I recently took an unscheduled break in my learning (death in the family) and i just can't get motivated to play anymore. I'll start playing but after about 20 minutes of playing scales, random chords or a song i just seem to get bored.

I have been playing for about a year and a half and have done the RGT exams (on 6 at the moment) and rockschool but only grade 3. I have learnt songs but mostly just intros, songs without solos or songs without the solos. The only song i have actually learnt in its entirety including solo is sunshine of your love but that's not perfect .

Not sure if I'm not enjoying it anymore or just can't get into a routine. Anyone else felt like this and if so, how did you kick it and get back into playing?
I feel like that all the time. Never bothered learning any scales, complicated theory or a lot of chords or soloing technique. I just play songs that I think sound good and improve that way. Maybe you should try playing songs with the techniques you wanna improve and practice?
maybe some outside motivation, try forming a band with some friends so you can push each other to keep learning and improving
Scar tissue that I wish you saw
Sarcastic mister know it all
Close your eyes and I'll kiss you cause
With the birds I'll share
This lonely view
Quote by Baraga
Get angry with your lack of motivation, and get an advantge of that, practicing

That has actually helped me before...
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
Best thing to do would be to form a band, or just jam with someone. Don't say you can't find any people who play, they're out there.

Unlike where In live. Brooklyn......word up nagger.
Ibanez RG120
Schecter C-1 Classic
Bugera 6262 w/ Mesa Boogie Rectifier 4x12
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Boss DD-7
Boss MT-2 (Keeley modded)

GODDAMMIT I need a G Decimator...
Haha well I'm 24 so always think myself past the age to be starting a band but i do know a few people i could jam with. Since i have learnt by grades rather than by songs i have always avoided it since i imagine i would, well suck!

I quite like the getting angry at my lack of motivation.

I recently got a new guitar but i got it off the internet since it was too expensive in the shop but when it got here i found the action way too high towards the saddle, which makes it difficult to play so that pissed me off quite badly, which isn't helping!

Thanks for the advice anyhow, I'll persevere and try and find some poor unsuspecting guitarist to jam with!
I missed out of them crooked vultures tickets when i was away since i didn't have email access, which would of really motivated me! The next gig i'm going to is the gallows in December so the motivation by gig idea will have to wait till then.

I have the weekend so i'm going to sit down and try and learn something and hopefully it will motivate me again.
I took a 3 month break from guitar recently ecause I got into music production instead.

I made dance and dubstep tunes for a bit then I played guitar. I'm loving it again
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
I have a similar issue, but my lack of motivation comes from a different source. My wife and I just had a baby come home from the hospital after having been there for 5 months. She is doing fine, but is currently on an oxygen tank. Taking care of her has just been tiring and time consuming so even if I do get some time to practice/play, I'm usually too tired. I'm sure once we get past the first couple of months with her I'll be back to playing, but for now, my guitars will ahve to wait.
Seriously, I'm in the band.
Quote by TheFunMachine
Haha well I'm 24 so always think myself past the age to be starting a band but i do know a few people i could jam with. Since i have learnt by grades rather than by songs i have always avoided it since i imagine i would, well suck!

I recently got a new guitar but i got it off the internet since it was too expensive in the shop but when it got here i found the action way too high towards the saddle, which makes it difficult to play so that pissed me off quite badly, which isn't helping!

Thanks for the advice anyhow, I'll persevere and try and find some poor unsuspecting guitarist to jam with!

Hey man, its just a phase. I am 40 now. I have been in and out of trouble all of my life, addiction problems, marriage problems, women trouble in general. anyway, nevermind all of that. I have been musically frustrated just like you are saying so many times! Dude you are only 24! you are young! You just had some trauma in your life man. Just relax. Time will let everything sort out. Just be patient. And P.S. any guitar that is not set up to your liking is not gonna be fun to play.
Quote by TheFunMachine

Get that guitar fixed, then you can play it. You had a death in the family, start improvising and try to play what you're feeling. Just noodle around and have fun. If you make it a chore to play guitar, then what are you doing? You're not enjoying it.

Find what made you pick up the guitar in the first place and go from there, or just improvise and don't worry about perfecting your playing, just play to make music. That's what gets me when I'm not motivated.
Quote by TheFunMachine
I recently took an unscheduled break in my learning (death in the family) and i just can't get motivated to play anymore. I'll start playing but after about 20 minutes of playing scales, random chords or a song i just seem to get bored.

I have been playing for about a year and a half and have done the RGT exams (on 6 at the moment) and rockschool but only grade 3. I have learnt songs but mostly just intros, songs without solos or songs without the solos. The only song i have actually learnt in its entirety including solo is sunshine of your love but that's not perfect .

Not sure if I'm not enjoying it anymore or just can't get into a routine. Anyone else felt like this and if so, how did you kick it and get back into playing?

I feel like this when I'm working too hard. Seriously, did any of us start playing guitar to become musical robots or did we start playing because we wanted to have FUN? Simply put, if you want to enjoy playing guitar, play what you enjoy. It's guitar, it's FUN!!! You're never JUST PRACTICING scales or PRACTICING solos. You're PLAYING scales and solos. You don't seem to know why you're playing. What happens when you get so good that you can do all those scales blindfolded, or there are no grades left to go up in rockschool? Will you stop playing then?

If you want to enjoy playing guitar, you have to make playing guitar enjoyable. Besides, you'll get alot better just jamming with friends or jamming by yourself with practice of basic scales than trying to just learn all the scales and never letting the notes speak for themselves
Quote by TheFunMachine

You're NEVER too old to start a band.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray