Hi, in my band, I (lead guitarist), bassist, and rhtynm guitarist sing backing vocals and we have a singer doing lead. But how do we get our vocals to sound really powerful, like on the track touch too much or like the rest of the Highway to Hell album. I know obviously AC/DC had Mutt Lange and he was great with vocals, but can someone gives us tips on how to sound like that.
Gibson SG Standard, Gibson SG 60s tribute, Edwards Les Paul, Fender Telecaster, Epiphone SG Custom
ive been trying to get the same thing and having asked my vocal instructor, it seems that adding a touch of reverb + delay to vocals is pretty standard and makes them sound good without sounding 'unnnatural'
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
Double (or more) tracking, reverb (if you can 'hear' the reverb, it's too much), etc. Remember when recording - you don't have to sing your lungs out into the mic. Sing a good and strong sound, and you can up the volume in the mix.
I don't know how AC/DC does it, but try to find a good harmony and make sure you are all matching each other and in pitch. one of you could sing lower than the lead while someone else sings higher than the lead, whatever. think of it like building a chord with your voices, someone matching an octave down, someone matching a 5th up, etc. just try singing at different pitches and see what sounds good.
First of all, you'll want to listen to each other sing one at a time and listen for things like small, inappropriate variances in dynamics. This is usually caused by inexperience with singing into a mic. You also have to make sure you maintain the same distance from the mic or it'll sound like your vocals are going in and out. Next, you'll want to sing together without the instruments to make sure your vocals are in tune and that they follow the same rhythm (assuming they are supposed to follow the same rhythm).

After you've looked at all this, then it's time to add the fancy stuff like delay and reverb. Use a small amount of delay to fatten up the vocals a little, then layer your reverbs. Use a very small amount of reverb for this first layer, then maybe a medium (should be a delay closer to the smaller reverb) and a longer reverb. Most of all, make sure your voices don't clash in the mix or it'll sound crowded and muddy.

Also, if you're having trouble keeping an even volume, try using a SMALL bit of compression, maybe something like 2:1 or 3:1.
His death, which happen'd in his berth,
At forty-odd befell:
They went and told the sexton, and
The sexton toll'd the bell
Last edited by Zilcho at Sep 11, 2009,
Record the vocals in the bathroom.

Also a lot of it obviously depends on how good the singer is in the first place.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by hardrockerdave9
Hi, in my band, I (lead guitarist), bassist, and rhtynm guitarist sing backing vocals and we have a singer doing lead. But how do we get our vocals to sound really powerful, like on the track touch too much or like the rest of the Highway to Hell album. I know obviously AC/DC had Mutt Lange and he was great with vocals, but can someone gives us tips on how to sound like that.

talent + Experience + expensive gear

just do the best you can. You're not going to make a recording as good as AC/DC... just accept that for now and learn from the experience.
shred is gaudy music