Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a pickup that can give my overall sound a tighter low end. I have a Jackson DK2M with a Seymour Duncan TB4 in the bridge as of now, but sometimes I feel like it's missing something. I like the tightness the EMG 81 produces and it just sounds fuller than the TB4, but I dislike the fact that it's active. I was looking at the Seymour Duncan Distortion for a while, but after reading a few reviews I don't think it's meant for me. Can anyone suggest a bridge pickup, preferrably passive, that meets my criteria? Thanks!
What amp are you using? The majority of your tone comes from your amp - if you're using a crappy amp then you should upgrade it first if you're unhappy with your tone.

Also, what type of music are you playing. We can't suggest anything if we don't know what its gonna be used for.
d-sonic
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by i_am_metalhead
What amp are you using? The majority of your tone comes from your amp - if you're using a crappy amp then you should upgrade it first if you're unhappy with your tone.

Also, what type of music are you playing. We can't suggest anything if we don't know what its gonna be used for.

I can't believe I forgot this. I tell people the same thing and I can't follow my own advice. I'm using a Line 6 Spider III 75 watt combo and I'm usually playing Hard Rock, Metal, Thrash, Death Metal, some Progressive Metal.

I'll take the opportunity to be a little more descriptive. Yesterday I tried my guitar out through a Line 6 Spider Valve Head with a matching cab and it sounded decent. I tried it out with a Schecter Hellraiser with the EQ set exactly the same way I had it with my guitar and the Hellraiser sounded crunchier and the bass was noticeably tighter.

get new amp
Ibanez XPT707 Xiphos
Schecter C-7 Loomis FR

Mesa Boogie Mark III blue dot Coliseum

Mesa Traditional 4x12 v30's x EVM 12l's

THE SEVEN STRING LEGION
Quote by Holy-Diver

get new amp

Ha! I definitely should. I've been eyeing the Engl Fireball for a while, but I think replacing the bridge pickup will be a nice addition as well. I'm not completely dissatisfied with the Spider; I can live with it for a little longer while I save up.
Well I personally don't think that a pickup swap with a Spider III is worth the money because the tone change will be minimal, but if you think a swap is justified then that's your opinion.

Also, don't just drop SD. You should call them up and tell them what kind of tone you're looking for and they will point you in the direction of a pickup that will suit your needs.

However, I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to pickups so I can't be much help to you.
Quote by metalonastrat
maybe the sh8 invader by sd?

Are you joking/trolling? That's literally THE muddiest, sludgiest high-output pickup Seymour Duncan makes. That will actually be WORSE for tightness than his current pickup, by a noticeably large amount.

TS, if you like Duncans, try the Full Shred. It's hot but articulate and clear. Check out DiMarzio Revolutions too. Also, if you have a few extra dollars, I can't recommend the Swineshead X-Bucker enough when it comes to tight low-end riffing. It's genius for that, and would be a better choice than the others I've mentioned if you can afford it.

Conversely, I completely agree with everyone else here suggesting an amp upgrade before you think about pickup upgrades. The Spider III is painfully bad sounding, and if you don't like it now, just wait until your ear develops further; why not sell the Spider, save the money you would have spent on a pickup, and move laterally, in a financial sense, to something else in your price range, like an SS Vox, Hughes and Kettner, Vypyr, Roland Cube, etc.?
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Well I personally don't think that a pickup swap with a Spider III is worth the money because the tone change will be minimal, but if you think a swap is justified then that's your opinion.

Also, don't just drop SD. You should call them up and tell them what kind of tone you're looking for and they will point you in the direction of a pickup that will suit your needs.

However, I'm not the most knowledgeable person when it comes to pickups so I can't be much help to you.

I too think there will be a minimal difference if I'd switch the pickup now, but I wanted to get an idea of the potential pickup replacements there are. I will definitely contact SD being that they are my pickup of choice (although I'm willing to try others).
Quote by lumberjack
Are you joking/trolling? That's literally THE muddiest, sludgiest high-output pickup Seymour Duncan makes. That will actually be WORSE for tightness than his current pickup, by a noticeably large amount.

TS, if you like Duncans, try the Full Shred. It's hot but articulate and clear. Check out DiMarzio Revolutions too. Also, if you have a few extra dollars, I can't recommend the Swineshead X-Bucker enough when it comes to tight low-end riffing. It's genius for that, and would be a better choice than the others I've mentioned if you can afford it.

Conversely, I completely agree with everyone else here suggesting an amp upgrade before you think about pickup upgrades. The Spider III is painfully bad sounding, and if you don't like it now, just wait until your ear develops further; why not sell the Spider, save the money you would have spent on a pickup, and move laterally, in a financial sense, to something else in your price range, like an SS Vox, Hughes and Kettner, Vypyr, Roland Cube, etc.?

Swineshead? Never heard of the brand, but thanks for suggesting. I'll definitely look into that. I've looked into other amps as well, plenty to be exact. I have an idea of an intermediate level amp I'd like to purchase already.
Have a listen to Iron Gear Hot Slag. Might not be quite as tight as you want but worth a listen. Tight with good definition is a Wilde 500XL but that might not be hot enough for you.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by punker_7970
Swineshead? Never heard of the brand, but thanks for suggesting. I'll definitely look into that. I've looked into other amps as well, plenty to be exact. I have an idea of an intermediate level amp I'd like to purchase already.

They're a small UK company that builds pickups by hand. Phenomenal stuff.
Quote by Holy-Diver
d-sonic

+1 and a lot - that thing is like a scalpel
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by punker_7970
Hey everyone,

I'm looking for a pickup that can give my overall sound a tighter low end. I have a Jackson DK2M with a Seymour Duncan TB4 in the bridge as of now, but sometimes I feel like it's missing something. I like the tightness the EMG 81 produces and it just sounds fuller than the TB4, but I dislike the fact that it's active. I was looking at the Seymour Duncan Distortion for a while, but after reading a few reviews I don't think it's meant for me. Can anyone suggest a bridge pickup, preferrably passive, that meets my criteria? Thanks!
I don't get it... if you like the sound of an EMG, then get an EMG.

But I would really try the guitar through a different amp first, and gauge any tone problems from there.
Alright everyone. Thanks for all the assistance. I'll take all these suggestions into deep consideration.