Lately I've been really into Strats and can't stop playing mine.

I'm most familiar with the later 60s tone of Hendrix, and I'm wondering what are the main differences in tone between the early 1954 Strats, compared to later ones from 60s?

I've been looking around at different aftermarket pickups and keep seeing ones based on '54 Strats, pre-CBS, early 1960s, 1957, CBS, etc...

Can someone briefly explain the differences in tone and pickups of Strats through the years, mainly 50s to 70s? Or maybe share some links to some info?

Thanks.
As enticing as it might sound to get some "vintage" pickups, pickups don't play that much of a role in your tone as the wood of the guitar, it's construction, and your amp. Not to mention your fingers.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.

Quote by VoodooCow229
As enticing as it might sound to get some "vintage" pickups, pickups don't play that much of a role in your tone as the wood of the guitar, it's construction, and your amp. Not to mention your fingers.
Yeah, the pickups don't play as much of a part in overall tone compared to those things. But I just want an idea about the basic differences.