sorry if this should be in the tab talk section but i just wasn't sure.

ive been playing for a number of years now but every time i try to teach my self a song from a tab i give up in minutes, I'm not sure if its because I'm impatient or because i try to learn to much to fast and it just doesn't work.

so what i want to know is how you guys go about learning from tabs (if you do) and if you have any tips for me.

thanks
Quote by Punk_Ninja

I was like "Shut up woman, Satch is playing"
Quote by Soul Power
Maybe instead of eating you, you and her could eat a drifter. Like, make it one of those things you do together as a couple.
i use guitar pro and power tab. i find it much easier to work with cause i don't have to figure out the timing of the notes
i used to go to tabs and just go back to playing stuff i knew, but thats cuz i was impatient. now i actually spend time with the tabs and learn the song i want to play. It's a matter of if you seriously want to learn it or not.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
ok thank you. i do use guitar pro, im pretty sure yes it is just my impatience. i will try harder (hopefully)
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Quote by Soul Power
Maybe instead of eating you, you and her could eat a drifter. Like, make it one of those things you do together as a couple.
yeah sometimes i look at them and just instantly think "uuuhhwhaaa...?" and dont even attempt it
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Quote by Soul Power
Well, first thing - patience. Learning something that is going to challenge you and make you improve as a guitarist is going to take time and hard work. The other thing is to break it down into chunks. Just set yourself a simple little goal, like taking 4 bars worth of the song, then sit down and get to work. Don't worry about the rest of the song while you are doing this, just concentrate on getting that one bit as solid as you can. Then the next day, take another 4 bars or so, while spending a bit of time practicing what you learned yesterday also. You won't get the instant gratification (but to be honest, it takes a very, very good guitarist to be able to grab a whole song and nail it after only a few tries), but by the time you have it down it will be tight.
Last December I found this 'tab' thing and sort of figured out that it was showing me the positions of where the strings were suppose to be 'fretted'. I did what se012101 said - I took like one bar... then maybe 2 or 3 or 4 and tried to make the chords that were tabbed. I listened to the song to see how they sounded and used the song (since I knew it) to get the timing of the chord changes. The song was "My Foolish Heart" with the arrangement by John McLaughlin and it turned out pretty well.

I had the basic structures form beginning to end in about 3 weeks - maybe not working on it every day but close to it.

I realized that some of the chords just didn't seem to make sense and I tried to figure them out from listening to the song - what notes I need to play. I also used alternate chord structures instead of what the tab stated in a section or two. Ok, the way I play it , it doesnt sound exactly like John McLaughlin.... there are many here who could (but probably not me). But I can get away with the substitutions and the way I play it - it doesnt sound so bad to me so... what the hell.

my 2 cents.

CS
Last edited by Curious_Sort at Sep 11, 2009,