Ok so ive been experimenting with lower tuning and i realized that my crappy little marshall mg cant take it. however, i have a marshall mg halfstack, which is basically a solid state head and a cab. now, im off to college in a year or so, and i was wondering:

1: would drop B songs sound like farts coming out of the halfstack or would it sound alright

2: would it be better to invest in a tube-combo amp?
dude you have all you need with the CRUSHING OVERDRIVE!!!!

but seriously just buy a little tube amp... its totally worth it
Gear
Highway One Tele (w/Custom Shop 51 Nocaster pickups)
Standard Tele (modded to Nashville specs)
Reverend Roundhouse

Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI
Vox AC4c1
Jet City JCA20H

And pedals!

"Shiva opens her arms now..
...to make sure I don't get too far"
Pretty old...

as for the MG Halfstack... are you happy with it? A tube amp upgrade would always be welcome- but thats up to you. Dropped B is really heavy...what stuff are you playing?
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
If you are moving into the dorms, do yourself (and your dorm-mates) a favor. Sell the halfstack and get a POD and run it through your computer. Dorms are VERY strict on noise and the POD will allow you to play your guitar at any time of day/night without pissing anyone off.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
I think it will be able to handle it... I have an MG250DFX and it handles everything decently (contrary to what people will tell you). However, upgrading to a tube amp is never a bad idea if you can afford it. I know I am planning on doing that first chance I get.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
I think it will be able to handle it... I have an MG250DFX and it handles everything decently (contrary to what people will tell you). However, upgrading to a tube amp is never a bad idea if you can afford it. I know I am planning on doing that first chance I get.

they make a 250 watt MG!!!!!???????

Also, you're right. MGs get a bad rap, the cleans are decent. Go for a small tube amp. I recomment the Vox AC4 and an overdrive.

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by jc349
they make a 250 watt MG!!!!!???????

Its actually only 100 watts, its the combo version.
Ah, ok.
The thought of 250 watts of crushing overdrive.......

-Gibson LP VM
-Silvertone Kentucky Blue
-MXR CC Delay
-Ibanez TS-9
-Egnater Rebel 20

My rig is simple
Haha. UG's Chuck just said chuck. haha
You're not truly playing guitar unless you know theory.
Quote by mogar
If you are moving into the dorms, do yourself (and your dorm-mates) a favor. Sell the halfstack and get a POD and run it through your computer. Dorms are VERY strict on noise and the POD will allow you to play your guitar at any time of day/night without pissing anyone off.

+1
well i have band practice this sunday so il see what happens with my halfstack

thanks for the help