#1
I just bought a Spector NS-5H2-FM and when ever I put the batteries in it they die by the next day. Is this just the bass eats batteries like a monkey does with ice cream? or is it that the batteries I'm putting in die alot naturaly and are just awful.. I'm putting in store brand 9vs.
#2
Quote by Lazenby
I just bought a Spector NS-5H2-FM and when ever I put the batteries in it they die by the next day. Is this just the bass eats batteries like a monkey does with ice cream? or is it that the batteries I'm putting in die alot naturaly and are just awful.. I'm putting in store brand 9vs.


That would be your problem, I guess. I've had nothing but problems with 'no name' batteries in guitars.
Quote by UraniYum
Fuck you I'm trying to be caring and shit


Quote by Cb4rabid
Okay guys, I have a confession to make. Not really a confession since it's something that's been bugging me for awhile but I've always been in denial about it.

**** you gilly, it's not what you think
#3
do you leave your bass plugged in? having a cord in the input jack keeps the battery in the circuit
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
#8
alright i will buy better batteries as soon as i can right now i have absolutly no way of going anywhere but is there a certain brand that i should buy or just not store brand?
#9
theres online stores that sell bulk rechargeables, the charger actually costs more then the batteries but WILL save you mad bills in the long run. plus, youll always have some handy for gigs and what not.
Quote by evening_crow
As far as i know the only liquor that should not be stored after opened is wine, and even then it's mainly the french one. American wine usually has conservatives in it to stop this.
#10
This might seem far fetched, but the circuitry might have been wired wrong, so that the electronics eat batteries like no tomorrow. I've heard of it happening before. First of all replace the battery with decent ones like everyone else has said, but if that still doesn't work, take it to a tech. Or if you know your way around a circuit board, email Spector and ask them for a wiring diagram, so that you can save some money and fix it yourself.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
#12
Quote by drossboot
I use power adaptors for all my pedals. But the rechargeable route works well too. You just never know when a battery is going to crap out on you. Usually it happens to me when I'm playing especially well.

Too bad they don't make power adapters for basses...
#13
There should be a wire on the jack socket which isolates the battery when the jack is removed. If this is faulty, then the circuits remain energised when the jack's removed, thus keeping the battery loaded, and draining it.
I say that, 'cos 24hrs is an awfully short lifespan. My various active basses over the years have managed from 6 months to 2 years on a battery. On that basis, I'm afraid there may be something wrong with yours.
Cheapo store-brand batteries are usually a false economy. Duracell, or Energiser all the way, for my money. The only trustworthy cheaper brands I've found are Varta and Panasonic.
#15
Quote by Alex Vik
Too bad they don't make power adapters for basses...


Alembic? I Swear the very first Alembics had to be powered with adapters because of the active preamp. Or maybe I'm just regurgitating bull****.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
#16
^I'm sure that's why Alembics have an XLR socket. Because XLR is designed to be able to carry power one way, and signal the other.

EDIT: And a power supply was one of the 'unique' features of the Bond Midi Guitar, back in the late 80's.
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Sep 10, 2009,
#17
I know store brand batteries won't be as good as name brand e.g. duracell, but dying by the next day? there is no store brand battery THAT bad, in such a way that it lasts like 2% of the time a brand name battery. I think it has to be something with the wiring in your bass.
-
-
--
---
-----
--------
-------------
Yay fibonacci!
#18
Two things. One, do NOT use rechargeable batteries. Their power is much less consistent, and they actually provide slightly less voltage than a standard 9v. Two, this is an issue with the bass. If the 9v truly dies in 24 hours or less, then no matter how bad it is, it can't be it's fault.
#21
i took it to a tech and it's wired wrong, preety much the way creepingjesus said, i'm going to get it fixed and have it back some time next week. i'm gonna be using another bass i own for a gig today and for now on i'm buying energizer batteries :P
#22

Love that guy.

Quote by Alex Vik
Too bad they don't make power adapters for basses...


It wouldn't take much time at all to wire a 9v jack into a preamp's circuit...the problem is moving around after you do it
Nope, no sig here.
Last edited by Mutant Corn at Sep 13, 2009,
#23
Heh. Batteries confuse me. I've had my bass since christmas 08 and have still not had to change my battery, despite playing hours daily and sometimes forgetting to unplug. Can't complain, but it seems odd, given that the bassist in my old band had to replace his battery every few weeks.