX120R
Boss ME-50
Last edited by riflesndaisies at Sep 10, 2009,
I haven't played it, but the Framus Dragon 2x12 is only a little more expensive. It's arguably the best cabinet in that price range.