So I'm seriously considering getting a Peavey valveking soon as an amp to gig with, as all i have now is a spider III. I dislike my spider and i'm looking for good tone and i've heard good things about the vk. But what i'm really wondering is, is it really worth it to get a 100 watt combo vs a 50 watt one? I've read that there isn't much difference at all in actual loudness and there's a relatively large price difference (about $200, which is a lot to a 16 year old like me) so would it be worth it to settle for a 50 watt or save for a 100 watt?
Settle for the 50w, I doubt you'd ever need 100w anytime soon
Depends on if you will be mic'd or not. The VK will project LOUD at 50 or 100 watts, but the 212 will give you less speaker breakup and will sound better un-mic'd. Either way, you're gonna need speaker and tube changes from the get go.
GAS LIST

Z.Vex SHO
AnalogMan Stereo Chorus
Barber Tone Press
Way Huge Supa Puss
You'll save even more if you get the Valveking used, which is a good thing in the long run. Visi the Valveking thread for more information...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Alright thanks guys. I won't be using it for too much clean, by the way. Would a bunch of speaker breakup really affect a heavier overdriven tone?
Oh, and i play a lot of heavier stuff like A Day To Remember, Soad, ect.
Last edited by Siangkam at Sep 10, 2009,
I'd look elsewhere than the VK, unless you're interested in performing a few upgrades.

A Bugera 333 or 6262 sounds ideal for those genres.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
well i'm not too interested in performing upgrades. I haven't really heard very much about Bugera though. Anything i should know? I'm interested in getting a heavy tube-driven tone