i am just starting to learn how to play the guitar. i have recently purchased a "Drop D" capo, and i am playing by tabs. most of the tabs that are in drop d tell you to tune your guitar to drop d. i was wondering, how do i read a tab that is like this, while using a Drop D capo? for example, the tab is telling me 4th string 2 fret, but the capo is on the 2nd fret, do i count down 2 frets from the capo, and play it the same, or does it not transcribe?

i appreciate any help i can get off this thread.
take the capo off then tune your low e string down to d
Carry on
Don't use a drop D capo, it's a useless gimmick. If you can't tune your guitar to drop D, you should learn how to. Most people can do it in a couple seconds. It's the easiest alternate tuning to put your guitar into.
thank you, but i would really like to know how to play with the capo, b/c i don't have the time to learn new tunings right now...deployed...any suggestions?
Quote by jamesjones81
thank you, but i would really like to know how to play with the capo, b/c i don't have the time to learn new tunings right now...deployed...any suggestions?

It's just drop D. There's nothing to learn. You match the low E string to the D string. Then when you want it back in standard you match it to the high E string.

And if you're strapped for time UG is not a good place to be, trust me.
I'm afraid everyone's right about tuning to drop D instead of using that capo. It's very simple and fast to do. From standard tuning, EADGBE, all you need to do is lower the pitch of the open low E string until it matches the open D string. Your tabs will then remain correct. To go back to standard simply fret the detuned low E string at the 5th fret and bring it back up in pitch until it matches the open A string. Piece of cake.

By the way, that capo can't get you to drop D since capo's can only raise the pitch of the strings. Drop D is DADGBE, but if you put that capo on from standard tuning you'd get ECFA#DG. See the flaw here? To be in tune with a song in drop D you'd still need to retune.
Last edited by LeftyDave at Sep 10, 2009,