i ordered a 6505 212 combo from axe music last week, and of course it was broken when it got here, I'm probably going to ask for a refund and find something locally to be safe this time.

i was just going to buy a 6505 here and be done with it, but the problem was, id have to figure out a good way to switch between the 3 main tones i need smoothly live, the problem being that its a 2 channel amp.

i need a lead tone for soloing and being a general prick on stage, a rhythm tone for the rest of the song, and a clean tone for the spots here and there where i need it.

ive been using a GT6 for my tone and of course switching is easy, but ill probably put it in the effects loop and re-purpose it for effects mostly.

the only way i could think of having the 3 tones was to put the rhythm tone on the GT6 and play over the clean channel on the amp. but the problem is id have to be pressing 2 different switches to go from it to my lead tone and back.

the other option would be looking at a 3 channel amp, but i dont know of any in my price range with the same punch as a 6505.

so i turn to you UG. whats your suggestion?
just get an amp with a good rythym tone that u like and good cleans, and use od for the leads
Gear

Guitar:
Squier Strat

Amp:
Fender Roc Pro 1000 Half Stack

Pedals:
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech Cool Cat Chorus
Quote by Thrall
what amp are you using now?

a Fender FM212. nothing to brag about
if i remember correctly the messa dual rec is 3 chanel but im not 100% sure
the peavey xxx is 3 channel and i know thats a great amp but its a different beast tonaly, i personally prefer the 6505 to it
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
if i remember correctly the messa dual rec is 3 chanel but im not 100% sure
the peavey xxx is 3 channel and i know thats a great amp but its a different beast tonaly, i personally prefer the 6505 to it

if i had 3 grand to toss away id already have a rectifier
buy or make a amp switching pedal and use the Fender for cleans. unless 1st channel on 6505 is clean only. then you're screwed. I had the same problem but just saved up and bought a second amp with good cleans. i prefer it that way. plus you can mess around with stereo effects when you get bored. big bonus to me
Quote by Thrall
buy or make a amp switching pedal and use the Fender for cleans. unless 1st channel on 6505 is clean only. then you're screwed. I had the same problem but just saved up and bought a second amp with good cleans. i prefer it that way. plus you can mess around with stereo effects when you get bored. big bonus to me

i thought about that too, the cleans arent bad on the fender
I would get a Rivera. With three grand you could also get a custom made Titan amp.
FS LTD EC-50 with GFS PowerRails Bridge pickup
Im gonna agree with Thrall (as in W.O.W. Thrall?). Use the fender as cleans and a switcher for the 6505 rhythm and lead. I use a 6505+ stack and its nice cause I got the clean crunch and Lead all footswitchable. But a lot of people feel the + does have the punch of the original, and its in stack form so it may not be what your looking for.

Other than that I guess you could get an OD or EQ boost pedal for lead soloing.

Or the dodgey solution. Theres this brand called Bugera, sometimes they are nice and reliable and sometimes they are not... However they make a what they call the "6260" which is basically a copy cat of the 6505/5150, and a "6262" which is a copy cat of the 6505+/5150II. They both come in 212 combo variants, and I believe they both have Footswitchable Clean/Crunch, Lead, Reverb, and Effects loop. Now I have never played one, but its pretty obvious that they are modeled after the 5150/6505 series. They are about $600 for the 6260 212, and about $650 for the 6262 212 .

Anyways those Bugera's are not known as the most reliable amps, some people get good ones that last and some dont... So all in all its up to whether you want to take the risk. Otherwise I recommend running a fender and 6505 combo with a switcher.

or get the 6505+ head with a 2x12 cab, you can get some nice cleans out of it (with a tube change, I like my cleans...see my sig.)

Anyways best of luck.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
Im gonna agree with Thrall (as in W.O.W. Thrall?). Use the fender as cleans and a switcher for the 6505 rhythm and lead. I use a 6505+ stack and its nice cause I got the clean crunch and Lead all footswitchable. But a lot of people feel the + does have the punch of the original, and its in stack form so it may not be what your looking for.

Or the dodgey solution. Theres this brand called Bugera, sometimes they are nice and reliable and sometimes they are not... However they make a what they call the "6260" which is basically a copy cat of the 6505/5150, and a "6262" which is a copy cat of the 6505+/5150II. They both come in 212 combo variants, and I believe they both have Footswitchable Clean/Crunch, Lead, Reverb, and Effects loop. Now I have never played one, but its pretty obvious that they are modeled after the 5150/6505 series. They are about $600 for the 6260 212, and about $650 for the 6262 212 .

Anyways those Bugera's are not known as the most reliable amps, some people get good ones that last and some dont... So all in all its up to whether you want to take the risk. Otherwise I recommend running a fender and 6505 combo with a switcher.

or get the 6505+ head with a 2x12 cab, you can get some nice cleans out of it (with a tube change, I like my cleans...see my sig.)

Anyways best of luck.

+1
Gear
Guitars
- Ibanez GRX20
- Austin SG
- Alveraz Artist Acoustic Electric
Amps
- Kustom 15W
- Peavey Vypyr 75W
- Monitor speaker!
Effects
- Behringer V-Amp Multi-effects
- Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
- Tubescreamer
- Sampera I
Quote by Ethanb08

Anyways best of luck.

the other guitarist in my band had a 333. he set it on fire from playing it in less than a week. ive heard great things about the 6262, but its still 2 channel. so im only saving money at the cost of reliability
True it is only 2 channels, but you have the crunch function which I think is footswitchable (maybe get someone to confirm this) on both the 6260 and 6262. So you have the clean channel and you can add gain on top of it, and then the lead channel. Its like having 3 channels in the sence of gain stages:
1. Clean 2. Crunch 3. Lead

However you only have EQ for 2 channels.

I use my 6505+ as if it has 3 channels, the cleans for clean then I Step on the crunch switch or the gain boost and use that as rhythym and step on the lead to play solos and parts that need higher gain or more volume.

So technically only 2 channels but the crunch gain boost is like having a OD pedal to stomp on for the clean channel.

Anyways I dont know a lot of 3 channel tube amps that are in your price range, so I'd say maybe use an amp switcher to use the fender for cleans and a 6505 combo for rhythm and lead.

...Or keep saving for a mesa...hehe
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
True it is only 2 channels, but you have the crunch function which I think is footswitchable (maybe get someone to confirm this) on both the 6260 and 6262. So you have the clean channel and you can add gain on top of it, and then the lead channel. Its like having 3 channels in the sence of gain stages:
1. Clean 2. Crunch 3. Lead

However you only have EQ for 2 channels.

I use my 6505+ as if it has 3 channels, the cleans for clean then I Step on the crunch switch or the gain boost and use that as rhythym and step on the lead to play solos and parts that need higher gain or more volume.

So technically only 2 channels but the crunch gain boost is like having a OD pedal to stomp on for the clean channel.

Anyways I dont know a lot of 3 channel tube amps that are in your price range, so I'd say maybe use an amp switcher to use the fender for cleans and a 6505 combo for rhythm and lead.

...Or keep saving for a mesa...hehe

the footswitch that came with the combo doesnt have a switch for the crunch, if it did i wouldnt really have a problem. it had a lead/rhythm channel switcher. and then reverb (which is pretty useless.)
Ok I just did a little more reading on the bugera's and your right no crunch FSing.

So basically your back at the 2 amps and switching between them, the boost pedal, or a new amp with 3 channels.

If you were willing to save up some more you could try a 6505+ head and pair it with a 2x12 or 4x12 cab. (im not sure if you want for a cab considering you wanted a combo amp) You could also check out the used market on kijiji, or craigslist. Theres also the 6505+ 112 combo which is coming out sometime later this year.... but you might not want to wait... i think it has footswitchable clean crunch and lead. (can anyone confirm this?)

Other than that i've ran out of ideas...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Go find a nice used orange amp, regardless of what it is they all clean up perfectly when you turn back the volume, and if you really need MORE gain than an orange can give you just buy a ts9 and leave it on the floor for when you need to be a dick.

Personally, I'd recommend the dual terror. And I swear if one person comes in here and says its not loud enough I'm going to find them and hurt them.
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by Wylde14
i ordered a 6505 212 combo from axe music last week, and of course it was broken when it got here, I'm probably going to ask for a refund and find something locally to be safe this time.

i was just going to buy a 6505 here and be done with it, but the problem was, id have to figure out a good way to switch between the 3 main tones i need smoothly live, the problem being that its a 2 channel amp.

i need a lead tone for soloing and being a general prick on stage, a rhythm tone for the rest of the song, and a clean tone for the spots here and there where i need it.

ive been using a GT6 for my tone and of course switching is easy, but ill probably put it in the effects loop and re-purpose it for effects mostly.

the only way i could think of having the 3 tones was to put the rhythm tone on the GT6 and play over the clean channel on the amp. but the problem is id have to be pressing 2 different switches to go from it to my lead tone and back.

the other option would be looking at a 3 channel amp, but i dont know of any in my price range with the same punch as a 6505.

so i turn to you UG. whats your suggestion?

See if you can find some used Randall RM100's. They can get expensive (with 3 modules it'll be probably about $1300 if you get everything used), and it will be exactly what you want it to be (you can use any power tubes, and you have a plethora of modules you can pick from, and you can load whatever preamp tubes you want to fine tune each module). It has great tone at both bedroom and skull shattering volumes, and some of the best clean tones you can find in a metal amp.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by sesstreets
Go find a nice used orange amp, regardless of what it is they all clean up perfectly when you turn back the volume, and if you really need MORE gain than an orange can give you just buy a ts9 and leave it on the floor for when you need to be a dick.

Personally, I'd recommend the dual terror. And I swear if one person comes in here and says its not loud enough I'm going to find them and hurt them.

for the price of an Orange amp i could just get a rectifier.
Try a 3120 or triple X again, make sure the damping switch on the back is set to loose, set the all the EQ at 5, and then shape from there. These amps have plenty of gain and are capable of a ton of tones, keep the gain below 6 on both channels, any more than that just makes things fizzy and really adds little saturation, still these amp still have more than enough gain for any style even set at half. I like them better than the 6505, they are just way more versatile, also a good cab goes a long way, try it with a Mesa cab.
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
I haven't played 3120, but I've heard great things from it. The Tripple XXX is one of the better three channel, high gain amps in that particular price range. And they sell regularly on ebay or craigslist for solid prices.

Other than that, the overdrive pedal sounds like the most sensible idea. You may have to fork out more money for that third channel, otherwise.

Koch make three channel amps. The Twintone II is the only one I've played. It was similar to the Rectifier series by Boogie, but had more bass and a more hi-fi tonality to it. That's all I can say for it. It was nice but I didn't get to crank it.

The Laney TT50 is a good amp. Nothing special at low volumes. It felt very weak and thin. But it has three channels.

The Satriani Peavey has three channels. It's expensive though, and I haven't played it. Some people really like it.

Randall RM series? - I've only played three modules. Blackface... I can't remember the others. Nice amp, but very dry and American.

Marshall TSL? - Haven't tried it.

Framus Dragon - I owned it for a while and it was great, but sounded like poo at low volumes. The third channel seemed useful, but in the end, I only fully utilized the first two channels and used the third as a volume/gain boost for solos - which can be done with a tubescreamer.

seems a waste
Last edited by AngryGoldfish at Sep 11, 2009,
You do know that you can get rectifiers for around 1000 used right?
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Its simple.

Clean channel = cleans

Drive channel = rhythm

Drive channel + boost/od or EQ = leads

this