Page 1 of 2
Personally, complex structures and weird chord progressions, along with tempo changes and dynamics are what I root for in a song.
How do you rate a song's composure and level of songwriting?
I don't care that much honestly, I just listen.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
How br00tal the main riff is (i.e. how many times the guitarist can squeeze in an open low C note into the riff).
Quote by Chrisiphone
Oh wow this is a guitar forum!
Quote by JacobTheMe

Karvid is sexy

Quote by KAS1981
Why is it that some folks quote praise from other members in their sig lines?
Its lame.
If it does not rape my ears. I listen. I appreciate.
But I love Meshuggah
Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

I listen to it. When I like it, it's good. When I don't like it I try again later to see if it grows on me. If I still don't like it it's sh*t. That's how I rate a song. Pretty unique huh?
I don't. If I like it, I like it. Obviously then I'll have a look at what makes up the song, but I'm not going to let those things get in the way of me liking a song.
Ego inflating praise here:
Quote by Fishyesque
That is SOOOOOOOOOOO sig worthy! Pure awesomeness to you, sir.

C wut I did thar Fishy?

's UG
Good songwriting to me is... I'd say how good the lyrics are written, how the instrument is being used, is it just chugging on open E string downtuned to D in hopes of being teh br00tlz, or is it actually a good riff?
DeVillains!
Quote by Kensai

This, if I some how worked out a genius formula to making songs I like, I'd be making albums.
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
I don't think I can pinpoint specific features that I like. There are somethings that a lot of my favourite music features, but I also listen to a lot of music which features the exact opposite.

I would say I like energetic music, but I like Pink Floyd and Dire Straits just as much.
I would say I like melodic music, but I like Motorhead just as much.
I would say I like lyrics about everyday life that I can relate to, but I like Black Sabbath, Megadeth and Rush.

It's hard for me to specify a "formula". I guess there are several formulas for different kinds of songs.
Quote by Venice King
This, if I some how worked out a genius formula to making songs I like, I'd be making albums.

You can make albums without that. Just listen to Brokencyde.
So what do you think is a good riff?
Because I listened to the pursuit of vikings by Amon Amarth, and I couldn't find a more unoriginal riff, even though the comments were like "Wht @n awsuum riff l0l".
And, even though I love some songs, Meshuggah are too blatant and repetitive for their own good.
Good, original riffs are extinct. That's why I turned from brutal death metal to punk rock.
Sad but True.
I don't much care for really fast playing, i like awesome riffs that you easily get into.
Substance muh man, substance.
Quote by The_Casinator
You can make albums without that. Just listen to Brokencyde.

I'd never heard of them before so I thought I'd go look them up on youtube, it felt like my own room 101!
Blog Of Awesome UGers.
Quote by OddOneOut
I seem to attract girls.
Which is annoying, cos I'm a girl and I like cock.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Being an idiot should be illegal too.
songs like Holy Wars is good song writing to me.
Complex riffs, great lyrics. Tight complex rhythm during great solos. And dynamic riffs that make the song change pace so it doesnt feel long or repetitive.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King
Get 'Cliff is Angry. So so angry' on your ass.

Edit: Then take pictures and send me them.

Genetically engineered and raised by wolverines DAVE MUSTAINE...
i don't care about technicality or anything. if the song is supposed to be a sad song, it has to portray it really well. doesn't matter if it's metal, classical, or jazz, or anything. as long as you can really feel what emotion the artist is trying to communicate, it's a good song. too many songs try to sound sad or something, and they just sound like a bland rock song with "sad" cliched lyrics.
Quote by Venice King
I'd never heard of them before so I thought I'd go look them up on youtube, it felt like my own room 101!

For me, it's energy + journey (as in take me somewhere, not as in Dooooon't Stop! Belieeeevin'!).

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Being interesting, emotional, having a strong mood or atmosphere, memorable riffs and melodies. Unpredictable, but having enough recurring themes and natural enough transitions to have a sense of unity. Creates and releases tension, and builds up climaxes well. Lyrics that don't suck and aren't preachy, and maybe some memorable and apparently meaningful lines.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
I tend to care a lot about lyrics, if they give me anything and what the singer/band want to say with the song. The voice and the lyrics together is a vital part to me. I don't give a damn about chord progression as interesting song and lyrics can make anything sound good.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
Quote by dgme92
I don't. If I like it, I like it. Obviously then I'll have a look at what makes up the song, but I'm not going to let those things get in the way of me liking a song.

This. I'm usually quite surprised to see that most of the songs I really end up noticing are easy as pie.
The times they are a changin'.....
Quote by Karvid
How br00tal the main riff is (i.e. how many times the guitarist can squeeze in an open low C note into the riff).

If thts the case i must be the most br00tal mother ucker on the planet.

ecookie for the reference.
-no sig-
Quote by Kensai

Do you actually sleep?

Everytime I'm in the pit, you are posting.
It's like a perpetual Kensai machine...

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by CliffIsAngry
songs like Holy Wars is good song writing to me.
Complex riffs, great lyrics. Tight complex rhythm during great solos. And dynamic riffs that make the song change pace so it doesnt feel long or repetitive.

