I've been gassing for a backup bass, or something to complement my other bass (which is a Fender Deluxe Active Jazz 4 string), checking out a ton of options. There's too much nice stuff out there.

However, there's a guy in town that makes guitars and basses, his stuff looks pretty nice, and I was thinking maybe I should look into getting something made. It might be out of my price range, but how cool would it be to have a bass that's made just for you? Pretty awesome I think. Problem is that I only have a general idea of what I want.

My general idea is
Passive pickup(s), Probably a jazz neck, but a more precision type of sound and body,

weight isn't a huge issue, I'm flexible there, as long as it isn't more then like 12 lb or something

In terms of the type of wood, I just don't know enough to know what's best for the sound I'm looking, same goes for pick-ups, bridge (Badass 2?), tuners, pots etc.

In terms of comparables I've been looking to a Schecter Model T, and various P-basses like a 1950s Fender Precision.

and just to clarify, I'm looking for a workingman's P-Bass, not something that is Super high end or anything. It must have a really good pickups, but the emphasis is on the sound and being economical.

So what should I be asking for in terms of specifications and parts?
part of the P-sound is that neck, very thick. you may want something that will make up for that thickness, bubinga maybe? I always thought a bubinga P-bass would probably sound pretty sexy.

what sound do you want though? something more like Tommy Shannon, or something like Mark Hoppus?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
part of the P-sound is that neck, very thick. you may want something that will make up for that thickness, bubinga maybe? I always thought a bubinga P-bass would probably sound pretty sexy.

what sound do you want though? something more like Tommy Shannon, or something like Mark Hoppus?

You make a good point about the neck. I'd have to try it out, but I would probably be fine with a thicker neck.

The bass tone that I'd be looking for would be Robert Deleo, a motown type of sound, and the Nick Harmer tone off of Death Cab for Cutie. Harmer is probably my ideal bass sound, especially on "I will possess your heart"
As far as wood goes you cant go wrong with alder for the body and rosewood and/or maple for the neck, especially going for a fender-esq sound.

Pickups, look at Seymour-Duncan. I'm not sure what exactly you want but I'm a big fan of thier pickups wether it be there modern/hot Quarter-pounders or they're old school sounding Vintage stuff. Chances are your gunna find something from them to fit the bill.

And just a warning - you said you didn't want anything super high end, but going the custom route it would't surprise me for him to give you a price of $1500+.
hmm

then you'll be surprised to learn that I Will Possess Your Heart was recorded with an Epiphone Jack Casady, with a pick.

I would imagine you would be fine with a thin neck, and maybe even some chambering in the body. maybe a thicker bubinga top, an ash or maple body? I'm imagining you want a maple neck.

just pick something pretty and really hard for the fretboard, it will barely touch your tone. ebony, bocote, wenge, and maple are all fine choices.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
hmm

then you'll be surprised to learn that I Will Possess Your Heart was recorded with an Epiphone Jack Casady, with a pick.

I would imagine you would be fine with a thin neck, and maybe even some chambering in the body. maybe a thicker bubinga top, an ash or maple body? I'm imagining you want a maple neck.

just pick something pretty and really hard for the fretboard, it will barely touch your tone. ebony, bocote, wenge, and maple are all fine choices.

I thought that Harmer played a Lakland Bob Glaub or something like that. Jack Casady is a great bass though, and quite unique for mass produced instrument.

Thanks for the advice as well, this is all helpful.
Quote by The Jerk
I thought that Harmer played a Lakland Bob Glaub or something like that. Jack Casady is a great bass though, and quite unique for mass produced instrument.

Thanks for the advice as well, this is all helpful.

he does live, for that exact sound in studio, he used one of his backups, a Jack Casady.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard