I am looking to get an SG. For about the same price, these two are available. The Orville has had Burstbuckers installed, and, in my opinion, looks nicer (Was refinished with a blue Nitro). The SG classic is, of course, an SG classic with P-90s and the like.

Anyone know much about these Orvilles? Are they a safe bet? How do they compare with the 'actual' gibson?
I've got a Gibson SG standard. its a pretty good guitar. I honestly don't know anything about Orville, but I highly recommend Epiphones. They're priced just right. they're made with foreign labor, cheaper electronics, cheaper paint job, and cheaper wood than a U.S.A. Gibson. but most of them look, feel, and play very well. The stock Epiphone pickups aren't always the best, but buy an Epi and installing grade A pickups and you'll have a fantastic guitar for 1/3 to 1/8 the price of an American made Gibson.
Quote by Phantom123
I am looking to get an SG. For about the same price, these two are available. The Orville has had Burstbuckers installed, and, in my opinion, looks nicer (Was refinished with a blue Nitro). The SG classic is, of course, an SG classic with P-90s and the like.

Anyone know much about these Orvilles? Are they a safe bet? How do they compare with the 'actual' gibson?
Absolutely!

Orville by Gibson was managed by the Gibson Guitar Corporation for the Japanese market during the late '80s and most of the '90s. These MIJ guitars are very high quality like most MIJ copies (Burny, Edwards, Greco, etc.)

If they come with BurstBuckers, I find the BB 1 and 2 way better than the BB Pro, an opinion. The SG Classic with P-90s is a different beast. It has more bite. Watch Carlos Santana's Soul Sacrifice in Woodstock.

Quote by Bluesrocker5150
I've got a Gibson SG standard. its a pretty good guitar. I honestly don't know anything about Orville, but I highly recommend Epiphones. They're priced just right. they're made with foreign labor, cheaper electronics, cheaper paint job, and cheaper wood than a U.S.A. Gibson. but most of them look, feel, and play very well. The stock Epiphone pickups aren't always the best, but buy an Epi and installing grade A pickups and you'll have a fantastic guitar for 1/3 to 1/8 the price of an American made Gibson.

Uh... I suppose I wasn't detailed enough. I've been researching/playing SG's for about 2/3rds of a year now, I've got a good idea about all the gibson/epiphone models. I already know the standard, all the epiphones, the classic, etc. It's the Orville I don't know. It looks pretty good, but I wanna make sure that it's worth as much playing-wise as a classic would be
orvilles are very good quality. most of them have long neck tenon as well. you could also check out the epiphone elitist sg - which is also made in japan and great quality.

and note that the sg classic has a more rounded/chunkier neck profile than even a standard or a special.
I'd get the Orville and upgrade electronics and pickups. Though I can't say I'm a big fan of blue guitars...