My first electric guitar came with a cheap starter pack, everything about it is low quality. Therefore, everything needs replacing if I want to keep this guitar as a memory forever, and usable at the same time.

Recently, I've lost one of the screws in the input jack, the thread is worn and the same goes for some of the screws around the scratch plate. The tones nobs don't work and one is a bit too stiff and the other is far too loose. The high e string tuning peg sometimes gets a bit too loose and the 22nd fret sticks off the fretboard a bit. To top it all off, I don't like the sound of single coils in the bridge (its a stratocaster).

I was wondering, just how much would it cost for me to fix the guitar?

I think I would need a potentiometer or something for the tone pot, and i would like one to control both the neck + bridge pickup. Would this be a bad idea with 2 SC and one HB pickup? And would I be better with a standard or switched potentiometer? Which of these would be best for the job?

If I can get away with just one tone nob then I would like a boost circuit instead of the other tone nob, which would cost me 15.95, do these work well with solid state amps? because for practising (hopefully not for too long) that's what I will be using.

Buying from Axetec this is what I've came up with so far.

H/S/S Scratch Plate, White........£12.00
The Tone Pot.............................£04.75
Boost Circuit..............................£15.95
Pickup Selector Switch...............£05.90
Black Screws.............................£03.25
Strap Screws, Felts and Locks..£09.25
Machine Heads.........................£15.95
String Trees..............................£01.85
Graphite Nut.............................£02.50

total if I added correctly...........£70.40

leaving about 70 for pickups.

Is there anything that could be wrong with my guitar I should check in case I missed it? Is there anything here that would require some knowledge about wiring beyond how to follow a wiring diagram that I'm will enquire towards getting from the company?

Thanks in advance

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Last edited by metallicafan616 at Sep 10, 2009,
if it's a low quality guitar the chances are that it'll be low quality body and neck aswell.

but provided you're still willing to go ahead with this
I'd recomend IronGear pickups since you're a UK'er like me :P
they're great value for money at roughly £25 a pickup from the standard range (maybe a couple of quid more for an overwound version or one with a cover on it) or about £45 for the newer higher end range. I personally have used a Hot Slag in a starter guitar of mine (marshall rocket special - strat copy) and it improved it enough for me to keep using it for a while before i got my Vintage SG and i only upgraded to that because i got a good deal on it from a friend (although it is vastly better)
Quote by Bigsteve92
if it's a low quality guitar the chances are that it'll be low quality body and neck aswell.

but provided you're still willing to go ahead with this
I'd recomend IronGear pickups since you're a UK'er like me :P
they're great value for money at roughly £25 a pickup from the standard range (maybe a couple of quid more for an overwound version or one with a cover on it) or about £45 for the newer higher end range. I personally have used a Hot Slag in a starter guitar of mine (marshall rocket special - strat copy) and it improved it enough for me to keep using it for a while before i got my Vintage SG and i only upgraded to that because i got a good deal on it from a friend (although it is vastly better)

its more about keeping its sentimental value and being a semi decent guitar at the same time than modding it into an amazing guitar. with my strat i'd like some yngwie esque tones from the neck pup, which of the iron gear bunch would you reccomend? should i just compare the specs from his signature pickups to the irongear bunch or would that not really work?

One major thing I'd check would be the body wood. If it's plywood, you won't get as much of a good tonal change from the pups. You could always throw some EMGs in there, though.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by metallicafan616
My first electric guitar came with a cheap starter pack, everything about it is low quality. Therefore, everything needs replacing if I want to keep this guitar as a memory forever, and usable at the same time.

Recently, I've lost one of the screws in the input jack, the thread is worn and the same goes for some of the screws around the scratch plate. The tones nobs don't work and one is a bit too stiff and the other is far too loose. The high e string tuning peg sometimes gets a bit too loose and the 22nd fret sticks off the fretboard a bit. To top it all off, I don't like the sound of single coils in the bridge (its a stratocaster).

I think I would need a potentiometer or something for the tone pot, and i would like one to control both the neck + bridge pickup. Would this be a bad idea with 2 SC and one HB pickup? And would I be better with a standard or switched potentiometer? Which of these would be best for the job?

If I can get away with just one tone nob then I would like a boost circuit instead of the other tone nob, which would cost me 15.95, do these work well with solid state amps? because for practising (hopefully not for too long) that's what I will be using.

Is there anything that could be wrong with my guitar I should check in case I missed it? Is there anything here that would require some knowledge about wiring beyond how to follow a wiring diagram that I'm will enquire towards getting from the company?

Thanks in advance

Upgrading is a good idea if the guitar plays right for you. The loose fret is certainly fixable.

Have a look on wdmusic.co.uk and look for suitable bits there, I will sort you out with 25% off if that takes your fancy. CTS pots are the best by the way.

Irongear stuff is very good too.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Quote by Skeet UK
Upgrading is a good idea if the guitar plays right for you. The loose fret is certainly fixable.

Have a look on wdmusic.co.uk and look for suitable bits there, I will sort you out with 25% off if that takes your fancy. CTS pots are the best by the way.

Irongear stuff is very good too.

Thanks for the offer, but I'm kind of short on cash to do this and you're products seem like their in a far higher range than what I'm looking at at the moment. Perhaps after Christmas when I have some more money I will buy a new bridge though, to get rid of the horrible silver one I currently have. I'll bookmark the page with the one I think fits.

Quote by metallicafan616
Thanks for the offer, but I'm kind of short on cash to do this and you're products seem like their in a far higher range than what I'm looking at at the moment. Perhaps after Christmas when I have some more money I will buy a new bridge though, to get rid of the horrible silver one I currently have. I'll bookmark the page with the one I think fits.

It's amazing what you can find if you have a look though.

I can find all of that stuff on there, including decent strap locks and Gotoh Tuners, CTS pot, top quality 5 way switch and for about £87 before discount...so...£65.25....Not including the Boost circuit.

Still...if you fancy any bits later, no worries. Not MY products either...I can just get them a bit cheaper for folks on here if they like.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by metallicafan616

Thanks in advance

These things right here, you have to make sure they are the right measurement, or else they wont fit, also, you might want to replace the saddles, which kinda are a hugh problem with the import strats. Usually the reason you have string break and tuning issues. I dont know what kind of pickups to put in it, I just put EMG's in my squier and have never regreted it.