Just a melodeth song my band plays. Kind of want your opinion on it and all that jazz.

c4c as always - the more you write, the more I write back.
Attachments:
Aphelion.gp5
Mah Rig
Guitars:
BC Rich Mockingbird (X2N)
Schecter Hellraiser (81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 head (Distortion obv)
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
Intro, is very and unoriginal boring. Riff at 22 is horrible. BUT the riff at 18 is pretty sweet, and I really like the chord progression at 42. The first half of the song is pretty boring, decent chorus, clean part is nice enough, and a good outro. So try changing the first half around, the riffs are just really unoriginal and such.
Last edited by Gregray88 at Sep 10, 2009,
Man, I checked it out. So...Let's go;
Intro - more generic metalcore looks like
1-st solo - great melody - 5 stars for the solo
Bars 18-21 (Verse ?) - good riff, reminds me Arch Enemy 0_o
Bar 25 - WTF with this bar? It's totally mad - like black-metal in early 1990 ))))
Bars 42-57 - Very good vocal line. Interested me...
Bars 85-87 are awful. Delete them immediately! 0_0
Acoustic parts - TOO simple, not good(
Main solo - really great! I like it!
Outro riff - hmm, it'll be better if there are these chords, but in acoustic.

So, it's my opinion - keep going man! Stay metal!

Crit mine - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1198080
Last edited by Tom Araya at Sep 10, 2009,
Thanks for the crit.

I like the intro a lot.

The solo was perfect.

I LOVE the riff starting at bar 18, fantastic.

The riff at bar 22 I find to be a bit boring, and I didn't like the tremolo picking at bars 25 and 29.

Bars 34-41 reminded me of Trivium; I liked the riff a lot.

42-57 got a bit repetitive IMO, good though.

The acoustic bit of good. I'm going to make the smallest little suggestion, however; at bar 117, there's a 16-16-8 note rhythm (the notes are D-D#-D), I would give these three notes "triplet feel". I tried it out and thought it sounded a bit improved. And of course, make the notes ring, although I'm sure you just forgot to tab it out that way.

The rest was amazing.

9/10.
ESP Viper 1000 Deluxe

Peavey Vypyr 120 Head
ValveKing 4x12 Cab

ISP Decimator
Boss AC-2
Ibanez TS-7
First: this review will sound harsh. It's not intended to be. Admittedly before I start, the song is well executed for what it is, and it's probably not as bad as I might make it sound.

The song was just flat out boring. If you've got a basic knowledge melodeath/metalcore, you've heard this song 10 times over. The melodies were tired, the riffs generic, and the rhythm work was coma inducingly boring. The main problem with this is that as good as it may all be, it just lacks salt. it's well excecuted, well written and all that jazz, but I've heard it so many times it's just boring as hell.

I would suggest listening to some Eucharist, old At the Gates, Sacrilege, and Dismember, then come back and fix this.
Quote by Burning_Angel
First: this review will sound harsh. It's not intended to be. Admittedly before I start, the song is well executed for what it is, and it's probably not as bad as I might make it sound.

The song was just flat out boring. If you've got a basic knowledge melodeath/metalcore, you've heard this song 10 times over. The melodies were tired, the riffs generic, and the rhythm work was coma inducingly boring. The main problem with this is that as good as it may all be, it just lacks salt. it's well excecuted, well written and all that jazz, but I've heard it so many times it's just boring as hell.

I would suggest listening to some Eucharist, old At the Gates, Sacrilege, and Dismember, then come back and fix this.

It's funny you say that, as this song was written by my band's ex rhythm guitarist and lead guitarist. Just wanted an outside opinion of it to see if me finding it boring wasn't just a fluke.

My writting style is actually more along the line of old in flames, old at the gates, and old soilwork. Faster, harder, and less pedal riffing :P
Mah Rig
Guitars:
BC Rich Mockingbird (X2N)
Schecter Hellraiser (81/85)

Amps:
Peavey 5150 head (Distortion obv)
Vox AC30 (Cleans)

Board:
EH Small Clone
ZW Sig Wah (meh)
Boss NS-2
To me, this was very typical Melo-Death metal, but it was missing something else too.

The riffs were a bit boring, I could always expect the higher note in the pedal riffs to come after 2 quavers for the most part and there was little rhythmic variation. It was pretty straightforward which is a characteristic of the genre but the riffs were very bland so it just made it drag on needlessly.

Don't get me wrong, there are some good riffs in there but for the most part, it sounds like you came up with one or two good riffs then chucked in lots of filler guitar parts to make it a song. A drum track would help this immensely.

The solo was actually quite good, nice sound and cool phrasing in my opinion, definitely the best part of the song.

Overall, a rather generic song but not as influential as other standard melo death songs and dragged on a bit. I reckon with a bit more rhythmic variation and better riffs, you could improve the song.

Can you please crit mine in return?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1200507
I really don't think that the riffs that are in 3/4 are actually 3/4. They'd be better notated as 6/8 or 4/4 using triplets. There are clearly 4 pulses per bar.

Edit - Okay, some parts are, like at 83. But parts like 71 definitely aren't.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Last edited by DaddyTwoFoot at Sep 17, 2009,