6661EDIT Re-doing my post, so as to not make a new thread.

I got an extension on my song selection.

The way this works is, I have to submit five songs of varying genres that I will vow to practice my ass off, and then perform them in front of the class at a later date.

Now, this is what I have so far:

Cliffs Of Dover (because it's so much fun)
A fingerpicking rendition of Greensleeves (recognizable and awesome)
Maybe a blues improb, or something by SRV
Another classical piece
A jazz piece

Now obviously, I can't hand that in, I'm missing two songs

But the thing is, I don't listen to those genres. The only jazz that comes to my mind is Giant Steps, and the only classical I really ever listen to is Classico by Tenacious D so I need help.

I need sweet suggestions.
has a terrible signature.
Last edited by Austyn6661 at Sep 13, 2009,
Methinks you should have prepared this more in advance. Not a lot of songs that show you have a reportoire 'spanning a diverse ranges of genres [you] can play' can be learned in one night, let alone 4 at a time. If you're really a metalhead, jazz is out of the question, you won't be able to learn the chords in one night, especially if you want to play at speed. Blues wouldn't be hard, but I'm not an expert in that area, so I don't have many to suggest. Maybe some SRV, Texas Flood or Pride and Joy? They're recognizable and you can probably play them. Classical... Maybe a nice arrangement of Greensleeves, but that requires some good fingerpicking as does most classical.

EDIT: I'm assuming you can just make your fifth piece metal. For a piece instead of jazz, try learning a funk song.
Last edited by timeconsumer09 at Sep 10, 2009,
how exactly are you expected to present this?
Do you have to perform tomorow?
Read the edit guys xD

And the teacher (and this program) don't really consider anything past 1950's era music challenging. I might be able to get away with Satriani or Vai, but I doubt I could play it, so yeah.

EDIT: Worded my post wrong, don't rip at me for this
Last edited by Austyn6661 at Sep 13, 2009,
Okay guys, edited the main post. I need new help. PLEASE
Play any jazz standard you like (Blue Monk or All Blues are good examples).
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
Quote by Pepefloydean
Play any jazz standard you like (Blue Monk or All Blues are good examples).

That's the only problem, I don't KNOW any jazz standards

I'll look those two up though, thanks

Any help on my classical piece?
Quote by Austyn6661
And the teacher (and this program) don't really consider anything past 1950's era music challenging.
That's fucking ridiculous. The skipping lick at the beginning of Cliffs of Dover is remarkably difficult, nevermind Yngwie, Vai, Satch, Friedman, Becker, etc. Anyone who knows music will recognize that playing 50 notes in three seconds takes considerable skill. Has anyone outright told you that music made after World War Two is not acceptable for the project?

BTW, if you can play Cliffs of Dover, with considerable practice - but nothing unreasonable - you can play Satch and Vai. If the crazies in IB are the jazz asshats they seem to be, they'll love improvised solos, too. (I know nothing about the IB program and tried to stay as far away from it as possible when I was in high school. Do what your instructor says, not what I say is reasonable. You can post here and we can joke about the stupids, though.)
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's fucking ridiculous. The skipping lick at the beginning of Cliffs of Dover is remarkably difficult, nevermind Yngwie, Vai, Satch, Friedman, Becker, etc. Anyone who knows music will recognize that playing 50 notes in three seconds takes considerable skill. Has anyone outright told you that music made after World War Two is not acceptable for the project?

BTW, if you can play Cliffs of Dover, with considerable practice - but nothing unreasonable - you can play Satch and Vai. If the crazies in IB are the jazz asshats they seem to be, they'll love improvised solos, too. (I know nothing about the IB program and tried to stay as far away from it as possible when I was in high school. Do what your instructor says, not what I say is reasonable. You can post here and we can joke about the stupids, though.)

I worded my post wrong. Sorry I just meant that they wouldn't approve of me coming in and playing MASTER OF PUPPETS back to back. She just told me that I should have a jazz thing, some classical stuff, maybe a blues thing, and something modern, to show off a diverse range of styles.
your teacher does realize giant steps, as well as most challenging jazz was written at 1950?

A jazz song im learning now is au privave, which is a technically challenging melody over what is basically a blues (with some harmonic substitutions). Id say learning au privave/blues for alice or billies bounce (all blueses written by charlie parker) would be good as it takes technical skill and allows you to use a form you already know (once you wrap your head around the extra ii V7s and iii VI ii Vs) as a vehical for improvisation. If you can also learn charlie parker's improvised solo im sure that would also be quite impressive. Dont try giant steps if your unfamiliar with jazz, its one of the hardests jazz tunes period, many professional jazz musicians fall flat on there face trying to blow over it. I would say, if you do a bird blues (one of the songs i was talking about above) and a nice chord melody arrangement of a ballad, something like misty, darn that dream, my funny valentine, naima etc. (along with good, tasteful improvisation) you should be fine for the jazz portion. For classical, id recomend something like the arrangement of the Bach Cello Suite (the prelude) for guitar, as it is beautiful and does not require terribly advanced fingerpicking. For everything listen to alot of recordings and make sure to nail the dynamics and articulations, which are things about a piece that most non-classically trained players easily overlook and really seperate the men from the boys. One of the big differences between playing notes and playing music.
For classical play Gilberto Concerto! (Well, it's Harpsichord Concerto in A major by J.C. Bach. 's cover by Paul Gilbert).

