Yeah yeah, feel free to laugh at me for starting such a mundane thread but I did search and didn't find anything good. Basically I want to put locking strap... knobs(?) on a guitar that doesn't have strap knobs already.

So... I was thinking some Dunlops basically. Questions are:
Can I just screw these right in or should I drill a hole first?
The guitar has a trapeze tailpiece with a screw right where the strap knob would normally go (ie on the bottom, centred).. should I replace this screw with the strap knob or put it somewhere else?
Quote by Vixus
Yeah yeah, feel free to laugh at me for starting such a mundane thread but I did search and didn't find anything good. Basically I want to put locking strap... knobs(?) on a guitar that doesn't have strap knobs already.

So... I was thinking some Dunlops basically. Questions are:
Can I just screw these right in or should I drill a hole first?
The guitar has a trapeze tailpiece with a screw right where the strap knob would normally go (ie on the bottom, centred).. should I replace this screw with the strap knob or put it somewhere else?

Replace the original strap screw/knob with the one provided in the straplock kit. Just screw out/screw new one in.

Attach the other part in the kit to your strap.
WTLTL 2011
Quote by blue_strat

ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Quote by Mark G
Replace the original strap screw/knob with the one provided in the straplock kit. Just screw out/screw new one in.

Attach the other part in the kit to your strap.
Reading > you

What kind of guitar is this getting attached to?

If it's a regular solid body then yeah, attach one where the screw for the trapeze is (assuming the screw's bore matches) then drill a hole for the other. As far as placement it shouldn't be too dire. Just use as much common sense as you can muster and remember to pre-drill the hole. If you don't you might ruin the guitar's finish.
Quote by Marty Friedman
Because I bend in such an unorthodox fashion; the notes kinda slide up and slide down...
Quote by ch0
Reading > you

What kind of guitar is this getting attached to?

If it's a regular solid body then yeah, attach one where the screw for the trapeze is (assuming the screw's bore matches) then drill a hole for the other. As far as placement it shouldn't be too dire. Just use as much common sense as you can muster and remember to pre-drill the hole. If you don't you might ruin the guitar's finish.

Maybe I am misreading things but did he not say there IS a screw in place where the strap knob will go? He did. So I don't see why it would be wrong for me to suggest replacing that screw with the one suited for straplocks?

I'm confused
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 11, 2009,
I understand what Mark G was trying to say. The screw in question holds the tailpiece but I can't see any major problem replacing it with the strap screw (except that if it pops out bam goes the tailpiece..)

The guitar is a chambered electric.. a Gretsch Spectra Sonic baritone replica. If that's an issue could it not also go on the heel of the neck?

So predrill for the top and replace for the bottom. Thanks guys.
Last edited by Vixus at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by Vixus
I understand what Mark G was trying to say. The screw in question holds the tailpiece but I can't see any major problem replacing it with the strap screw (except that if it pops out bam goes the tailpiece..)

The guitar is a chambered electric.. a Gretsch Spectra Sonic baritone replica. If that's an issue could it not also go on the heel of the neck?

So predrill for the top and replace for the bottom. Thanks guys.

Don't be hasty with the drill, lets make sure its the right move first.

This is the guitar? I wrote what I was trying to say. I've never seen the guitar in person, or replaced the strap knobs on one, but makes sense from looking at the picture

WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 11, 2009,
I was about to post that pic

Cuz ever pic of that guitar I've seen, they already have strap buttons on...
ProTone Pedals: Attack Overdrive
Fractal Audio: AxeFX 2
Engl: Fireball 60
Zilla: Fatboy 2x12
Carvin: DC700
Carvin: Vader 7
Schecter: KM-7 MKii
Schecter: Banshee 8 Passive
Jackson: DK2M
Mine was made by a luthier down in England.. it's not an actual Gretsch and by jove it doesn't have any strap buttons on it.

Pic:
Last edited by Vixus at Sep 11, 2009,
Quote by Vixus
Mine was made by a luthier down in England.. it's not an actual Gretsch and by jove it doesn't have any strap buttons on it.

Pic:

Haha well then you have no choice but to drill. Might want to email the luthier to make sure you're drilling in the right spots. Nice guitar!

I > reading
WTLTL 2011
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
Anything temporary and plastic seems pretty dodgy to me. Although I did make some strap locks for another guitar out of metal ties. Failed without damage luckily.
Schallers are the only strap locks.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Quote by bubb_tubbs
Schallers are the only strap locks.

I use the Planet Wave straps that have the locks built in on either end of the strap =)

TS: You will have to drill. I don't see any electronics around the top horn (wait... is it still a horn even though its rounded like that!? lol) so I would assume it is safe to drill up there.

Also, I doubt there are any electronics running through the bottom where the bridge is attached to the body, but I could be wrong.
^ The schallers are still better. In the event that the locking mechanism fails, the guitar is held inside the saddles by gravity. It literally cannot fall.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Thanks.
Gear
Tokai Love Rock
Vox AC4
Danelectro Transparent Overdrive
T.C. Electronic Nova Repeater
Stomp Under Foot Violet Rams Head
I am going to go ahead and recomend these as they are MUCH MUCH better than any other strap lock I've ever used.

http://www.dimarzio.com/site/#/straps/
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
^ Is that the stupid screw-in strap they make with a buckle on it?

My LP came with one on it. I ripped it off and installed the Schallers first thing out of the case.

Yea that the stupid one thats never failed me unlike all the others I've used.
Gear
Jackson RR24M - EMG ALX w/ ABQ installed
Ibanez Xiphos - stock
LTD Alexi 600 - stock
Ibanex RG - Tone Zone(bridge), PAF Pro(neck)
Blackstar HT-20H
Fulltone OCD
MXR 10 Band EQ
bubb_tubbs: I've heard Schallers can get caught and unscrew themselves from the wood so they need to be tightened every so often.

Anyway I'm not planning on spinning the guitar around myself or anything. :P

I think I'll go with the dunlops for now and see how it goes. Cheers guys.
Last edited by Vixus at Sep 12, 2009,