First of all, I know there have been threads like this before but they're really old.

So I have been wanting to start teaching guitar and I have a few questions.

Should I go to them or should they come to me?
How much should I charge? I was thinking 15 bucks an hour.
How long should the lessons be and how many/frequency of them.
Should I use my acoustic or electric? Or use what the pupil uses?
Should there be an equal amount of tabs and sheet music?
How much theory should I teach?

Its alot of questions but I would be very thankful if you guys answered them
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
Start with just giving them a free first lesson, then maybe start charging. It's really tough.
You might want to go to the Musician Talk forum, they're alot more serious over there I think. 15 bucks an hour is cheaper than what I have to pay for half an hour. I think it'll be easier on the pupil if he's never had any experience with guitars if you use what he uses.
"When words fail, music speaks"

Gamertag - Acoustickk

Call me Vincent
Teaching is VERY hard and takes much patience. Good luck.

Is it just friends who are asking you or are you going to put of flyers for "Guitar lessons" and whatnot?
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Should I go to them or should they come to me? They go to you.
How much should I charge? I was thinking 15 bucks an hour. First free then charge.
How long should the lessons be and how many/frequency of them. 1/2 hour once a week.
Should I use my acoustic or electric? Or use what the pupil uses? Use what they use.
Should there be an equal amount of tabs and sheet music? Yes.
How much theory should I teach? Depends on how serious the student is.
Please excuse my godawful username. I was thirteen.
If you can't decide any of that I don't know if you should be teaching to be honest.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.

Sheet music should be taught more. It's like the universal method of reading music.
I was also thinking about this, and my friends told me....

Should I go to them or should they come to me? Depends where they live, but most of the time, let them come to you
How much should I charge? I was thinking 15 bucks an hour. $15 is reasonable
How long should the lessons be and how many/frequency of them. 30 mins - 1 hr, once or twice a week, more if they're really dedicated
Should I use my acoustic or electric? Or use what the pupil uses? Both.
Should there be an equal amount of tabs and sheet music? Give them the lessons in guitar pro, with both the score and tabs, but make sure they know notes and such.
How much theory should I teach? Classical guitar = alot, everything else, touch on it, but don't go into extremely deep detail, unless they ask.

Honestly, just go off of the student, if they like theory, give them it, if they want tabs, give them that.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

you teach them what they want. if all they want to do is learn songs from tabs, teach them that. if they want to learn theory and improv then teach them that. they're paying you, therefore they get to choose what to learn and what not to. your first lesson with every student should begin with you asking his/her their musical goals. what they wish to achieve with the guitar.

$15 an hour is EXTREMELY reasonable. you may want to charge closer to $15 per 30 minute lesson. it all depends on how well you teach, you should charge what you believe your worth (if that makes sense).

the lesson length and frequency should be up to the student. i'd offer 1 or 2 day a week schedules, and either 30 minute or 1 hour lessons.
about the price/time questions, charging 15bucks/hour is ok. about what kind of guitar, it depends on what your student uses, considering you tell them to start out with what they want, and not just an acoustic because "he/she it's starting" you know what i mean. about theory, just basic like intervals and how to read a music sheet.
You will find much better advice in the "musicians talk" forum.

Should I go to them or should they come to me?
-If you have a place of business to teach at the them coming to you would be easy on you. But if you don't, then both.

How much should I charge? I was thinking 15 bucks an hour.
-Depends on the quality of your lessons.

How long should the lessons be and how many/frequency of them.
-depends on the level of playing the customer is at imo. Beginners, 30/45 minutes.

Should I use my acoustic or electric? Or use what the pupil uses?
-Use what they use.

-People learn for different reasons. Some just want to jam with their friends, others have high ambitions for music. The customers with the high ambitions will probably want to learn sheet music.

How much theory should I teach?
-As much as you can without boring or overloading them. People who have a beginners and up grasp of theory probably wont mind more in depth time spent with theory. But for a brand spanken new guitarist, keep it mild.

Theres lots of ways to incorporate theory into lessons without making the customer feel like its being forced on them.

I think the most important thing to work for is noticing what excites each individual student. You most likely should modify your lessons for each person.

P.S.... I am in noway qualified to teach or to say how a teacher should go about giving their lessons. These are just my opinion.

P.S.S... Becoming a teach is about a lot more than just knowing how to play the instrument. There are a lot of great guitarist out there that can still teach bad habits and go about things the wrong way. Just make sure your not that person who thinks "well im good at guitar, that means i can teach it". Theres nothing worst than paying someone for improper lessons.
epic7734
Last edited by epic7734 at Sep 10, 2009,