I know that the concepts of good and bad are subjective, but Megadeth have never really been known for their lyrics. It's a great song, but I wouldn't say it had great lyrics. They're mediocre at best. Mediocre isn't bad, though, just average.

For me, good songwriting is mostly about lyrics. The chord progression is also important, but I'd rather hear great lyrics over a set of I-vi-ii-V changes than crappy lyrics over something cool like C-Bm11-Asus-A.

There is more than one way one can set out to write good lyrics. You can tell it like it is, and use vivid descriptions to carry the message across, or you can go for more poetic lyrics, using metaphors, wordplay, and diction to get it across. Either way, you need to communicate something, and the very best lyrics get it across loud and clear. These aren't the only two ways to write lyrics.

You can also use surrealist techniques, like the cut-up method. A lot of David Bowie's lyrics were written like this, and Radiohead used it a lot on Kid A. In this way, one can comment on how language is arbitrary, and how a collage of words arranged at random can have as much meaning to one person as a very carefully-crafted set of lyrics do to another.
I tend to judge a song on how it feels and/or the story it tells.(whether there are words or not) Sometimes it's something simple sometimes it's something complicated.
Quote by Holy Katana
I know that the concepts of good and bad are subjective, but Megadeth have never really been known for their lyrics. It's a great song, but I wouldn't say it had great lyrics. They're mediocre at best. Mediocre isn't bad, though, just average.

For me, good songwriting is mostly about lyrics. The chord progression is also important, but I'd rather hear great lyrics over a set of I-vi-ii-V changes than crappy lyrics over something cool like C-Bm11-Asus-A.

There is more than one way one can set out to write good lyrics. You can tell it like it is, and use vivid descriptions to carry the message across, or you can go for more poetic lyrics, using metaphors, wordplay, and diction to get it across. Either way, you need to communicate something, and the very best lyrics get it across loud and clear. These aren't the only two ways to write lyrics.

You can also use surrealist techniques, like the cut-up method. A lot of David Bowie's lyrics were written like this, and Radiohead used it a lot on Kid A. In this way, one can comment on how language is arbitrary, and how a collage of words arranged at random can have as much meaning to one person as a very carefully-crafted set of lyrics do to another.

megadeth hasnt been known for their lyrics? I'm sorry what megadeth are you listening to?
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Quote by CliffIsAngry
megadeth hasnt been known for their lyrics? I'm sorry what megadeth are you listening to?

The overhyped overrated metal band Megadeth.
I agree today they are overhyped and overrated because they aren't in their prime anymore they lost that after marty left. But christ saying their lyrics are mediocre/bad is the biggest bull**** I've heard in a long time.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Quote by CliffIsAngry

The thrash band led by Dave Mustaine. Look, please don't get butthurt, I'm a fan, too. They, like a lot of metal bands, just aren't all that good at writing lyrics. It has never been one of metal's strong suits. There certainly is metal out there with good lyrics, but Megadeth aren't one of them. I don't hate Mustaine's lyrics, I just know that they're not the greatest thing in the world, or anything near it. He's a few cuts above the average metal lyricist, and I enjoy his use of wordplay, but he's not anywhere near Elvis Costello or Elliott Smith in terms of lyrics. At least he tries, unlike some people.
Quote by Al4Project
If thts the case i must be the most br00tal mother ucker on the planet.

ecookie for the reference.

Flight of the Conchords?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My-P4LssMsI

For me though, I'm not gonna let what makes up a song get in the way of me liking it. A good song is good songwriting.
Last edited by Oh Shize at Sep 11, 2009,
Bob Dylan and Thom Yorke.

That is all.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
Bob Dylan and Thom Yorke.

That is all.

Funny. I'm listening to Thom Yorke now and I love Dylan.
Quote by Holy Katana
The thrash band led by Dave Mustaine. Look, please don't get butthurt, I'm a fan, too. They, like a lot of metal bands, just aren't all that good at writing lyrics. It has never been one of metal's strong suits. There certainly is metal out there with good lyrics, but Megadeth aren't one of them. I don't hate Mustaine's lyrics, I just know that they're not the greatest thing in the world, or anything near it. He's a few cuts above the average metal lyricist, and I enjoy his use of wordplay, but he's not anywhere near Elvis Costello or Elliott Smith in terms of lyrics. At least he tries, unlike some people.

haha I don't go butthurt :P

I just think that his lyrics are some of the best I've heard in metal. Perhaps because there's a meaning to 95% of his songs. Where as many metal bands just ramble about random stuff.
RIP Bernie Mac
RIP Michael Jackson

FUCK YOU DIME!

Quote by Cobain_Is_King

Quote by CliffIsAngry
haha I don't go butthurt :P

I just think that his lyrics are some of the best I've heard in metal. Perhaps because there's a meaning to 95% of his songs. Where as many metal bands just ramble about random stuff.

Yes, and I give him credit for that. Like I said, at least he tries.

That Mario cookie is the coolest cookie I've ever seen, and I've seen a hell of a lot of cool cookies.
Page 1 of 2