I'm not a big pedal user though I'd like to get into it more. I just got an amp that has an effects loop and I want to try to take advantage of that. The only pedals I own are ehx metal muff, a vox volume pedal (which I feel is pointless...what's the point of a volume pedal), and an old digitech multi effects pedal. As you can see I have limited experience with pedals.

I want to know of any recommended reverb pedals. Also, is there such a thing as a pedal that detunes your notes? I'm confused whether a pitch-shifter or a detuner is the correct term I'm looking for. Basically I'd primarily use it to play songs in drop C when I'm in drop D. Is this possible?
There's no point in buying a FX pedals just to use your loop!

What kind of sounds are you really looking for? Anything specific, or just some cool sounds to give you a bigger sonic palette?

On your last question, there are a few pedals on the market that detune your guitar but they're universally expensive and so far, don't work well for full chords or sound very good..

A new one called the Morpheus DropTune is supposed to be the one exception - it can tune down your guitar without losing tone or sounding too 'digital' - but even that will only bring your entire guitar up and down like an octaver, not change individual strings' pitch. You'd need a Variax for that.

Plus it sells for $200 and unless it turns out to be as good as it promises you might as well just buy a second guitar for Drop C and get better sound quality for only a little more hassle.
does most people run there effects in the loop, eq, delay,chorus? P. S. going to see Lynch sat!!!!!!!
tone slut

Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier
jet City 2112 Combo
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender Classic Vibe Telecaster
Quote by kyle62
There's no point in buying a FX pedals just to use your loop!

I guess I'm not sure how an effects pedal works then. I used to just plug my guitar into my distortion pedal and plug that into the amp on the clean channel. I was under the impression that with an effects loop I could just have the pedals connected to the amp by themselves and just plug the guitar into the amp. Please enlighten me if that is not correct.

Quote by kyle62
What kind of sounds are you really looking for? Anything specific, or just some cool sounds to give you a bigger sonic palette?

I think right now I want maybe a flanger or phaser and a reverb. Reverb mostly for cleans because I love the way it sounds. I guess yea, I'm just interested in getting some different sounds.

Quote by kyle62
A new one called the Morpheus DropTune is supposed to be the one exception - it can tune down your guitar without losing tone or sounding too 'digital' - but even that will only bring your entire guitar up and down like an octaver, not change individual strings' pitch. You'd need a Variax for that.

I don't necessarily want to change each strings pitch...the whole guitar would be ideal, however if it's not feasible with a pedal then I suppose I will just pitch that idea...
An effects loop is a series of audio effects units, connected between two points of a signal path; usually between the pre-amp and power amp stages of an amplifier circuit, although occasionally between two pre-amp stages. The two principal uses of effects loops are in recordings and in instrument amplifiers.

There are two main advantages of an effects loop. The first is that generally effects sound clearer and are more pronounced when they are sent through a preamplifier prior to being affected. In addition to this, the tone of the amp is generally more defined if the guitar is going direct into the input of the preamplifier. The second advantage is to match impedances of equipment. For example, most guitar rack equipment works better at line-level, and not instrument level. By placing the effects after the preamp, this problem is solved.

Most guitarists use floor pedal effects between the guitar and the amplifier. Or they use rack effects through the amplifier effects loop. Recently, amplifier manufacturers have been including a level/gain control with the effects loops to allow for the use of floor pedals through the effects loop; rather than in-line between the guitar and amplifier. This allows for more tonal control of the amplifier.

From wikipedia, fairly accurate.

Basically, you use a loop for effects like delay, flange, reverb etc, since running them through the front of the amp would muddy up the sound.
Ok good...then I was correct. I think I was misleading when I said I wanted to take advantage of the fx loop...I just meant I have that option available now and I'd like to get a reverb pedal, would that be appropriate.
Just a quick 'nother question relating to my op...what are the proper uses of a volume pedal? I've got a simple vox pedal (can't remember the number or anything) that has only an input and output port. Is it only used for swells? I feel like it's not worth it to keep it.
Quote by r3h0ld3r
I used to just plug my guitar into my distortion pedal and plug that into the amp on the clean channel. I was under the impression that with an effects loop I could just have the pedals connected to the amp by themselves and just plug the guitar into the amp. Please enlighten me if that is not correct.

You don't want to be putting your distortion pedal after the pre-amp (i.e. in the fx-loop) in your amp, it won't sound too great. Keep them for in front of your amp
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender '62 Reissue JPN Telecaster
Yamaha AES500

Mesa Single Rectifier w/2x12 Mesa Rectifier cab
Fender '94 Twin Amp
Quote by r3h0ld3r
Just a quick 'nother question relating to my op...what are the proper uses of a volume pedal? I've got a simple vox pedal (can't remember the number or anything) that has only an input and output port. Is it only used for swells? I feel like it's not worth it to keep it.

Btw, this is a serious question. I think I'm gonna sell it...
Great. I've got a ton of good recommendations that I'll for sure be checking out. But I still have one question:

What is a volume pedal good for besides swells? or Should I sell it?
You could use it to boost your volume for solos. And volume swells are awesome.
i use my volume pedal to lower my volume when i want the other musicians' work to be more in front of what i'm playing... i do this because lowering the volume on the guitar can sometimes take away from the effectiveness of an effect (i.e. my fuzz factory sounds like **** when i lower my guitar volume). So I keep it at the end of my pedal board to i can lower the all around volume without hurting the tone of my pedals

infact i rarely use it for swells...

Don't sell it... throw it in your closet, you may want it again later in life
Last edited by theGlitch at Sep 16, 2009,
Volume pedals are awesome man.

I dont know what id do without mine, I use it as a gain control on my dirty channel(not so much on SS amps) along with the usual swells.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
K i'm keeping the volume pedal, however I still have questions.

I didn't really get any recommendations for reverb or phaser pedals. I'm also looking into getting a Dunlop crybaby now...maybe the 535Q. FYI I'll most likely be scouring ebay for these pedals.

I'm not really interested in building my own yet. The only thing I may build on my own is a pedal board after I saw some of the ones made on here.

Also, as I mentioned before, I've got an EHX Metal Muff...does that classify as a distortion, overdrive, fuzz, or muff? And what's the differentiation? Is it ok to use it on my dirty channel to tighten up my high gain tone?
Your Metal Muff is a distortion. It's fine to use on your dirty channel if you think it sounds good there. Just experiment until you find a tone you like. As far as phasers go, the MXR Phase 90 and EHX Small Stone seem to be the most commonly used/respected, but search around and try out a variety.