Hey guys, a local guitar shop has a les paul classic from 2002. My question is, what is the weight of this guitar in comparison to the newer les paul classics that are a bit lighter.

Also, does anyone know if the 02 model has the 60's slim neck on it? Unfortunately i cant get to the store for a lil while cuz ive been really busy.

thanks a lot, hope u can answer my question

-Drew
It really depends, I've played Gibson les pauls that range anywhere from 8 lbs or so to 12 lbs or so. The best sounding ones are typically in that 8-9lbs range.The classics should be weight relieved (but not chambered) and it should technically have the '60s slim tapered neck but that really don't take that all too seriously, the necks still vary widely.
Anywhere from 7 - 14 lbs, in my experience. LPs are all over the map when it comes to weight. I've played some great chambered ones as well that were in the mid-7s.

Edit: al beat me to it.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
its just cuz i played an 08 classic recently and it was mad light. but the one im looking at now is an '02 without the pickguard, and its got the flame maple look goin on. Does anyone else know how much this specific one might weigh?
^ There is no possible way to tell short of getting the seller to weigh it for you. Like I said, they're all over the map when it comes to how heavy they are and you can't tell until you pick one up.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
It's lightweight because les paul classics have been chambered for a few years now, the ones made before 2005 (I think, maybe 2006) used the swiss cheese weight relief holes that have been around since the '70s.

And like me and Bubb Tubbs very clearly said, they all vary in weight. It's impossible to tell you how much it's going to weigh. Unless someone has played this specific guitar, no one is going to tell you. I've played very heavy les paul classics and very light les paul classics.
ok thanks alot....now heres another question...i know the guitar is only from 2002, but u know how some people say vintage sounds a bit better? well i know this isnt really "vintage" yet, but wut are the chances of it sounding better and more bad ass than it mightve when it was new?
It'll pretty much sound the same. I'd say it'd have to have aged at least a couple decades before the age starts noticeably impacting the tone.

You'll find that "better" is very subjective and depends heavily on the user's preferred genre, tone, and playing style, among other things. A lot of that "older is better in all cases" stuff is just cork-sniffing - go with what your own ear likes.

thanks bubb tubbs....last question

If anyone has played the classics that were discontinued a few months ago, that had the 60's profile neck. Does anyone know if the 02 classics had the same neck?
The classics from that far back, and I believe all of them, had a different neck profile that was a bit thinner than the 60s carve. The ones I've played have all had that general thickness and while I don't remember what years they were all from I was under the impression that the slim neck was one of the standard features on the classic for the entirety of its run.
I love the Studios and Customs for the fatassed baseball bat neck on them. I'd never played a fat-necked guitar before I started testing LPs, but damn they're nice!

It's odd, my studio has a "50s rounded neck," and yet it's the thinnest neck I've played yet on a Gibson. Even compared to the R0 neck, it felt like a toothpick. And I've played several studios that have thicker necks, so I really don't know what to make of Gibson's necks. I've played a few classics with absolutely huge necks too even though they're supposedly a '60s profile.
^ The guy who sanded yours must have been trying to make a day of that one guitar.

Depending on the year, the Studio might not have the 50s neck. Up to the mid 90s there was no 50s or 60s carve, so it could just be a particularly thin example of that one.
yup yup chambered body is it. my 1999 Studio is extremely heavy compared to the new ones, i like the tone better with the non-chambered ones. that and my 99 stud. has a less common neck inlay on it lol. yey
I actually prefer the chambered ones to a large majority of the unchambered, swiss cheese hole weight relieved les pauls. 1) They're more comfrotable to play and 2) they're more open and resonant sounding. I recently played a chambered R8 with a pigtail bridge and WCR American Steeles, holy **** that guitar was a beast through a Deluxe Reverb. Might have been the best guitar I think I've ever played it sounded so good.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 11, 2009,
They're typically not, but they make specific chambered ones. I don't imagine they're all that popular and I think they might even be slightly cheaper than your normal R8, but some people really buy into the chambering thing. Still, that guitar was incredible, honestly impeccable in every sense.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 11, 2009,
As long as you don't get a traditional, you'll be fine. Those things weigh an absolute ton.

According to Phil X in one of his Fretted Americana videos, the perfect weight is between 7.5 and 8 lbs in a non chambered body.
I don't know, 7.5 pounds is awfully light for an LP. You'd be hard pressed to find one that light unless you spent quite a while looking for one.

The best sounding LPs I've played have varied enough in weight that I don't really consider it a factor other than for comfort. The wood density makes some difference to my ear, but it's not always as clear cut as heavy = bad.