I keep hearing that some guitars have thin finishes while others have thick ones, I always wondered how thinis thin? and vice versa.. Maybe a couple of millimeters or something? can anyone shine some light on this?
Thick = yamaha pacifica

thin = Ibanez RG prestiges

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
The differences on most finishes no matter what they are is minimal.

I work on a lot of guitars and it all depends on the painter. Some have a heavy hand and spray layers heavier than others no matter what the finish is made from. You can find finishes that vary in thickness on the same guitar brands.

People are always saying how much better nitro is but IMO it bull. I had a Gibson LP refinished years ago with poly and it sounded no different and it looked 100 times better. When I sold it the guy who bought it from me thought it had a better tone than his Gibson LP. Nitro breaks down very fast I have looked at guitars just a few years old that were already deteriorating while guitars 20 to 30 years old finished in poly look as good as the day they were new.

John
A lot of woods get better with age. That's why the nitro finish is good for it. Nitro finishes aren't solid and they allow the wood to breathe and age normally. A poly finish is pretty much an airtight coffin. Your LP already aged with the nitro finish. Refinishing it with the poly finish doesn't reverse the effects of aging, it just stops it. That's the reason vintage guitars are worth so much. They already have a 20-40 year headstart on the process. But I'm a fan of poly finishes because discoloration and cracking aren't something I look forward to in a guitar. I also don't care how my guitars will sound 30 years from now. As long as they don't sound worse, I'm happy. I bought my guitars because of how they sound now, not how they'll sound in the future.