I don't doubt I am doing this wrong, but for the 7th Chord of the D Major Scale I came up with C# E G. It should be right considering the accidentals of the D Major Scale are F# and C# but I cannot find out what type of chord C# E G is. Please help me out and correct my terminology if I am wrong in any way.

While I am here I would also like to make sure I am right about the G Major Scale chords. I ii iii IV V vi vii(dim, I don't know how to type the dim sign on the putre). Which is the same as the C Major Scale chords.

I am writing these all out because my brain is not that great and I cannot memorize these all very easily. Is there a simpler way to memorize all of the chords of a scale? There seems to be a limitless number of scales which means there are the chords of the scales to go along with them. It demotivates me to think that I have to memorize them all. I am willing to do so, but if there is another way than what I am doing I would love to know.

Thanks in advanced.
Pipwud.
C# diminished... chord number vii is a diminished chord... that is the diminished triad with a 1-b3-b5...

Don't get demotivated man... just learn the major scale... if you want, memorise them as patterns in the beginning (but just know what they are)... music is quite a long journey... and theory is the food along the way... thats along the way, not all for one day ...

The good stuff is the wine to go with your food (which is the getting to play all of this and enjoying it)
Last edited by evolucian at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by evolucian
C# diminished... chord number vii is a diminished chord... that is the diminished triad with a 1-b3-b5

this
The way I remember the chords is remember the pattern for any major scale, which is:

Major - Minor - Minor - Major - Major - Minor - Dim

Meaning, the 1st chord in any major scale is a Major, the 6th is a minor, and the 7th is a Diminished (diminished being a minor chord with a flat 5th).

Then, as the Minor scale is just the 6th mode of Major (or, incase you don't know modes, a minor scale is just a major scale started at its 6th note, meaning for example C major uses the same notes as A minor but starts at C instead of A), the pattern for all Minor scales is:

Minor - Dim - Major - Minor - Minor - Major - Major
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Last edited by pigeonmafia at Sep 11, 2009,
It's all the same as in the key of C.
The pitch of the diatonic scale had shiflted that is all. Think of various keys as various pitch.
Kind of like using a capo.

Just remember the V chord has a b7 or -7 when you extend it, even though it's a major chord.
It's becuase there a full step between the 4th and 5th note of the parent/diatonic scale. It's why you'll see G7 chord in the key of C.

Or remember the I and IV chord has a maj7. It's becuse there 1/2 step between
the (3rd note and 4th note) and (7th note and the octive)

That's the term used in the interval chart.
maj7 or M7= as is to the diatonic scale
min7 or m7= 1/2 pitch down.

Captital M = maj. Small m = min

To exten the minb5 or diminish chord you would also play a b7
( there's a full step between the 6th and 7th note of the parent scale)

If you put the root note of the minb5 chord in the 1 position of the (reference) diatonic scale, it would written like this....1,-3,-5,-7 or 1, b3,b5,b7

I, IV= 1,3,5,7

V = 1,3,5,-7

ii,iii,vi = 1,-3,5,-7

vii = 1,-3,-5,-7

Or you can keep it simple and just remember it's every other note
Last edited by 12notes at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by Pipwud
I am writing these all out because my brain is not that great and I cannot memorize these all very easily. Is there a simpler way to memorize all of the chords of a scale? There seems to be a limitless number of scales which means there are the chords of the scales to go along with them. It demotivates me to think that I have to memorize them all. I am willing to do so, but if there is another way than what I am doing I would love to know.

Thanks in advanced.
Pipwud.

you don't have to memorize every chord in every scale, just know how to figure them out on the fly. just memorize the Major Minor Minor Major Major Minor Diminished for the major scale and the Minor Dim Major Minor Minor Major Major for the minor scale.

then if you haven't already, learn how a major chord is 1 3 5, a minor chord is 1 b3 5, a dim chord is 1 b3 b5, etc. (in short, it's every other note in the scale from whichever one you're building on)

Just spend some time figuring out a few keys (not really memorizing them, just practicing figuring them out) and pretty soon you'll be able to name any chord in a key on the fly with very little effort.

and of course by practicing it and using it you'll eventually have a lot of it memorized, without having to just sit down and memorize chords for hours on end.
Ahh! Thank you so much! I totally spaced the C# Major Scale. I is a dumby.

I appreciate it very much!