What are some classic prog rock bands like Yes, Genesis, and Pink Floyd? I'll go as far as to include King Crimson, some ELP, and some Rush, but I'm looking for more prog bands with great organic sounds, keyboards especially, and i'm a bigger fan of classical influence rather than Jazz/Fusion/etc... Any help? Most prog here is heavy and/or modern

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
For newer bands that use that sound try Beardfish, The Flower Kings, Kaipa and Transatlantic.
Why not listen to my songs on my profile?
Quote by LucasGtrGod
Camel

Van Der Graaf Generator

Caravan

this is the truth. also check out eloy
Barclay James Harvest.
I suppose Marillion just qualify for 70's
Curved Air
Jethro Tull (sometimes prog sometimes folk-rock)
Gentle Giant
The Strawbs
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
Barclay James Harvest.
I suppose Marillion just qualify for 70's
Curved Air
Jethro Tull (sometimes prog sometimes folk-rock)
Gentle Giant
The Strawbs

Nope, they're part of the so called "neo" progressive rock of the 80's, not in the same cathegory of the other bands at all...

Gentle Giant, oh yes, awesome musicianship
Presto Ballet, great progressive rock band with modern sound based on the seventies music.
Um... seriosly... If the thaught haven't crossed your mind before you shuld check out Deep Purple... I know they are not "prog prog", but they still seemed to exploring that style of rock too... And well... Jon Lord is the best ****ing organist in the world IMO.
If my songs become my freedom
And my freedom turns to gold
Then I'll ask the final question
If the answer could be sold
Find a user named Progbass. Trust me, ask him through PM. He would probably know, since he's been listening for many a year. Knows his shit about it too.
Quote by Rikki DeMartini
Dixie Dregs are awesome, not sure if they'd be purely prog though.

hell yea on the dregs. they are AMAZING. steve morse is the man.
Quote by Nauticus
Um... seriosly... If the thaught haven't crossed your mind before you shuld check out Deep Purple... I know they are not "prog prog", but they still seemed to exploring that style of rock too... And well... Jon Lord is the best ****ing organist in the world IMO.

Well there's definitely ONE Deep Purple album where they venture into prog territory. It's the self-titeld album released in '69 featuring the Mark I line-up of Paice/Blackmore/Lord with Nick Simper on bass and Rod Evans on vox. Very cool album.

Back on topic - the Soft Machine ftw.

Also, I heard of this guitar player, Francis Monkman - he formed the prog rock unit Curved Air in the 70s. Anyone heard him or the band?
Quote by lobster624
hell yea on the dregs. they are AMAZING. steve morse is the man.

They're great, Steve Morse is great and I think they play fusion actually...
If my songs become my freedom
And my freedom turns to gold
Then I'll ask the final question
If the answer could be sold
I'm only really familiar with Frank Zappa & Pink Floyd to be honest. Can anybody give me some recommendations?
RUSH, i cant belive nobody said Rush! There the Grandfathers of progressive metal!