First time, long time lurk.

Ive been playing for about a year now on and off-ish and I am now really getting into guitar full force again. Although I don't have the equipment to suite my needs.

First off I need a new guitar and need an amp. I'm hopefully getting a job very soon so I should be making about 500+ a month so a few months of savings could get me my dream set-up (my dreams are not very outlandish)

I love to play the blues, although my favorite bands consist of Metallica, Rush, Pink Floyd, Bullet for my Valentine, so I guess you could say I have a wide range of music that I like. Which is exactly why i am looking for a guitar that will suit all my needs, I need a guitar and amp that can play anything I need it to play.

Now I don't play any gigs and probably wont be for many many years so the amp needs to be about quality not quantity.

I was thinking a Epiphone Les Paul Ultra-2 or an Ibanez RG420, or even a strat. Now of course I haven't been shopping around long enough to know what the hell I need or want for that matter so I'm asking you kind folks for help.

On the amp subject I was thinking maybe a Blackstar HT Series HT-5H and HT-110 Guitar Mini Half Stack or a really nice Marshall (I also love the mini cubes, I would buy one no matter what amp I get haha). I'm not familiar with amps at all, I know a stack and head are probably not what I need since I don't need that much noise, I just want the quality.

So people, help me out I really need you. Many thanks, and sorry for the read.
**Edit** I forgot to tell you, I would like to keep the guitar and amp under $700, amp would come first since I already have a guitar (not a very good one at that but still)
Welcome to the posting world!

The Ibanez RG is a nice instrument...but first I, and I feel others will advise you this as well, you should pump alot of that money into a new amp and take it from there... $700 for a new amp and new guitar limits your options. Don't try to do too much at once. Buy one thing at the time, and don't try to spread your money too thinly. Since you have a guitar already, $700 on an amp will get you something very nice, especially if you scope out craigslist or ebay. You can get a used Marshall tube combo for that kind of cash.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
Welcome to the posting world!

The Ibanez RG is a nice instrument...but first I, and I feel others will advise you this as well, you should pump alot of that money into a new amp and take it from there... $700 for a new amp and new guitar limits your options. Don't try to do too much at once. Buy one thing at the time, and don't try to spread your money too thinly. Since you have a guitar already, $700 on an amp will get you something very nice, especially if you scope out craigslist or ebay. You can get a used Marshall tube combo for that kind of cash.

I was going to buy the amp first for sure, It will take me a month or two after buying an amp to save up enough money to get a new guitar, or maybe I'll decide to keep my guitar that I have now, build my skill, and save money toward something really nice. I'll check around for some Marshall tube combo's, I've been looking all over guitarcenter.com for their used inventory's in my area, they have some great stuff.

*edit*

Used MARSHALL MG250DFX 2X12 going for only $379 in my area, I can't complain about saved money! Any opinions on it? Will it work for what I'm trying to achieve?
Last edited by Undertow33594 at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by Undertow33594
I was going to buy the amp first for sure, It will take me a month or two after buying an amp to save up enough money to get a new guitar, or maybe I'll decide to keep my guitar that I have now, build my skill, and save money toward something really nice. I'll check around for some Marshall tube combo's, I've been looking all over guitarcenter.com for their used inventory's in my area, they have some great stuff.

*edit*

Used MARSHALL MG250DFX 2X12 going for only $379 in my area, I can't complain about saved money! Any opinions on it? Will it work for what I'm trying to achieve?

I have that amp, and I like it, but I too am looking to upgrade. Users on the forum do not like the MG series at all, but to be honest, it isn't terrible (especially since I pair it with my digitech tonedriver). However, for the money you have to spend, I would hold out for a nicer amp with some tubes. $379 is alot for a MG250DFX used, especially since it goes for about $4-500 new. Check craigslist in your area to see what they have, sometimes guitar center is limiting.
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
I have that amp, and I like it, but I too am looking to upgrade. Users on the forum do not like the MG series at all, but to be honest, it isn't terrible (especially since I pair it with my digitech tonedriver). However, for the money you have to spend, I would hold out for a nicer amp with some tubes. $379 is alot for a MG250DFX used, especially since it goes for about $4-500 new. Check craigslist in your area to see what they have, sometimes guitar center is limiting.

I'll make sure to check it out, thanks. Lets get some more opinions? Bump.
"Ibanez RG5SP1" anyone heard anything about this guitar? I tried some Ibanez's out and I'm digging their style. Anyone got any suggestions?
I would suggest a nice used peavey valveking 112.

There like 200 used, and you can get really bluesy, jazz tones to KsE and BFMV metal tones.

Just spend $50 on an attentuator, $50 on a digitech bad monkey, and your set!

Guitarwise, you would have 400~ left, so a used jackson, used ibanez, used schecter, or used esp would be perfect.
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these: