When i do alternate picking, my pick tends to flop back and forth, usually on the downstrokes. its actually more of a ricocheting off the strings as i pick. what should i do in order to stop this?
Don't pick as hard (lightly cross the strings) and don't dig into the strings when you pick.

Master this and a lot of things will become easier and cleaner.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
Fate is your deciding God
Quote by DragTheWaters11
Don't pick as hard (lightly cross the strings) and don't dig into the strings when you pick.

Master this and a lot of things will become easier and cleaner.

Take what he said...and completely ignore it. You need to have a firm grip on your pick, and you want to make sure your pick attack has a good amount of volume to it. If you play with a clean tone, your attack is going to sound really crappy if you just lightly "brush" the strings instead giving them a good, confident pick. Having said that, you don't want to use too much of your pick. Make sure your only picking with the tip of your pick.
And make sure you angle it a bit.
Quote by WalkinDude91
Take what he said...and completely ignore it. You need to have a firm grip on your pick, and you want to make sure your pick attack has a good amount of volume to it. If you play with a clean tone, your attack is going to sound really crappy if you just lightly "brush" the strings instead giving them a good, confident pick. Having said that, you don't want to use too much of your pick. Make sure your only picking with the tip of your pick.
And make sure you angle it a bit.

Right.

I worded my post wrong, I will admit. But the point I was trying to make was that he was picking too hard and that's why his pick was flying into the next string.
For the creator of hallowed intentions
Fate is your deciding God