Fun stuff
Quote by Austyn6661
I worded my post wrong. Sorry I just meant that they wouldn't approve of me coming in and playing MASTER OF PUPPETS back to back. She just told me that I should have a jazz thing, some classical stuff, maybe a blues thing, and something modern, to show off a diverse range of styles.
First, I am a much preppier metalhead than you are.

Second, the project: Can you have a backing track or perform with other musicians? I've got some ideas for both a yes and a no to that question.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Not even that. Would you expect a pre-1950s player to be able to just pick up their guitar and hammer out a Cynic song? Hell no. It's not that's it's so technically difficult -- it's because, like Jazz or Classical, music post-1950s music has a certain groove. If you don't pull that off correctly, it will sound terrible. I agree with you completely.
I'd like to see a "jazz asshat" play a Mike Romeo solo!

Imagine a guitarist from or stuck in the 50s all of a sudden having to play Romeo's tapping runs. That's an amusing thought.
It honestly insults me when people compare metal playing to jazz playing. How could anyone deny the work that you have to put into pure chops just to play a complicated metal riff cleanly? People who say metal is easy have underestimated the genre altogether. I've dedicated a lot of time into metal playing and I'm still stumped by a lot of songs (..and then considering Romeo, I've gotten almost nowhere ).

Oh yeah, TS, sorry for going off on a tangent here.
Quote by Eastwinn
It honestly insults me when people compare metal playing to jazz playing. How could anyone deny the work that you have to put into pure chops just to play a complicated metal riff cleanly? People who say metal is easy have underestimated the genre altogether. I've dedicated a lot of time into metal playing and I'm still stumped by a lot of songs (..and then considering Romeo, I've gotten almost nowhere ).

Oh yeah, TS, sorry for going off on a tangent here.

Generally people should look at every genre for what it is, rather than comparing it to other genres, and in doing so looking at it for what its not. There's good and bad, and talent or lack thereof, in every genre. Some jazzers will refuse to like metal; Some metalheads will refuse to like jazz. Neither is better or worse; They're just different.
It's okay to dislike a genre of music. I hate rap and I don't care what people think about me for saying that.

People who say that metal is easy have no clue what they're talking about, though. It's easy to play Romeo's solos? Petrucci? Murray/Smith/Gers? Jazz asshats, try to play the
Sea of Lies
tapping riff, the intro to The Glass Prison, or those three solos in No More Lies. (Those probably aren't the most diffiicult songs I could have picked, either.)

It's okay to dislike a song or a style of music, but to dismiss it as easy to play is ridiculous. Except for rap.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's okay to dislike a genre of music. I hate rap and I don't care what people think about me for saying that.

People who say that metal is easy have no clue what they're talking about, though. It's easy to play Romeo's solos? Petrucci? Murray/Smith/Gers? Jazz asshats, try to play the
Sea of Lies
tapping riff, the intro to The Glass Prison, or those three solos in No More Lies. (Those probably aren't the most diffiicult songs I could have picked, either.)

It's okay to dislike a song or a style of music, but to dismiss it as easy to play is ridiculous. Except for rap.

Listen to immortal technique. I thought I didn't like rap either, until I hear his stuff.

And this is rap that would not be easy to play (well rap). Not that its a good song.
Way to derail my thread guys

Quote by bangoodcharlote
First, I am a much preppier metalhead than you are.

Second, the project: Can you have a backing track or perform with other musicians? I've got some ideas for both a yes and a no to that question.

I can perform with a group, and the IB students in my class are all damn good musicians, so that's not really a problem. I just wanted to do a few solo things.

And I eat, sleep and breathe Aeropostale, American Eagle and Hollister. Bam
An SRV song, for example, is going to sound markedly different if you don't have any backing. Think about what you lose by playing alone. It isn't that you shouldn't play alone, but think about your options.

And if you've only got AE, Aeropostale - which I still can't pronounce - and Hollister on your side, I win. I'm in college at (I almost revealed! But it's traditionally ultra-prep, I assure you) and I'm studying to be a DOCTOR (pre-med, anyway). Right now, I'm wearing a bebe shirt. And I ski. Trump that! (Bitch! )
Quote by bangoodcharlote
An SRV song, for example, is going to sound markedly different if you don't have any backing. Think about what you lose by playing alone. It isn't that you shouldn't play alone, but think about your options.

And if you've only got AE, Aeropostale - which I still can't pronounce - and Hollister on your side, I win. I'm in college at (I almost revealed! But it's traditionally ultra-prep, I assure you) and I'm studying to be a DOCTOR (pre-med, anyway). Right now, I'm wearing a bebe shirt. And I ski. Trump that! (Bitch! )

Curse my birth date.

You win this time.

Yeah, I decided to just do a 12 bar blues improv, so I got my songs. Thanks everyone