Flying V
27 10%
Explorer
45 17%
Other
23 9%
Voters: 267.
Page 1 of 4
You know what guys, I've changed my mind. I still want a Gibson but I've decided that if I'm gonna buy one I'm gonna buy it myself with money I earned so I can fully appreciate it. My dad's still gonna buy me a guitar though.

Thanx for your votes and comments .
Last edited by yoojee-er at Sep 20, 2009,
Sounds like you only want a Gibson because of the name.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by IHeartMyCrybaby
Can I ask why a Gibson?

Why not? I hear good things about them. Sure they're expensive but I'm not the one buying it .
there is no "best". tell us what you want exactly and we can steer you in the right direction.
Les Paul. Not that I could ever really afford to have a gibson les paul, but I play them when I go to guitar center and they are awesome. I'm hoping to get an epiphone les paul as my next guitar, and that's close enough.
Depends on your preference, but my favorite is the Les Paul. It looks and sounds good playing any genre, plays like a dream, and feels perfect.

My second favorite Gibson is a Firebird, due to it being unique in shape and having some very nice tones coming from the pickups. Did I mention it also plays like a dream?
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
depends what u play i would say sg or flying v
Originally Posted by TeenBite
Pfft, you all with your big shredding solos. I just play pinch harmonics, then play the same note again without a pinch harmonic. Everyone is like "teh fook?!".
You might as well get a guitar you really like rather than just a guitar you've heard good things about. Looks like budget isn't a factor, so wh at bands do you play a lot and what genres do you play?

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Quote by Guitar2theface
You might as well get a guitar you really like rather than just a guitar you've heard good things about. Looks like budget isn't a factor, so wh at bands do you play a lot and what genres do you play?

This. Don't just get a Gibson. I was going to. Then I got a PRS. FTW.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Guitar2theface

Mostly pop-punk. You know, bands like Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41. I also play a tiny bit of metal and hard rock.
Well if you're not using anything with a tremolo or whatever, I think you'd like the Gibson Les Paul (all that persuading and it ends up being a Gibson anyway), but someone probably knows something better than me.

Oh and PRS is great, just saying.

Current Gear
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
wow ok, i love V's
but after playing the VBT 700, which i promptly picked up, i realized the Gibson V's just didn't cut it anymore...

what im trying to say is...get a guitar that is functional not simply a name...

as much as I digged the style

it just didn't do what i needed it to do...the Ibby did, and for about 600 dollars less mind you
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by yoojee-er
Mostly pop-punk. You know, bands like Blink-182, Green Day, Sum 41. I also play a tiny bit of metal and hard rock.

Fender strat HSS?
I shouldn't post when drunk..

07 LTD MH400NT SD SH2/SH5
15 Jackson SLATHX-m 3-7 Slime green
Squier std tele (modded to hell)

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h
Zilla Superfatboy 2x12 v30's

Pedals
Quote by Carrot
Fender strat HSS?

Yeah honestly. You don't need to dish out the money for a Les Paul when you can get an American HSS strat.

But if you do dish out the money, get a PRS SC245 or something.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by Carrot
Fender strat HSS?

Not a big strat fan. 4 out of 6 people I asked said that Gibson is better than Fender.
Quote by yoojee-er
Not a big strat fan. 4 out of 6 people I asked said that Gibson is better than Fender.

Doesn't really matter what ANYONE says. Not even us. We can guide you, but it's down to you. Neither company is any BETTER than the other. They both have their own advantages and disadvantages. YOU should go to the store and play every guitar you can to find out what YOU like.
And are you not a big strat fan because someone told you? Or becuase you have a cheap squier? Not a good basis to pass judgment.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
It sounds like you are just thinking of getting a Gibson because of the name. Dont, there are plenty of more versatile guitars then Gibson. Look at some Ibanez guitars.

And I also Agree with the Stratocaster HSS idea.

There is no better company. There are luthiers that hardly anyone has heard of who can make top quality instruments. So dont just look at the name. Go to the guitar store, find a pretty looking guitar, try it out. Dont like it? Try the next guitar. Find a few that you like and then pick your favorite. Try and keep the brand in the back of your head. Its just a brand, it doesnt say anything about the playability or tone of the guitar. Personally, I would recommend a Stratocaster. But seriously, go to a guitar store and find one you like best!

Good luck!

EDIT: BTW, if you are stuck on the idea of a Les Paul or something, definitely go and look at Agile guitars. Some people say that they play better then most Epiphones and some better then a Gibson. Just a thought. And they are pretty cheap too. So maybe you could get two! The more guitars, the better.
Last edited by a7xplayer at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Doesn't really matter what ANYONE says. Not even us. We can guide you, but it's down to you. Neither company is any BETTER than the other. They both have their own advantages and disadvantages. YOU should go to the store and play every guitar you can to find out what YOU like.
And are you not a big strat fan because someone told you? Or becuase you have a cheap squier? Not a good basis to pass judgment.

I just don't like the feel of strats. It's just not, how can I put this? It's not ME. And yes, I own a cheap squier.
gibson isn't really the best, because that's subject to opinion, but it is definitely an original prototype of a humbucker guitar.

a gibson les paul with binding is the way to go if you want a gibson (aka not studio)

the new traditionals are copies of 90's les paul standards and won't break your dad's budget at under $2000
It's all about feel
Quote by Guitar2theface
Well if you're not using anything with a tremolo or whatever, I think you'd like the Gibson Les Paul (all that persuading and it ends up being a Gibson anyway), but someone probably knows something better than me.

Oh and PRS is great, just saying.

PRSPRSPRSPRS
Quote by bendystraw
what's pron?

EDIT: i googled it, you guys are gross.

a2m/gape/murder/suicide/farrakhan/braziliancakefarts/bugera
Quote by yoojee-er

Stop right there bro. It's not time for a new guitar. Your only opinions are other people's and even those are generalized and useless. To put it bluntly, you have no idea what you're talking about, and you don't need to be tossing off your dad's hard-earned money on an impulse buy. First off, Neither Gibson nor Fender nor Ibanez nor any other brand are better, it depends on what you are looking for. If someone says the Gibson is better, especially with their lack-luster performance lately, it's because they've been conditioned to. My grandmother, who knows nothing about guitars, once told me "Gibsons are the best guitars." with absolutely no evidence or reasoning, because they're just that overhyped. You're at the stage where you should be spending as much time as you can learning about guitars and trying them out, deciding what one you want. If, after you try some out, you think a Strat is comfortable and sounds nice, go for it. If you like how the ESP Eclipse sounds, get it. Frankly, I'd steer you away from Gibson. They sell their instruments for three times what they're worth simply because they're Gibsons. For pop-punk, go to your nearest store and try some Fender Telecasters, or Schecters, or LTDs. Spend some time on UG reading reviews and buyer's guides, we have plenty.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
SRSLY like ive said a HSS strat would be a lot better,

Im an ESP LTD man myself, but id use a strat any day of the week too, the necks arnt just the one shape, they come in a fair few to choose from,

maybe look at a few jacksons SLSMG, SL2, maybe too metal for you but i dunno,

or the PRS' AMAZING guitars!
but then again the only single coil/humbucker one is the sexy PRS 305

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
Quote by Pretty. Odd.
Stop right there bro. It's not time for a new guitar. Your only opinions are other people's and even those are generalized and useless. To put it bluntly, you have no idea what you're talking about, and you don't need to be tossing off your dad's hard-earned money on an impulse buy. First off, Neither Gibson nor Fender nor Ibanez nor any other brand are better, it depends on what you are looking for. If someone says the Gibson is better, especially with their lack-luster performance lately, it's because they've been conditioned to. My grandmother, who knows nothing about guitars, once told me "Gibsons are the best guitars." with absolutely no evidence or reasoning, because they're just that overhyped. You're at the stage where you should be spending as much time as you can learning about guitars and trying them out, deciding what one you want. If, after you try some out, you think a Strat is comfortable and sounds nice, go for it. If you like how the ESP Eclipse sounds, get it. Frankly, I'd steer you away from Gibson. They sell their instruments for three times what they're worth simply because they're Gibsons. For pop-punk, go to your nearest store and try some Fender Telecasters, or Schecters, or LTDs. Spend some time on UG reading reviews and buyer's guides, we have plenty.

I get all my guitars online. First I read reviews and ask people their opinions and Gibson guitars have very good reviews. All the people I asked the gibson or fender question to were all guitar players like me and they've been playing much longer. I've never played or touched a Gibson guitar but I've played an Epiphone Les Paul and G-400.
Quote by Pretty. Odd.

Agreed^

OP you sound like one of those 12 year old kids on youtube with gibson guitars trying to play crazy train or stairway to heaven and failing hard. You probally dont desrve any better then your "cheap squire". You also cant compare a affintiy squire strat to a MIA deluxe series.

The others who suggested a HSS strat know what there on about. It is a good match to the genre you provided.

