I've been learning guitar for about 2 months on my Squier electric at home. When I take lessons my teacher picked an acoustic from his store for me. And recently, I discovered that my friend has a classical guitar. It's an Espana (don't know what model). So I borrowed it, took it to my teacher who replaced its strings. He told me that I was supposed to start on a classical, and now that I have it, I should do the bulk of my practicing on the classical.

So basically I'd be practicing with 3 different kinds at the same time. The classical with nylon strings are very easy on the fingers, but I find the tone a bit dull. The fretboard is really wide so it kind of messed up my finger "memory" with the smaller fretboard of the acoustic and electric.

Is it really a good idea to mix up my practice routine or should I stick to either classical or electric at home?
Well, honestly, a lot of great guitar players started out learning classical on those kinds of guitars. Basing my opinion off that, I think you should practice your routine and stuff on the acousitc / Espana, and do Electric during your leisure time.
There will be zero tolerance
For the creator of hallowed intentions
There will be zero tolerance
Fate is your deciding God
dude LISTEN to your teacher, try to learn flamenco/spanish stuff on the nylon guitar...its beautiful and different. i know alot of people say not to learn guitar to impress girls but if you bust out some romantic flamenco licks/songs omg hahahaha trust me cause i love flamenco guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Up5qSOBF9Z8
this song is pretty easy and you see how beautiful it sounds
i LOVE taylor swift...oyes in a creepy way
o and please learn MUSIC and how music works aka music theory, not just tabs because you wont know why what your playing sounds the way your playing
Last edited by mechanix901 at Sep 10, 2009,
well if he is studying classical with a teacher there wont be any TABS Im sure
I have never met a decent instructor who uses TABS.
Thanks. I will spend more time on the classical.

Oh BTW I'm not actually learning how to play classical. I've been doing just the regular stuff like scales and especially chords. I was just advised to PRACTICE more on the classical, not actually playing classical style.

And who mentioned anything about tabs? The first day I met my teacher he told me "with me you'll learn the music. Learn how to read and how to play, not just learn tabs. I don't like tabs"
Last edited by lildre at Sep 10, 2009,
thank god, it was me telling you to learn MORE than tabs, idk how old you but you could very well get into playing a school knowing music well. and if you can read music you can play just about every instument that uses that system, im not saying your skill will be good at it but youll know what to play
Quote by Damius
well if he is studying classical with a teacher there wont be any TABS Im sure
I have never met a decent instructor who uses TABS.

I have actually, but as far as I can remember it was only used for learning Summer Song from Satriani. At the moment I'm playing both electric guitar in a band which can be considered metal I guess, and I'm playing Flamenco by myself. As of late I've been working on Jazz as well, it's doable to work on all of this together but progress is very slow as there are so many different techniques.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by lildre
Thanks. I will spend more time on the classical.

Oh BTW I'm not actually learning how to play classical. I've been doing just the regular stuff like scales and especially chords. I was just advised to PRACTICE more on the classical, not actually playing classical style.

This is good advice really; I find everything to be much hard on nylon strings because the strings have so much more give in them, you have to be very careful with your picking and you also have to have a good amount of fret hand strength.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.