As the title states, I said that if she does good in school from now until xmas santa might bring her a guitar. Has to be electric just like Dad, and I figure that it would a good father/daughter bonding thing.

She is 6 years old, normal/typical size, I really don't want to drop a lot of coin and I think that she would need a 3/4 or mini guitar. She can barley hold my Ibanez RG

Any ideas?

Thanks Nick F
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2198.html

But honestly, I would suggest getting her a full size, because you will easily outgrow a min-guitar.

EDIT: http://www.rondomusic.com/sst5734.html

It's a bit more, but it also has 3 p'ups and full knobs, so I would choose that.

Also, put on thicker strings, because the smaller scale will have really low tension.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Last edited by TheBigProjekt at Sep 10, 2009,
haha, Im in the same situation. I think Im gonna get my daughter one of those mikro's.
A bunch of RG's
]Ibanez RG2550Z
1990 Ibanez rg550
ZW Buzzsaw
Ibanez: s470
Jackson: RR Flying V
Charvel: 90's model sunburst
Jackson Stealth
Mesa Boogie Solo 50
Sunn cab
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Mini-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510421

3/4 size Squire Stratocaster, they have one in hello kitty, but you don't want that, man.

If you don't like that, pretty much anything on this page will be the same thing, in different shapes. She can use your amp, no?
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I stick stuff in my pee hole.

Gear:

Schecter C-1 Classic
Ibanez S670PB
Stratocaster MIM Standard
Marshall MG30 (its purple )
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
ibanez mikro
stagg also do a cheap strat copy same size as the mikro and in colours a 6 yo girl would like.
+1 to the getting a normal sized guitar, it could be better for her in the long run.

Also +1 to any guitar from rondo music, great guitars for the price.
I don't believe in signatures. Ah, sh...
Quote by TheBigProjekt
...is still 24 3/4 scale...

It IS for a little girl.
And after she outgrows it, she can
A. Put it on the wall ( it's decoration AND milestone in her life)
B. Sell for cash towards a big girl guitar.
You stole my heart!
You ran away!
Now I'm heartless!
So fuck you anyway!
Quote by baNG1989
It IS for a little girl.
And after she outgrows it, she can
A. Put it on the wall ( it's decoration AND milestone in her life)
B. Sell for cash towards a big girl guitar.

24 3/4 scale = regular gibson/epi/22fret scale.

3/4 scale = mini guitar

He wanted a 3/4 scale, not regular scale.

TS: make your kid learn i cum blood and record it :P
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

Quote by Wulphy
http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Mini-Strat-Electric-Guitar?sku=510421

3/4 size Squire Stratocaster, they have one in hello kitty, but you don't want that, man.

If you don't like that, pretty much anything on this page will be the same thing, in different shapes. She can use your amp, no?

Something along the lines of what he's suggesting. No one else seems to be taking this seriously... 6 year old girl and a Dean explorer?
Schecter C-1 Classic Raven RG20 + Digitech RP50

Man, I could go for a 7 right now...
All I can say is you are so lucky. My 6YO dau wants DRUMS!!!!
Hey, maybe a band?
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Here's my scheme to get a guitar for my soon to be 8 year old son.

Assumptions:
First, you never know if he's going to take to it or not, so I don't want to buy anything too expensive or too ridiculous looking (in case I need to take it over). Second, it can't be too heavy. Third, kids have smaller hands and shorter arms, so the 3/4 guitars are an idea, but I hate buying things that are definitely temporary.

The Plan:
I'll need to take him with me to look at options and get his input - but not ceding the full decision to him. In other words, I'm probably going to steer him towards something that I wouldn't mind having myself. Maybe pick up a light shred guitar with a small neck (Ibanez S320?)

To avoid the short arm challenge, I'm thinking about putting a capo on the 12th fret so he can work on basics, albeit an octave higher.

