Hey guys, I'm hoping you could help me out. My iPod finally crapped out on me (this is my 4th one over the years), so I'm looking for a new non-iPod portable music player.

However, I was hoping to find one that could play FLAC, WAV, and other lossless files, since the iPod cannot without major modification.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!
You have made the right choice not choosing an iPod this time round, well done
Aren't your only options iPod, Zune, and Way Too Expensive?

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Quote by phlip999

I thought you would have preferred Philip's MP3 players
I don't mind Way Too Expensive, as long as it sounds good. My vinyl playback system costs a good $3000+.

Philip, that looks so modern and perfect! I bet it costs a ton though
That Zen thing looks really cool, a couple of my friends have had it.

I SUGGEST
The playground of the world
I've got a little music player from Sansa when they were doing a trial of their Slot Music product. It's a Micro SD reader and before the trial ended (they sold it at Wal Mart for a short time) you could buy SD cards with albums on them (they were 1GB cards so you also get the leftover memory with which you can add more music to the card).

The thing I like best is that this card reader reads every audio file currently in existence. It was only 30 dollars, but I would have paid more if it had a screen I'd also pay more for one that doesn't use AAA batteries.
Last edited by dudius at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Double post for the lose, but this Creative ZEN X-Fi2 seems very promising. Thanks so much, I had never heard of it before!

I have it. It sounds great, compared to iPods, which in my experience tend to distort quite a bit.

The problem is the software that it comes bundled with is absolutely awful. I have most of my music collection on CD's, and had to upload all of it. The software didn't rip half my discs, it just said "Error", and the ones that it did rip have tracks that skip.

I will say that the iPod's rotary scrolling thing is more comfortable for scrolling through long lists, but the Zen's buttons are alright too.

The problems with it are that the software is absolute shit, and it costs a lot for a whole bunch of features no-one will ever use.
Quote by sashki

The problems with it are that the software is absolute shit, and it costs a lot for a whole bunch of features no-one will ever use.

Surely you can get a plug-in to work it with other software, like iPod has.

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

I would recommend a Cowon D2+, but the Zen X-fi 2 has just come out, which has exactly the same features but is more readily available.
A metal band?
Gear:
A Guitar with an LFR > Korg Pitchblack > Behringer EQ > Hardwire CM-2 Overdrive Boss SD-1 > Hardwire CR-7 Chorus>
Orange Tiny Terror >
LzR Engineering 212 cab

My other amp can run Crysis
Quote by SteveHouse
Surely you can get a plug-in to work it with other software, like iPod has.

I tried using MediaMonkey, but that was too much of a hassle.

I was hoping I'd only have to upload my CD's once and then not mess with it.
Yes, I use a Squier bass.

Quote by ccam555
0/10.

- Looking to improve this somewhat.
Apparently, the ZEN doesn't work with Macs either

And yes, you are completely correct in that iPods distort. Badly. And I have some pretty good headphones, which amplify this even more. It's gotten to the point where I only use my iPod for when I'm driving.

Damn, why are there no good players for macs?
The HiFiMan HM-801 is the absolute best, but you won't be able to afford it.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/hifiman-hm-801-portable-player-dac-review-part-one-two-424091/

Go with a HiSound Audio AMP3 Pro2.
http://www.whiplashaudio.com/ipod-accessories/amp3-mp3-player-with-built-in-amp.html

If you want something with more features, Sony Walkman X Series. Once again very expensive, though.

The Sansa Clip+ will play those files as well. Won't sound as good as the others, though (though still not bad at all!)
Last edited by i_don't_know at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Apparently, the ZEN doesn't work with Macs either

And yes, you are completely correct in that iPods distort. Badly. And I have some pretty good headphones, which amplify this even more. It's gotten to the point where I only use my iPod for when I'm driving.

Damn, why are there no good players for macs?

Because Apple has the iPod which monopolises the market
Quote by sashki
Because Apple has the iPod which monopolises the market

Yes...and no. I'm pretty sure there's something else that will work with Mac, it's just not as good as Ipod, which isn't necessarily the best product out there.
Quote by FischmungaXTR
I would recommend a Cowon D2+, but the Zen X-fi 2 has just come out, which has exactly the same features but is more readily available.

Hey, I was looking in to the Cowon. Does it have gapless playback?
Quote by Mr. Jiggy Fly
Hey, I was looking in to the Cowon. Does it have gapless playback?

No, but I think it's Rockbox compatible, which would make it gapless.
I have a Zune. I used to own an iPod. I'll try and give you a little run down on the two... as unbiased as possible.

I got used to the Zune's interface quite quickly, and I really like it. I like it quite a bit more than the iPods actually. The Zune has a pretty big screen on it, which I like. It's also scratch resistant, which is a huge plus. That was one thing that I didn't like about the iPod.

The Zune supports basically all .wma files, from the lowest quality constant bitrate to lossless audio files, and mp3 files. The iPod will support according to Apple's website,"Audio formats supported: AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3, 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX, and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF, and WAV." Neither the Zune or iPod will support FLAC without having to do some things that will probably void your warranty.

The Zune's software leaves much to be desired. It can be pretty confusing at first actually. I must say, I prefer iTunes much, much more over the Zune software. I really miss quite a bit about iTunes such as... Top 25 played playlists, recently added, etc. One thing I do really like about the Zune's software is being able to take any Zune, plug into the computer, and copy all the music from that player onto your Zune software. That was one thing I really wished iTunes would do.

No matter which media player you choose, you'll be happy. They're both very good players, and both produce some pretty decent sound quality.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.