Also your thread is misleading at first. If you are going to have a poll of which is the best gibson guitar then you better put a gibson ES there.
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

Quote by yoojee-er
I get all my guitars online. First I read reviews and ask people their opinions and Gibson guitars have very good reviews. All the people I asked the gibson or fender question to were all guitar players like me and they've been playing much longer. I've never played or touched a Gibson guitar but I've played an Epiphone Les Paul and G-400.
You need to try them for yourself. If your dad's supportive enough to offer you whatever you want, have him take you to a few stores. I live hours from the nearest store, but I still find excuses to go up to Guitar Center and try guitars. Buying online is always a gamble, but I can't stress this enough when it comes to Gibson, they turn out so many lemons it's rediculous. I picked up a Flying V the other day with the most horrendous fret-job I'd ever seen. Who you asked "Gibson vs. Fender" is irrelevant because the question in itself is nonsense. And while we're on the subject, so is the length of time they've been playing, there are people who've played all their lives and don't have a clue and there are people who've been playing for a year that can out-play all of us.
Squier Strat (Jazz/JB) - Dunlop Zakk Wylde Crybaby - Boss MIJ HM-2 Distortion - Peavey Valveking 212 - Fender CD60
Last edited by Pretty. Odd. at Sep 10, 2009,
Quote by Tatsumaru
Agreed^

OP you sound like one of those 12 year old kids on youtube with gibson guitars trying to play crazy train or stairway to heaven and failing hard. You probally dont desrve any better then your "cheap squire". You also cant compare a affintiy squire strat to a MIA deluxe series.

The others who suggested a HSS strat know what there on about. It is a good match to the genre you provided.

Also your thread is misleading at first. If you are going to have a poll of which is the best gibson guitar then you better put a gibson ES there.

hope you dont mind me sigging part of that,

but i do agree with everythin you said

Engl Powerball
Laney Ironheart 60h

Pedals
you said you buy all your guitars off line. take it from someone who's recently been in that situation, you want to try them first. You might end up (like me) with something completely different than you expected if you take the time to play the guitars in the store. Basing your opinions on other peoples' experiences will not show you what guitar is best for you because not only is the feel of the guitar a preference that differs from person to person, but two guitars that are the exact same make/model, could be set up and feel completely different. Trust me on that one. I think maybe you're not ready for a guitar that pricey if you don't know the basics. I'm not trying to insult you, just warn you before you make a huge mistake. Buying off the internet is risky enough, buying without trying is risky enough, but doing these things without basic knowledge of what makes a guitar "good" is even riskier. Gibson is no "better" than Fender. They make totally different guitars that really are on the same level quality wise but have two different sounds. You need to get out there, play, form your own decisions and then make a purchase. Peace man, and good luck.
Gear:
Fender Classic Series 50's Strat
Vox VT15 amp
Bongos

Quote by BillyRamone
Looks like Harry Potter about to fly an old biplane. A lady killer, but the ladies cannot figure out which state he's from - Indiana, or Pennsylvania?
Owns the under 5'2" hotties.
Check it out, really to my life experiences, people who's dads still get them stuff like guitars for their birthdays arent usually older than like 16. And by those standards, unless your hardcore, spending the money for a Gibson is retarded. Especially for **** like punk. Theyr heavy, solid mohagany with humbuckers. Full righ sound, not the real punk sound.

And you cant take anybody elses word for what you like. Regular LP necks are fat, but I love the tone. So for mine I went out and got a 60' Reissue. It costed more but they had a thin neck on those, and I like it. You cant figure stuff out like that until you try it.
if you're basing your next guitar on what everybody else tells you to buy you're going to end up being extremely disappointed.

if there were a 25.5" scale gibson, i would say that one lol but really, you won't be disappointed by pretty much anything they make. just try before you buy.
Warmoth Telecaster Deluxe. Warmoth Strat. Seagull Artist Portrait Acoustic.

"Well good God damn and other such phrases, I haven't heard a beat like this in ages!"
-Dan Le Sac Vs The Scroobius Pip
get an ES 335 with humbuckers. I have the epi dot and I will now stay true to hollowbodies.
Quote by loudog93
get an ES 335 with humbuckers. I have the epi dot and I will now stay true to hollowbodies.

Not a fan of hollow-bodies.
Quote by yoojee-er
Not a fan of hollow-bodies.

Have you ever even played one?
Lots of punk players use them.
Anyways....
Sounds to me like-
You are a younger guitar player.
You want a new guitar.
You have no experience playing guitars around the price range that you're looking in.
You're taking other peoples personal preferences as fact. They may not even play the same style of music as you.

I used to think that Les Pauls were the best. Then I played a HSS Fender, and loved the gritty tones from it. I played a PRS, blew the Gibson out of the water. If you do end up buying a nice guitar, try all similar guitars in the price range.
You should bu a new guitar when you are dissatisfied with the old one, and feel that you deserve the guitar because of your playing improvement. Research and play the guitar. Don't take anyones opinions but yours. Everyone has different likes and dislikes.

My advice to you-
Look into PRS SE models. The ones with soapbars.
Look into upgrading your amp.

Don't buy an expensive guitar just because you can.

PM me if you have any questions about what guitars you should be looking at.

Don't ignore my post. I am not an ignoranrt jerk. I am trying to be helpful.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by Carrot
hope you dont mind me sigging part of that,

but i do agree with everythin you said

I dont mind you sigging any of my post
Quote by icpgettozone
are you legit?
No, I'm a

COMMUNIST

Quote by Daneeka
It feels a little good inside to be fair, i feel like i rocked to hard that i killed my amp.

I love all you guys who tell him not to listen to other people's opinions and then turn around and tell him to get a HSS strat or a PRS.

TS, go to a guitar shop and play all the guitars you mentioned. If you don't know what you want, wait a while and play more. Play the exact guitar you're going to buy. Ordering expensive guitars online is a bad idea.
Quote by Roc8995
I love all you guys who tell him not to listen to other people's opinions and then turn around and tell him to get a HSS strat or a PRS.

TS, go to a guitar shop and play all the guitars you mentioned. If you don't know what you want, wait a while and play more. Play the exact guitar you're going to buy. Ordering expensive guitars online is a bad idea.
This

Take this: What if you ask what to buy, and everyone else points you in the direction of, say, a Les Paul. You buy the Les Paul online WITHOUT ever playing one. You know they have great sound and great looks, but what if you take it out of the box and it doesn't have the right DIMENSIONS? What if it feels really bad to play, or gives your hand cramps?

I myself prefer the SG, primarily because the dimensions are perfect and give me 100% comfort while playing. I once played a Les Paul and it was pretty good, but I picked up the SG straight after and it felt like home.

Everyone has different opinions. Everyone has different wood preferences, pickup preferences, tonal preferences etc., and you can't use other peoples opinions as basis to buy something, especially something as expensive as a Gibson.

Use other peoples guidelines if you must, but don't use ONLY that as basis to buy a new guitar. It's obvious from the poll that the favourite is the LP, so go PLAY that guitar in a store first, and if you like it, go ahead and buy it. If, however, you DON'T like it, look elsewhere. And if you have DOUBTS about it, wait and try other things to compare.
Quote by Roc8995

I feel like ordering cheap guitars online is a bad idea. Expensive guitars tend to have a higher quality control and pay more attention to small details. But that's not true for Gibson when every neck is hand-sanded. I've had excellent results with my strat and RG.

But don't listen to anyone else when you're buying a guitar unless you're asking about the quality. Throw your current ideas about guitars out the window too. When you're buying a high-end guitar, the differences in quality are negligible. It all comes down to personal preference. You can be a Fender guy, a Jackson guy, a PRS Guy, an Ibanez guy, an ESP guy, or a Gibson guy, it doesn't matter since you're still getting a top-quality guitar. Try everything out yourself. For every Gibson lover, there are 5 Gibson haters. The same goes with every other company.

Don't read reviews either. Or be smart about the reviews you read. I pretty much only read negative reviews because they tend to be unbiased and show the negatives in the products. Think about it, the people who review amps and guitars bought it over other guitars in that similar price range. As a consumer, you (hopefully) know what you're looking for and if a guitar delivers in every aspect, it's a perfect 10. I bought my Epi G-400 as my first electric guitar because it had good reviews. The reviews didn't even matter since I realized that I don't like 24.75" guitars. Most guitars and amps get good reviews because they're all unique and people are looking for those specific qualities in a certain price range. That's why it's possible for a Blackstar HT-5 to have a higher rating on harmony central than a Soldano SLO100 or a Les Paul Studio to have higher ratings than a Les Paul Custom. It's all relative.
I would look into a guitar with coil-splitting function if you are planning on playing pop-punk and metal.
Remember that the people who writes reviews are using their gear for the styles that they play.
For example: a Dean Razorback would not be the best blues guitar, a singlecoiled Telecaster would not be the best metal guitar
Page 1 of 4