I have an Epiphone Les Paul that I want to use for Drop A playing. I spoke with the guitar tech over at guitar center and he wants to charge me about $60 for resizing the nut to fit the 12guage strings I have, and another $60 for a complete set-up of the guitar with those strings. Do those prices seem fair?
if you have the right tools and knowledge it's a 30 minute job. I'd probably pay him to do the nut and do the setup myself.
I personally think $120 is a lot of money for resizing/replacing a nut and some intonation/buzz work. Especially the latter is relatively easy on a Paul.

I know the guys at my local shop would charge €45 (which would be equal to about $60) for the entire job.

The nut is easy as pie if you have a small file. If need be buy a cheap one and practice a little.

Drop A is friggin' low though!
Quote by fainter
I have an Epiphone Les Paul that I want to use for Drop A playing. I spoke with the guitar tech over at guitar center and he wants to charge me about $60 for resizing the nut to fit the 12guage strings I have, and another $60 for a complete set-up of the guitar with those strings. Do those prices seem fair?
If a "complete set-up" means setting the bridge height and intonation, it's a rip-off.

But if it means leveling/crowning/polishing your frets, adjusting the relief, and setting the bridge height and intonation, it's worth every penny.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
60$ just to resize the slots is pretty steep. I made a nut from a blank for a guy and only charged 50$. You need to find a better shop than GC.
Check a nearby guitar shop. They might do labor for cheaper. Also, isn't 120 bucks a lot, especially considering the price of the guitar is only $300-$500?
There be no shelter here.
lol, do it yourself.

either that or buy a bc rich with a wrap-around, mine is in A, very little buzz, sounds good.

thats with .013-.056 strings on there.

its as easy as a restring/set-up.
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
also, it might not be in you're best interest to use this guitar for lower tunings, I don;t use anything under 25.5" for below Db. It gets very buzzy with an epi's scale length.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009
Quote by Shinozoku
You have a walnut stop sign banjo-tar signed by MAB

˙ןooɔ sı uosɐǝɹ ןɐǝɹ ou ɥʇıʍ ƃıs ɹnoʎ uı ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ƃuıʇʇnd
Quote by Scowmoo
You deserve an Awesome Award for Awesome People.
Seriously.

Stop Sign Guitar? HELL YES!
everyone here is right...
just get a small file... use a pencil to mark what you need to dig out, get a screwdriver (assuming your TOM is like mine) and a pack of strinks all together 20-40 minutes, about 20 bucks in tools
and experience you can't pay for
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
That is a complete rip off. PLEASE do this yourself, you could get a nice pedal for what he's charging, and it's only about 30 minutes of work. If you've never adjusted action or the truss rod or whatever, this would be a good learning experience for you. Just file your nut until the strings fit it better, pretty straightforward. Here's a good resource for setting up your guitar. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241
Bari Build

_\_\ll/_/_
__\ _ /__
___ \/ ___

thanks guys for all your help, everything made alot of sense. I've been playing for a little less than a year now and I have done complete standard tuning, action, intonation, clean up and everything on my other guitar.

Reason I wanted to take it to a Tech to get this done is that I tried to do it myself previously and messed up. I used a dremal on the nut and messed up the slits, I realized after I put it back on that also the new nut was sitting pretty low causing a lot of fret buzz. Raising the bridge higher to stop that, made my action at the bottom of the neck ridiculous. If I decide to use this guitar for my tuning that I will take my time and listen to your suggestions on fixing the nut the correct way.

One guy that replied in here mentioned to me about using a B.C Rich w/ a wraparound for tuning that low. I am capable of getting a Warlock from a buddy of mine for fairly cheap that just needs some minor work.(missing volume knobs, bridge, strings) Do you think I would be better off using that for a Drop A setup?