So I got a new amplifier and I want to build up a solid pedal arsenal. Delay is first on the list, so....

I'm interested in buying Delay, mainly for Ambient and secondly for general use(fatten up solos/lead parts). I've seen the DD3, DD6, the Giga Delay and the Nova Delay. I know the latter two have a lot of features but are they worth the extra bit of cash when I'm needing other effects?

I rather spend a bit more for a quality effect than take the cheaper way out, but like 99% of every other musician out there, I'm on a budget so if I can save money, fine, if not, well fine too.

If you know any other versatile delay, with a budget of $250 USD, like boutique or non mentioned, please mention!
Quote by Eddie4President
Either you remind her of a girl, or she's not a lesbian.

Quote by blake1221
Jabba's real name is Katie.
Ya. Out of those I'd like the Giga or Nova, but I'm open to suggestions. I can't try them out so I'm basing myself on videos and what people say about them.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Hey hey!

I have owned many delays, and played many more. So hopefully this will be helpful.

First things first: Analog or Digital?

Analog: Warm, dark, sometimes saturated repeats, less delay time available, more expensive. In my opinion, they also sound far better than digital. Analog is ideal for ambient music, however, on shorter settings (for fattening up a solo, for example) analog can sound a little tinny, for lack of a better word. Ability to oscillate is always fun

My recommendations:
EHX Memory Boy/ Deluxe Memory Man
Ibanez AD9
DMB Lunar Echo (fits into your budget, sounds amazing!)
MXR Carbon Copy (although there are better pedals for the price)
Malekko Ekko 616

Digital: Often, but not always, sterile, somewhat cold and lifeless, although these can be desired traits for some. Very accurate repeats, without the gradual decay and saturation of analog. Sometimes capable of very long delay times, and short slap-back type echos sound great.

My reccomendations:
Boss DD-6
T-Rex Reptile
EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai

Good luck!
for an analog delay that is by far the best for the money, look at wampler pedals analog echo. hard to find a better delay in that price range of $149
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
Last edited by madh4ttr at Sep 10, 2009,
That Lunar Echo is some sick ****. Now you made me want to buy it plus the Giga or Nova. lol

The effects I'll probably need are one analog delay and that EHX Memory Boy sounds pretty good for the low price but I probably want to go HQ Digital for the moment...although I'm thinking that Lunar Echo way too much.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
i just picked up a deluxe memory man this past weekend and it is fantastic for ambient stuff (check out my NPD thread from then). also really does fatten up leads. basicly for that stuff, i would look into an analog delay. analog is what gives you the warmth for ambience and adding some depth to leads. some of the nicer digital pedals do have decent analog simulations, but i would go for the real thing.

if you go digital, i really like the giga and nova delay that youve mentioned. nova probably gets my vote there though.
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Hey hey!

I have owned many delays, and played many more. So hopefully this will be helpful.

First things first: Analog or Digital?

Analog: Warm, dark, sometimes saturated repeats, less delay time available, more expensive. In my opinion, they also sound far better than digital. Analog is ideal for ambient music, however, on shorter settings (for fattening up a solo, for example) analog can sound a little tinny, for lack of a better word. Ability to oscillate is always fun

My recommendations:
EHX Memory Boy/ Deluxe Memory Man
Ibanez AD9
DMB Lunar Echo (fits into your budget, sounds amazing!)
MXR Carbon Copy (although there are better pedals for the price)
Malekko Ekko 616

Digital: Often, but not always, sterile, somewhat cold and lifeless, although these can be desired traits for some. Very accurate repeats, without the gradual decay and saturation of analog. Sometimes capable of very long delay times, and short slap-back type echos sound great.

My reccomendations:
Boss DD-6
T-Rex Reptile
EHX Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai

Good luck!

This man said it all.

OR, save up and get that!

Thanks. Any idea of what distortion/overdrive pedal I could use for ambient stuff and probably to boost my leads? I saw the post-rock thread recommends the DS-1 which is pretty cheap but if I have to extend my wallet so I can boost up my lead without having a noise/feedback mess I will. DS-1? Bad Monkey maybe? I just want to boost up my Mesa for metal leads a bit more and smooth it out. If I have to buy different pedals, just mention what would you recommend while staying under $100.

Thanks so much guys, I spent my day off Uni researching what you've mentioned so far.
Quote by Eddie4President

Quote by blake1221
Last edited by RR787 at Sep 10, 2009,
giga all the way. im looking at getting one. i know many regional bands that use it.

i just have a digidelay right now. but i need more layers and it has 23 secs of loop.
I like the Nova Delay over the Giga Delay. I guess mostly since it has 5 more presets though. Look online for 'scratch n dent' deals. I got my Nova Delay for $210 that way. Might as well have been brand new though.
I have a huge fear if rays.
if you're not worried about presets, check out the t.c. electronic nova repeater. it's like the nova delay, but without presets, and it has a couple of other things on it.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5