It may just end up being an elaborate ruse to get myself an extra guitar, but it could just net me a rythym guitarist in the process.
Quote by TheBigProjekt
24 3/4 scale = regular gibson/epi/22fret scale.

3/4 scale = mini guitar

He wanted a 3/4 scale, not regular scale.

TS: make your kid learn i cum blood and record it :P

it`s a 6yo kid we`re talking about you perv
Quote by britishsligean
if she like your rg then get her a micro grg

+1

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/electric_guitar/new_guitar_models_from_ibanez/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by TheBigProjekt
http://www.rondomusic.com/product2198.html

But honestly, I would suggest getting her a full size, because you will easily outgrow a min-guitar.

It's not that small, it's the same scale as a Mustang or Jaguar(24").

It's bigger then most 'mini' guitars which tend to be around 22.5".
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Last edited by STABxYOU at Sep 10, 2009,
WOW, thanks all, that was quick you all are great.

I think TheBigProjeck has hit the nail on the head here. That pink (or white) strat knock off would be perfect for her. I know she would luv the pink one but the white seems to be a better deal.

I would luv to get her a full size but there is now way she would be able to hold it more than 10 minutes and she would never be able to fret anything above the 5th fret, she would never reach.

Now all I need to do is get better so I can teach her, I have a feeling that she will surpass me VERY quickly (depending on how much she practices). I have only been playing for three months, but I know I can teach her the proper basics, scales, chords, bar chords, etc......

Thanks all
the 3/4 scale Kirk Hammet guitar. Or a 3/4 scale RG.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
Quote by nickf
WOW, thanks all, that was quick you all are great.

I think TheBigProjeck has hit the nail on the head here. That pink (or white) strat knock off would be perfect for her. I know she would luv the pink one but the white seems to be a better deal.

I would luv to get her a full size but there is now way she would be able to hold it more than 10 minutes and she would never be able to fret anything above the 5th fret, she would never reach.

Now all I need to do is get better so I can teach her, I have a feeling that she will surpass me VERY quickly (depending on how much she practices). I have only been playing for three months, but I know I can teach her the proper basics, scales, chords, bar chords, etc......

Thanks all

If her not being able to fret a full sized guitar is a problem, use a capo. Also, if you teach her those basics, she'll get bored. Teach her a song she likes, even if its a theme song. Once she can play a song she likes, she'll be more interested in learning the basics. That goes for anyone who is new to playing guitar that you're teaching. You won't get anywhere by telling them "This is how you play this chord and this chord and this scale." You teach them a song first. If the song in particular uses chords, that's a bonus for you because you can teach them those chords then construct it into a song they know that uses it.

Also, I wouldn't suggest barre chords just yet. Her hands might not even because to stretch like that yet.
If you can, try not to get a teacher for her and teach her yourself. It could be really good for bonding.

There are some threads in Musicians Talk about teaching children.

Quote by Nalakram
Here's my scheme to get a guitar for my soon to be 8 year old son.

Assumptions:
First, you never know if he's going to take to it or not, so I don't want to buy anything too expensive or too ridiculous looking (in case I need to take it over). Second, it can't be too heavy. Third, kids have smaller hands and shorter arms, so the 3/4 guitars are an idea, but I hate buying things that are definitely temporary.

The Plan:
I'll need to take him with me to look at options and get his input - but not ceding the full decision to him. In other words, I'm probably going to steer him towards something that I wouldn't mind having myself. Maybe pick up a light shred guitar with a small neck (Ibanez S320?)

To avoid the short arm challenge, I'm thinking about putting a capo on the 12th fret so he can work on basics, albeit an octave higher.

It may just end up being an elaborate ruse to get myself an extra guitar, but it could just net me a rythym guitarist in the process.

You are a very wise man.
Quote by TheBigProjekt

Not if you want to play Holdsworth type stuff in the long run
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
Could this be anything?

http://www.thomann.de/se/harley_benton_ms_jr.htm

There is a pack offer there somewhere where you get an amp and some picks with it.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.